Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 09:04   #1

Tacktick Instruments

Any comments about the installation and/or useage of the ticktack instruments specifically the entry level wireless depth system which includes the transducer, display and transmitter?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 09:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Tacktick Instruments

I use the wind instrument and have on the last boat too. The depth should work fine but you do need to power the transducer so it's not totally wireless. Since you still need to wire the transducer the signal isn't that much more work depen diong on where you want it. The wiring is where you really save with TackTick.

I do like to bring the wind display below at night so I can see the readings in the middle of the night from a comfy berth.

TackTick integrates with all the units you have once you get them in a pile close to each other. They find each other and automatically use data from each other as appropriate. I will say this - they work. There are no serviceable parts or an easy way to take them apart. That could be a good thing. The warranty coverage and support is quite good. I'm not sure who the US distributor (for support) is but it used to be the same guys that do Edson and a few other products. You don't have to call the UK for support unless you live there
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 10:27   #3

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

Just installed Tick Tack wind indicator and am happy. Notes: The anemometer was installed from a bosun's chair - getting it parallel to the ship's axis and drilling new holes was hard. Later, took mast down to install spinnaker crane and tapped the holes for bolts instead of the supplied screws. Used velcro to mount display in the cabin - didn't want to drill holes in teak. I, too, like to be able to see the wind data from the nav sta. On the exterior, I used the supplied sticky backs to mount it next to the companionway for viewing by helmsman and trimmers. Glad I did, since the initial position was not optimal - and the display eventually became unglued from them. Moved it to the other side of companionway and screwed/bedded it on. Be careful to allow enough room either side - almost mounted it too close to the companionway! The viewing angle is critical - up close at an angle the background images make the data hard to read, and the display is not huge for tired old eyes, so reading it from afar is sometimes problematic. The only complaint I have is that my young helmsmen try to fly the display instead of the tell tales. Grown up on too many video games! I keep telling them that they need to feel the rudder and look at the sails, then check the display now and again. Reality is the wind and water, not the display! BTW, that goes for GPS/radar chartplotters, too, look around and use all of the environmental info and don't rely on instruments entirely. But you probably already do that.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 10:48   #4
cruiser

Don't know if it matters at all but TackTick was acquired by Rarmarine yesterday. Announcements are pretty easy to find.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 10:52   #5

Boat: Prout 46

While we are on the subject, does anybody know the difference between the "ENTRY LEVEL" Tacktick wind indicator system (T033 or T035) and their more expensive system besides the fact that the "ENTRY LEVEL" display is hard wired to the 12 volt?
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir cat View Post
While we are on the subject, does anybody know the difference between the "ENTRY LEVEL" Tacktick wind indicator system (T033 or T035) and their more expensive system besides the fact that the "ENTRY LEVEL" display is hard wired to the 12 volt?
I have the same question about the "entry level" depth system. I also noticed that the display for the entry level called for a hard wire to the 12 volt which I preferred since there is already the wiring at the helm. I just did not want to run another transducer cable to the helm.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I also noticed that the display for the entry level called for a hard wire to the 12 volt which I preferred since there is already the wiring at the helm.
With the wireless displays you can mount a flat bracket so you can put the brackets in multiple locations and just move the display around or have multiple displays. The brackets only extend out 1/8 inch so it's impossible to snag anything on them. They take some sun light to stay charged but they too allow a 12 volt fixed install as well. The charge lasts a very long time and does not require direct sun to charge.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:08   #8

We leave the backlight on on our display all the time and sunlight keeps it charged.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 10:59   #9

Anyone know a good source (i.e. lowest price) for Tacktick? I'm in the market for a T112 Analog Display, but the best price I can find is $617 from J&H.

Also, I have two T110 (single line displays) and I'd like to replace them with a single T111 (dual line display). Anyone have any interest in some kind of trade?
StanleyCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 16:22   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I did a google search on "TackTick T112" and came up with $603 with shipping. The T110 runs about $463. It's better than it used to be. At least now they can be purchased from more than one source.
Old 17-07-2011, 17:03   #11

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I have the same question about the "entry level" depth system. I also noticed that the display for the entry level called for a hard wire to the 12 volt which I preferred since there is already the wiring at the helm. I just did not want to run another transducer cable to the helm.

I have a T033 ( yachts up to 35 ft) entry level windspeed/direction installed and as far as I am aware ALL displays are hard wired 12v, it's only the sender at the top of the mast that is solar powered.

An issue with mine is loss of signal at times which may be due to the display being under a GRP dodger. This puzzles me as the Garmin GPS is in the same location.
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 17:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a T033 ( yachts up to 35 ft) entry level windspeed/direction installed and as far as I am aware ALL displays are hard wired 12v, it's only the sender at the top of the mast that is solar powered
Actually not. The NMEA, depth and speed log sensors are clearly in darkness and have to be powered. Nothing else has to be powered except the entry level displays. They can be handy and cheaper installed down below.

Quote:
An issue with mine is loss of signal at times which may be due to the display being under a GRP dodger.
I do find this to be true some times but it's not a GRP dodger issue I can tell you that much. The US navy has a nasty habit of generating some serious RF. I did have two GPS's and all my TackTick displays get a shot of something that lasted the better part of a half day after a good wack. It gave the equipment a serious sun burn that didn't wear off all that soon.

When you get a display outage you need to turn off the display and restart it. The design is such that power on initiates a search for sensors and the search eventually times out if none can be had. I'm not clear on all the possible sources for interference but given we live in Hampton Roads Virgina - home of the US Navy Atlantic Fleet we do run into situations where the US Navy is testing something and they clearly have the ability to trash electronics as a defensive weapon. It's not been found to be permanent so far other than the one time it lasted half a day from one shot of something. In that case it wiped out a Ray Marine ST50 wired wind display too. The ST50 depth meter will get a sunburn if you run over something directly under the sensor too. The bad news is it only happens when the water is really shallow.

Your sensors are subject to overload no matter what kind you have. The effect can last a short period of time. A proper watch and charts is the only insurance.
Old 21-07-2011, 16:11   #13

Thanks for the good tips. I see the wired analog display - T031 - is part of the "T033 wind system". This would work for my needs, but I cannot find it anywhere in the USA that it is sold separately from the wind system. The only one I found was a European seller (Tacktick T031 Entry-Level Wind DISPLAY ONLY | Marine Super Store).
StanleyCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 10:59   #14

Boat: Hunter 340

I bought the Tacktick mn-102. Great system for wind speed and direction. I run a Garmin 545 GPS as well. Right now I have the GPS connected to the autopilot and VHF radio. I would like to hook the GPS to my wind indicator for the true wind values.
Does anyone know how this is accomplished? Do I need to buy an interface unit from Tacktick?
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 15:37   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would like to hook the GPS to my wind indicator for the true wind values.
Does anyone know how this is accomplished? Do I need to buy an interface unit from Tacktick?
Yes, they sell a NMEA interface that can take a NMEA input. You can also add their GPS too. Once the NMEA input is added it integrates with any other connected transponders and displays. I've thought about adding it myself since the wind display would display quite a bit of the information.