Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2024, 15:21   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Tablet Nav Station Dummies

I'm going ultra KISS on my new boat and am interested in running Navionics on an iPad but my iPad is not SIM enabled so doesn't have integral fix capabilites. What is the best (cheapest) Bluetooth GPS? Or is it better to do a wireless NMEA bridge?
Old 29-06-2024, 16:24   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Tablet Nav Station Dummies

My first preference would be the NMEA bridge, assuming you have data worth consuming (wind, depth, etc).

It also means one less device to worry about keeping charged (or one less random device taking up a charging port, or one less random bit of clutter lying around).
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 04:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
My first preference would be the NMEA bridge, assuming you have data worth consuming (wind, depth, etc).

It also means one less device to worry about keeping charged (or one less random device taking up a charging port, or one less random bit of clutter lying around).
I do not plan on having any of those things. Just gps.
Old 30-06-2024, 04:39   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I do not plan on having any of those things. Just gps.
Not even depth?
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 08:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Not even depth?

What you don't know can't hurt you.
miketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 09:18   #6

I'm no expert, but I have successfully used an ancient ipad mini without a data plan or anything, but it has built in GPS and can place you on pre-loaded Navionics maps. Just check the site that gives the abilities of the different ipad models and check to make sure yours has GPS. No cell tower proximity matters, the GPS works on its own.

Google "compare ipad models by year" or similar
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 09:41   #7

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

If you just want GPS then a bluetooth GPS receiver will work fine. I have a Bad Elf Pro Bluetooth GPS (discontinued) that I used to take with me on charters along with my IPAD. Very accurate and works great with Navionics or whatever App you will use. Searching Google, it looks like there are plenty of them for about $100. On the other hand, NMEA bridges are not much more than that.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 09:47   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43

I use an iPad Air 2 with Navionics that is eight or nine years old. It has built in GPS. Its been my primary source of navigation for the entire time even though I have two chart plotters aboard.
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 12:34   #9

The OP is considering using Navionics with an older tablet. Is it true that the new version of Navionics, now owned by Garmin and subscription-based, NO LONGER functions on older tablets?

Anyone know what tablets are compatible with the new Navionics? Is it possible to get older copies of Navionics charts to avoid this problem?
suenodelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:17   #10

Mine is an iPad Mini 4, and it worked last month just fine.
Old 01-07-2024, 14:20   #11

One more detail that you probably already know, but in case you do not:

Let's say you buy a 1-year subscription to Navionics' Mexico, Caribbean to Brazil. You would need to download a (usually small) subset of that subscription onto your iPad before leaving on your trip. Then the iPad has the map and the GPS shows your location on that downloaded map.

Beyond that, the cheapest is your iphone, with a suitable mapping app. But a bigger screen is much more easy to use at sea.
Old 02-07-2024, 16:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
If you just want GPS then a bluetooth GPS receiver will work fine. I have a Bad Elf Pro Bluetooth GPS (discontinued) that I used to take with me on charters along with my IPAD. Very accurate and works great with Navionics or whatever App you will use. Searching Google, it looks like there are plenty of them for about $100. On the other hand, NMEA bridges are not much more than that.

One would think, but they all seem to require SIM or subscription fees.
Old 02-07-2024, 16:33   #13

And say I did go with an NMEA wireless hub with GPS antenna outputting NMEA. What would be the best combo of those two things?

I do have an Airmar depth sounder (not hooked up) on the boat so should probably just go that route.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:09   #14

Boat: Catalina 385 #9

We use two WiFi only iPads and a Bad Elf blue tooth GPS. There are several models of Bad Elf available, ours is hanging inside over the chart table constantly on charge.

We also have two iPhones as backups that have GPS built in. These four devices are each loaded with the Navionics app.

The boat has a Raymarine chart plotter with Navionics installed. Chart updates can be loaded on line to the iPads or phones and ‘synced’ to the chart plotter via its own built in WiFi.

Passage planning and nav are mostly done on the iPad. Works well, bright enough under the Bimini/dodger/connector shade canvas in sunny Florida. Heading gets a bit glitchy at very low speed on the iPad as it uses sequential GPS fixes to determine direction of travel where the Raymarine has heading data directly available on the network so is more stable. Our AIS and radar are only available via the Raymarine chart plotter. Some AIS devices can be accessed via blue tooth and displayed on iPads. I think it is possible to display and control some radars via an iPad app.

The main iPad has a waterproof case (plenty to choose from) and we have it charging while in use, it will deplete the battery fairly quickly otherwise. A RAM mount over the helm station keeps it safe and away from the compass. In very wet weather, the charge connector (lightening) needs some putty to seal it where it goes into the case otherwise it will let water in.

For us, this has been a practical and reliable setup for several thousand cruising miles. Take spare charging cables and (high output) adaptors as we have had those give up on us after a while from getting sloshed with seawater too often.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Alan
Airship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 09:19   #15

I've been using a SkyPro XGPS 160 with my ipads that don't have cellular for several years now and it works great. Has an internal battery but I normally just leave it plugged in to a usb power source. My version does have one of those really old USB connectors, so have to be careful to bring that cord along, but other than that, works great. Connects to American, Russian and Chinese GPS and will connect to 5 devices at once.
mdhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote