Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 06:45   #1

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Switch wonky Garmin for a Humminbird?

Hello
Trying to read, learn, decide... Mostly just more confused

Got a Garmin striker 4 fishfinder for a depthfinder. After hours and hours of phone calls and emails, the Garmin folks said it's a lemon and the battery is a lemon too. They couriered a replacement (to the next lock station).

The replacement seemed fine for about a week. Then we noticed it shuts down sometimes.... maybe if not moving? Seemed sensible (maybe). Then it wouldn't turn on.

After more hours on the phone, the Garmin folks told me to try switching the components of the replacement and the original (not yet returned because there was no UPS anywhere near) until I found a combination that hopefully worked... Now I'm using the new handheld gadget with the old battery. It's ok but still shuts down and sometimes doesn't start.

Connections are all secure. Battery is charged (24 hours charging -- but that's another issue. The charger cord has a light to inform you it's charged, but there's no indication of how much unless you stop looking at the depth and go hunting for battery information. Awkward. Anyways, it got 24 hours charging, as per Garmin's instructions.

I'm on the Rideau (near Ottawa, Canada). There's skinny skinny channels and a lot of very shallow water. A depthfinder that randomly shuts down is a liability. They have nice support people, but I shouldn't have to spend massive amounts of time constantly getting help. I'm also pretty uncomfortable that they think it's fine to solve a problem by using parts from one they already said was defective.

A few people have advised telling Garmin I've had enough, return that, and get a Humminbird. I've been trying to research and compare but I'm not very techy, and am pretty much just getting lost in a pile of information that's turning into gobbledygook.

Any advice or thoughts, please?
Thank you
Ann
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 08:48   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Switch wonky Garmin for a Humminbird?

Whats your battery voltage when the Garmin unit shuts down?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 08:55   #3

I've got the smallest Garmin Striker 4. It's at least 3 years old now. I put the transom transducer in a little tank filled with RV antifreeze so it shoots through the hull. This thing has been a brick - always works. With built-in GPS it records tracks and gives SOG. It gives you the current battery voltage. I love it. Only knocks are: it's sometimes tough to read in sunlight, and there's no way to get the track data out .

So, to the OP... you might have wiring issues. Make sure the little connecters are clean and seated fully into the back of the unit. And tell us about the battery arrangement; are you not running the Striker from your usual house battery?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 11:49   #4

Hello... glad yours is behaving so well

I have the portable kit with its own battery... Boat does have a solar panel which is enough for running lights and a little more but running this would drain it

Connectors look clean, and they're in properly... Wires look fine

Maybe i attract lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I've got the smallest Garmin Striker 4. It's at least 3 years old now. I put the transom transducer in a little tank filled with RV antifreeze so it shoots through the hull. This thing has been a brick - always works. With built-in GPS it records tracks and gives SOG. It gives you the current battery voltage. I love it. Only knocks are: it's sometimes tough to read in sunlight, and there's no way to get the track data out .

So, to the OP... you might have wiring issues. Make sure the little connecters are clean and seated fully into the back of the unit. And tell us about the battery arrangement; are you not running the Striker from your usual house battery?
Old 24-08-2021, 12:08   #5

I can't tell... Have to go looking for that information in a different screen -- when it's on... Doesn't indicate that on the battery. The battery charger cord does have a light that is green when fully charged... Except, on both the original and the replacement, it's never not green even when it's dead

QUOTE=pcmm;3468969]Whats your battery voltage when the Garmin unit shuts down?[/QUOTE]
Old 24-08-2021, 12:09   #6

(I'm using it as a depthfinder, not looking for fish.. just need to know depth)
Old 24-08-2021, 12:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Hello... glad yours is behaving so well

I have the portable kit with its own battery... Boat does have a solar panel which is enough for running lights and a little more but running this would drain it

Connectors look clean, and they're in properly... Wires look fine

Maybe i attract lemons
Tell us more about the boat, please. Does the engine have electric start? What other batteries are already aboard? From the sounds of things, it's the way you're powering the Striker. That portable powering is the lemon, it seems.

We have a little sailboat, we have one group 24 deep cycle battery, and that thing will run the VHF, the Striker, cabin lights, nav lights (all LED) for days. We recharge it with a small portable solar panel, or very occasionally a charger.

There are lots options on the Striker. On the main depth graphic display, we can also see battery voltage and speed over ground. Here's the manual.

I'm sure Humminbird makes a fine unit too, but I think you should be able to use the Striker once you resolve the power issue.
Old 25-08-2021, 09:16   #8

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

In the Rideau if you stay in the channel & follow the charts, depths are 6’. The skinniest parts of the Rideau (6’ or less) I saw were the lock sills and the sand bar just as you go under the 401 at the very S. end. (we had to sign a waver if you drew more than 4’6”). Great trip - enjoy
Old 25-08-2021, 11:09   #9

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I also have a Garmin Striker installed in my Bayliner Classic 242. Had it about 3 years now. It has been completely reliable. The CHIRP technology is really outstanding. A major step up in accuracy under a range of conditions compared to my previous unit. I also suspect your problem is with your battery power supply. I power my Striker off of the 12V house battery bank (2 - 6V golf cart batteries). Works fine.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13   #10

I'm on a Grampian 26 sailboat... powering the Garmin from the battery it came with, plug that in to charge from an outlet when I'm stopped... I have a small solar panel for running lights and cabin lights and can charge the phone, but this would suck that all up (yes I need more solar)

It's behaved the last couple times

Maybe it got too hot? Most humans hereabouts did
Old 04-09-2021, 08:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
I'm on a Grampian 26 sailboat... powering the Garmin from the battery it came with, plug that in to charge from an outlet when I'm stopped... I have a small solar panel for running lights and cabin lights and can charge the phone, but this would suck that all up (yes I need more solar)

It's behaved the last couple times

Maybe it got too hot? Most humans hereabouts did
On a 26' boat, you should ideally have a decent 12v house battery for lights, instruments, vhf, chargers. And that's what should power the Striker, if it's going to be aboard full-time. The Striker takes a little more than an amp of current; if you don't have LED lighting, your lighting probably takes more current.

We have one Group 24 12v deep-cycle battery (CDN$180), and when fully charged, it will hold up our VHF, Striker, nav and cabin lighting (all LED now), charge our devices, and power our FM radio, for days of normal frugal use. I use a small solar panel (18 x 18") to keep the battery topped up and seldom need to give it a charge from shorepower.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:51   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Sure sounds like a wonky connection somewhere. Nearly all electrical issues we have faced were poor connections and most of those were crimps. I now solder all of them after crimping. It’s also possible to have a bad plug and socket connection. Cycle them a few times and perhaps a tiny kink in the prongs. Also, assemble with dielectric grease.

We view depth instruments as the most important of all. We have two. One is pure depth. The other is a fishing sonar on the Simrad plotter. We look for both functioning and agreeing.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin