Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2011, 12:37   #211

On the flip side, we loved using the iPad and splashtop remote desktop to mirror the nav PC in the cockpit at night and during fog. Works awesome!

Also Weather 4D HD released a new version with wave data models and CAPE. Great when you have wifi!
Old 29-11-2011, 03:48   #212
Marine Service Provider

Re: The Marine iPad . . .

here is a free comparison chart for navigation apps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Table3.pdf (43.0 KB, 205 views)
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 11:12   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
After much screwing around and wasting money on useless apps, I ended up settling on ReaddleDocs.

I wanted it mostly for PDF documents (user manuals etc...) but it also works for word documents and powerpoint.

For a quick test I loaded and Excel file and it did display but with the 450kb spreadsheet I loaded it was very slow.

With ReaddleDocs there are several ways to get documents to the iPad. Add via itunes, create the iPad as a drive on your network for drag & drop, email attachments, download from the internet and downloading from various online storage sites.
+1

I use ReadleDocs in conjunction with my gmail account as well as Dropbox.
With Dropbox i can drag a document into the dropbox folder on the PC or Mac and it will automatically send the file to the ipad. Very simple.

As far as Excel sheets, it can be hit and miss, if you work in an office and rely heavily on excel documents it can be frustrating as Microsoft Excel is not on the iPad, that said Numbers and Quick Office connect are able to view and manipulate Excel files all be it a little clumsily. If you use spreadsheets on a personal basis than its really not bad. The problem is if you want to adjust a spreadsheet that was started on Microsoft Excel and then send it back to the computer formats will be altered in the conversion. I have several calculators I developed in class for compound interest and things of the like that work very well once transfered to the iPad.

As far as word documents, in college I have produced several very nice looking projects using pages alone. The process was just a little slower without a hard keyboard.
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06   #214

Boat: Herman Boro Centre Cockpit 54Ft Eagle Spirit

"Since we are preparing for our upcoming cruise, we are going nearly paperless." Your quots=e
Better take some paper charts with You the number of boats running in to reefs using electronic charts is enormou. several American yachts have hit reefs and some sunk in the west Pacific Nice to llok at but nothing beats it on paper as many I say many electronic charts are in accurate
Rossmonty01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad