Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 06:35   #61

Re: Tablet no chart plotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakenkade View Post
I would like to include other things like speed depth...to display on a tablet as well. And be wireless...
I use a Raymarine Dragonfly with wifi and have a couple of Samsung tablets(8"/$99 with GPS).

This system replaced a Garmin networked system that gave me fits.

As a bonus I have my cell phone connected to the Raymarine.

To be clear the Tablets/phones dont need the Raymarine to navigate and only get sonar/depth from the unit.

The raymarine dragonfly 4 is under $300 with Navionics platinum/downvision/traditional sonar.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:24   #62

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

This is tangential but along the idea of inexpensive systems I installed and have been super happy with my Quark-Elec A026 AIS receiver with built in GPS and WiFi. About $100 on Tindie and it will stream AIS + GPS data to all my computers/tablets/phones.

I'm in the belt and suspenders camp having a chart plotter, laptop, tablet and phone all available for navigation. Of those the AIS receiver talks to all but the chart plotter. I'm still working on that.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:25   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
Interpretation
what I am hearing you say is that you have a whole bunch of devices bought on the cheap daisychained together to cover the gaps you wouldnt experience with a chartplotter.

Again here's the thing, all these items werent ever for free, since you cant trade out of them as you are using them for the boat they still have a cost.
Ah, but my tablet and phone with a water proof case and mount costs 1/4 or less then a dedicated chart plotter. Heck it's half the cost of my old dinky garmin 187 which it's 5" screen, before chart chip.

So I can buy two of everything, and still save big bucks over a spendy 10" chartplotter that can overlay radar. A nice feature, but then I don't have radar.

My tablet does chart plotting, shows AIS (coastal), weather, tides, and in a pinch I can make a call or send a text with it. No it will not talk to my autopilot. It is a compromise. But it is viable.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:30   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjuliano View Post
For everyone who is Android-Tablet based, as we are, Can you recommend a ruggedized tablet? I plan to buy one in the next couple of weeks.

Do they need to be used with a stylus?
I recently acquired a Samsung Tab Active T365, which is somewhat ruggedized and waterproof.

This is the third tablet on board after an ancient Mark 1 IPad and a waterproof-ish but very fragile Sony Xperia Z2.

Downside of the Samsung is that it is 8" compared to 10" for the other two, so even less suitable for any kind of planning. But it's also an upside because the size is really handy -- you can actually get it into a pocket.

The Sony has a gorgeous 2K HDR screen but it's very fragile, and I soon smashed the screen. I have not yet been able to find an economical way to repair it, but I'll get around to it someday.

The Samsung has a vastly inferior screen in terms of color, depth, resolution, but it is much brighter than the other tablets -- almost daylight viewable. It is also quite solidly made and is supposed to be actually ruggedized. It is not a consumer device but designed and intended for enterprise use. I got a deal on it (about $100) in used but flawless mint condition because it was locked with MobiControl, which the seller couldn't figure out how to get rid of. New it is quite expensive but I think might be worth it for boat use. It is genuinely waterproof with real waterproof ports, rather than flaps like the Sony. I think we want any tablet used on the boat to be decently rugged, as things tend to get tossed around in a seaway, which is how I smashed my Sony.

I still use the ancient IPad for different things (including INavX) and am amazed that it will works -- it must be 8 or 9 years old by now. It's a solid piece of equipment. Unfortunately I don't like Apple stuff, and the Apple approach has real drawbacks for us -- so hard to get a file onto the darned things, for example.

I've said it before but will repeat -- I don't recommend using tablets as primary navigation unless you just don't go anywhere where close pilotage can be critical. There are huge advantages to having a dedicated marine plotter, rugged, really waterproof, daylight visible, hard wired to ship's power supply, at the helm. And it's so cheap now that here is really no excuse. Tablet is great backup, plus I use it for GoFree to mirror the plotter (I can even operate the radar set) while I'm cowering under the sprayhood.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:33   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ah, but my tablet and phone with a water proof case and mount costs 1/4 or less then a dedicated chart plotter. Heck it's half the cost of my old dinky garmin 187 which it's 5" screen, before chart chip.

So I can buy two of everything, and still save big bucks over a spendy 10" chartplotter that can overlay radar. A nice feature, but then I don't have radar.

My tablet does chart plotting, shows AIS (coastal), weather, tides, and in a pinch I can make a call or send a text with it. No it will not talk to my autopilot. It is a compromise. But it is viable.
And don’t forget to mention all of the other wonderful things your tablets and smartphone will do that the dedicated chartplotter can’t do. They’re mobile, they take photos, surf the web, ebay, amazon, watch or shoot videos, music, shop for the best prices on shoes, cat food and lotions and post stuff like this on CF.

Pam
OrinocoFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:49   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
And don’t forget to mention all of the other wonderful things your tablets and smartphone will do that the dedicated chartplotter can’t do. They’re mobile, they take photos, surf the web, ebay, amazon, watch or shoot videos, music, shop for the best prices on shoes, cat food and lotions and post stuff like this on CF.

Pam
Sure, but having an actual marine plotter does not require you to get rid of your tablets It is not forbidden to have both

Small marine plotters cost peanuts these days. The B&G Vulcan 5 is only $399, similar to the cost of that third tablet: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...741&id=3214537
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 08:07   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sure, but having an actual marine plotter does not require you to get rid of your tablets It is not forbidden to have both

Small marine plotters cost peanuts these days. The B&G Vulcan 5 is only $399, similar to the cost of that third tablet: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...741&id=3214537
Sure, but I ordered 20 pounds of cat food and 150 pounds of cat litter the other day on chewy.com and had it delivered to my front door with free shipping using my ipad/chartplotter. Just try to do that sometime on your dedicated helm mounted chartplotter and let us know how well it works out for you.

Pam (Flo)
OrinocoFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 08:28   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure, but I ordered 20 pounds of cat food and 150 pounds of cat litter the other day on chewy.com and had it delivered to my front door with free shipping using my ipad/chartplotter. Just try to do that sometime on your dedicated helm mounted chartplotter and let us know how well it works out for you.

Pam (Flo)
Like I said -- the choice is not either/or.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 09:42   #69

Quote:

Pam (Flo)
I have a similar setup and I have been caught up in selling the tech to other boats..

BUT you cannot read a tablet in direct sunlight and chartplotters are built to much much higher standards of operation.

I've had an ipad force close the app for the day and a Samsung freeze at a critical moment.. I keep a backup(my phone and the plotter itself) but one cannot deny that they can get hot and just refuse to work right every once in awhile.

I wouldn't spend the money on a networked system on my trawler but wouldn't depend on just a tablet either...

IMO a budget plotter/fishfinder with wifi and a tablet is a no brainer even if just for browsing on the hook. They also make a wifi transducer if you want to skip the plotter but I'd recommend having 2 tablets or a tablet/phone running just in case.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 10:05   #70

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
given the marine environment, what is more likely to go down first
I've had a chartplotter go down and a external GPS which the chart plotter needed, and a PC, but haven't had a tablet go down yet. Batteries have deteriorated over the years but none have stopped.

I would have argued your point once upon a time.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 10:10   #71

Quote:
I recently acquired a Samsung Tab Active T365, which is somewhat ruggedized and waterproof.

This is the third tablet on board after an ancient Mark 1 IPad and a waterproof-ish but very fragile Sony Xperia Z2.

Downside of the Samsung is that it is 8" compared to 10" for the other two, so even less suitable for any kind of planning. But it's also an upside because the size is really handy -- you can actually get it into a pocket.

The Sony has a gorgeous 2K HDR screen but it's very fragile, and I soon smashed the screen. I have not yet been able to find an economical way to repair it, but I'll get around to it someday.

The Samsung has a vastly inferior screen in terms of color, depth, resolution, but it is much brighter than the other tablets -- almost daylight viewable. It is also quite solidly made and is supposed to be actually ruggedized. It is not a consumer device but designed and intended for enterprise use. I got a deal on it (about $100) in used but flawless mint condition because it was locked with MobiControl, which the seller couldn't figure out how to get rid of. New it is quite expensive but I think might be worth it for boat use. It is genuinely waterproof with real waterproof ports, rather than flaps like the Sony. I think we want any tablet used on the boat to be decently rugged, as things tend to get tossed around in a seaway, which is how I smashed my Sony.

I still use the ancient IPad for different things (including INavX) and am amazed that it will works -- it must be 8 or 9 years old by now. It's a solid piece of equipment. Unfortunately I don't like Apple stuff, and the Apple approach has real drawbacks for us -- so hard to get a file onto the darned things, for example.

I've said it before but will repeat -- I don't recommend using tablets as primary navigation unless you just don't go anywhere where close pilotage can be critical. There are huge advantages to having a dedicated marine plotter, rugged, really waterproof, daylight visible, hard wired to ship's power supply, at the helm. And it's so cheap now that here is really no excuse. Tablet is great backup, plus I use it for GoFree to mirror the plotter (I can even operate the radar set) while I'm cowering under the sprayhood.
Hey Dh, I disagree with you with "its so cheap now" particularly when you taken in the purchasing of chips. It's all relative and chartplotters aren't cheap relative to tablets, maybe cheaper than they were but not cheap.

They should be cheaper, they're just a waterproof tablet with limited features in a plastic box.
Old 19-03-2018, 10:12   #72

Quote:

It's smaller than my phone and more expensive than my 10 inch tablet!
Old 19-03-2018, 10:56   #73

Playing devils advocate. I think the cost in setup time and possible aggravation is much higher with the tablet setup. At least I think there is a perception that the tablet setup would be.

It also puts more power and control in the hands of the owner. It’s not plug n play.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:04   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hey Dh, I disagree with you with "its so cheap now" particularly when you taken in the purchasing of chips. It's all relative and chartplotters aren't cheap relative to tablets, maybe cheaper than they were but not cheap.

They should be cheaper, they're just a waterproof tablet with limited features in a plastic box.
OK, well, everyone will decide for himself, of course.

But the prices of marine plotters has fallen drastically over the last decade, and some people started using tablets because they just couldn't afford the several thousand that the cheapest real plotter cost. It's already much, much easier to get into a real marine plotter.

I don't agree, however, that marine plotters are "just waterproof tablets etc.". They have true daylight visible screens (expensive), they are rugged, they are really waterproof, they have touchscreens which work with gloves and in the rain. They have waterproof ports for N2K and other network devices. They run only the plotter app with no possibility of crashes caused by some random app or game or whatever you are using it for in parallel. I actually think they are amazingly cheap considering what they are. The true daylight visible screen with outdoor touch matrix alone would cost more than these things do, if we bought them ourselves.

Nothing against tablets -- I have 3 of them on board -- but I sail a lot in complex and unfamiliar waters and a lot at night. The plotter is a critical device; plus I use radar. I would never consider a tablet a substitute for a plotter, for my own use pattern, but -- YMMV, of course.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 11:07   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's smaller than my phone and more expensive than my 10 inch tablet!

its ok, you will be able to connect your 4 tablets and 4 fones wirelessly
You wont be able to see them outside but hey ...