Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 20:30   #16

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Just as a side note: We have been using sshd's in our patrol cars for a while now running xp (our law enforcement app is not up to Vista) and have seen good results with it. Even though xp is not optimized to run on sshd, we have had no problem and field use (read that "real world use") shows no noticable difference in performance from the spinning platters that we used to use.

Sounds like I will have to give more attention to the XO myself. I like the idea of the "Get one, Give One" program mentioned. I will look into that more.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhflts View Post
I've made my decision on the platform. OLPC XOXO. They are cheap, tough, can run windows and you can benefit children in poverty stricken countries via the Give 1 Get 1 program. http://laptopgiving.org/
That's the problem with waiting for Utopia: you are always going to be waiting! And while you are waiting for the XOXO, something "better" is going to show up on the horizon, and then something even better than that.

I would choose my deadline, and not worry too much about the specific platform/software until perhaps six months before you need it. Then, just get something, whatever is the best fit and is actually available and stable.

My current computer is the Asus EeePc 1000HA -- a small, low-power XP machine. On this I run Expedition charting and routing software, and my own NavMonPc program, as well as AirMail, ViewFax, and the XGate (iridium satphone) software.

The EeePc also runs all the other standard software, but the screen is small, and the computer is no speed-demon. I wouldn't want to do video editing on it. I had previously used the even-smaller EeePc 4G, (running XP) for all this, and while it worked very well, I do like the slightly larger format of the 1000HA.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42   #18

Only problem is that the XO2 or XOXO will not be out for a while. The current one is a bit of a clunker. So we have to wait for 6-12 months and work on something in the interim.

Cheers.

Ben.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:52   #19

Boat: Westsail 32
Those do look interesting. However, I would check system requirements of any software you plan to use. Not saying it won't work mind you, but don't get too excited until you confirm the hardware can support the software.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:01   #20

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
[quote=bbhflts;280064]Hey Fishman.

"You just kicked off another tangent, but hey, I couldn't help myself."

Oh well HDD or SSD, either way; keep a fully provisioned/programmed redundant drive available.
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:49   #21

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhflts View Post
I've made my decision on the platform. OLPC XOXO. They are cheap, tough, can run windows and you can benefit children in poverty stricken countries via the Give 1 Get 1 program. http://laptopgiving.org/
Uh, I think you're jumping the gun. As I understand it, the XO 2.0 won't be released until 2010, and an interim v1.5 sometime this year. I think that's the one which will have enough drive space to handle WinXP, which Microsoft dragged out of mothballs to combat Linux in the netbook space.

Just get a cheap netbook with enough RAM and SSD space to run XP.

To throw in a tangent to the OSX vs Windows thread, I'm using Linux (Fedora 10 and Ubuntu 9.04 - testing both before I decide to chunk Fedora 9) for my onboard media system, and I'm finally getting around to testing various nav programs under WINE in Linux, or I'll just run a VM with real WinXP in it. It's a SFF computer with a DC power supply - not a laptop or netbook. We already have three of those on the boat!
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 16:20   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
I love my Raynav software. It doesn't do DSC, but it will integrate system monitoring, navigation, route planning, weather and radar
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 07:14   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
If you read my previous posts in this thread you would see that I used a small desktop PC for my Nav computer. Though it lasted 2 years it finally died about a month ago. I have now purchased a ASUS 1000HE and installed Coastal Explorer 2009 on it. I've had it out for one day sail so far and it has worked just fine. I chose the SE because it has a maximum power draw of 30 watts and a 9 hour battery. My experience so far is that even driving the USB powered Garmin GPS18, I'm getting over 8 hours off of the battery. It also works well driving my large monitor if I want when I'm running under power. I really like being able to reduce my power draw when running under sail. The HE model also has built in bluetooth so I can still use my full size wireless mouse and keyboard, though the built in keyboard is not that bad, only slightly smaller than standard, I hate those finger pads that substitute for a mouse, but that's a personal preference.

I have tried the unit on deck and found that I can read the display in full sun unless the sun is directly over my shoulder and shining on the screen. Under the hardtop it is completely usable. In addition, this unit comes with a zippered neoprene cover. By keeping the unit in that cover when not in use along with a silica gel packet, I'm hoping to avoid some of the issues of a computer in a high humidity boat environment.

So far I'm completely happy with the machine. From time to time I'll update this thread with any issues or successes using CE on a netbook. So far this seems to be a very good low cost solution to an on board nav computer.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote