Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30   #151

All, I no longer (since Thursday morning) have use of my non-XO activities on my XO. Has there been an automated update of the XO OS recently? I can't load OPERA, SeaClear or any Activity outside of the XO standard repertoire. Any information would be helpful. This all occurred after I copied the .wav to the wine folder, but I don't think it is linked since everything on the XO worked right after that change.
agkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17   #152

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Alan,

Maybe it heard you were thinking of going to Ubuntu and got nasty. Can you start:
1. winecfg?
2. Can you start SeaClear the old way by entering:
wine "C:\Program Files\SeaClear\SeaClear_2.exe" ?

Paul

PS. Didn't you have a lot of that stuff on an SD card or a memory stick?
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38   #153

Paul, I can't find wine! All of the added-in activities are gone! Looks like something interesting"occurred on Wednesday. Is there a "Find"command to allow an easy search?

Thanks,

Alan
Old 06-04-2008, 11:43   #154

All of the SD contents appear to be OK. I do have the developer key implemented, but that was done over a month back.
Old 06-04-2008, 15:14   #155

Install locate:
su -
yum install slocate (might be: yum install mlocate)

Then issue:
su -
updatedb

then you find things by:

locate wine

Paul
Old 07-04-2008, 14:14   #156

Paul, Thanks, that works and all the files seem to exist. The pathnames appear OK but I noticed a change in how my main screen operates. When I first received the XO I changed the HOT corners by modifying a OS file. Now the HOT corners are back. I'll have to recall how I made that change, but even if I change it again that doesn't explain the current operation or lack thereof. when I cd /home/olpc/ I don't see the .wine directory. If I cd .wine then I see 2 sub-directories and 3 files xxx.reg.
Is the .wine a hidden file? I'll look back through our past post and see where I modified file pathnames. It's like a file with critical pathnames for the added in applications has gotten deleted....but I never deleted anything....I know of!

Alan
Old 07-04-2008, 16:32   #157

Alan,

Yes any directories that begin with '.' are hidden. to see them do a:

ls -a

You never answered the question whether you can start your SeaClear activity by issuing: wine "C:\Program Files\SeaClear\SeaCler_2.exe"

Even if wine is gone it doesn't explain Opera which is not a wine program.

Paul
Old 08-04-2008, 01:18   #158

Alan,

Have you checked to see if any of your "disks" are full or nearly so? Do a:
df -k

and check the Use% to see if any are high, like 90%.

Also, check the log viewer after trying to start SeaClear/Opera to see if there are any errors reported.

Paul
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59   #159

Boat: 1967 Starcraft 16' - 1961 Mercury 70hp
Alan,

I had not yet attempted loading Seaclear, but the few additions I have made (Opera, Adobe flash, border popup change etc...) to my XO are all still with me. What build are you using? Mine came with 650, and I has upgrded to 656.
I read a new build is due out anyday.
tyrntlzrdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55   #160

I did try the wine path and got a "wine: command not found". Looks like I still have about 55% of the FLASH unused. I think I am running 653, but I've forgotten how to get the version out of terminal. This whole problem has got to be something I did wrong when I was moving the .wav files using Midnight Commander. That is another thing that doesn't run out of the terminal. Using locate mc I see it is as /home/olpc/.mc . When I try to run out of the [olpc@xo-10-C8-41 ~] directory it get mc: command not found. What is the difference between the use of / and \ as separators?
Old 08-04-2008, 13:11   #161

I found the command to show the version cat /etc/issue. I see at Update paths - OLPC
that one person has experienced the loss of use for add ins, similar to my experience, after an upgrade to 656.

And now the proof, I am apparently now running 656 after I use the above command.
To the best of my knowledge I didn't do a update, so there must be an auto update "feature"built in to the XO. I'll dig around on the web for more info on this.

Alan
Old 08-04-2008, 13:24   #162

OK, Verrry interesting! I was updated on Wednesday night, while I slept soundly. I held the O (right game pad) down at boot and was restored to 653, then tried SeaClear and it worked fine. SOOO ! Wonder how I get 656 and the latest firmware into the XO and still preserve the operation of my add in activities? HELP!
Old 08-04-2008, 13:28   #163

Alan,

I don't think you can. Doing an update will lose all the applicatins you have installed. The only option is to reinstall everything again. That is why I keep a script on how to install them all again.

I think this a good incentive to go to Ubuntu.

Paul
Old 08-04-2008, 14:47   #164

I agree on Ubuntu. I updated my boot flash to Q2D14, what are you running? When I toggle back to 653 all files are still around and usable, just can't get to them via whatever pathname file is used by 656. Seems like a significant oversight the OLPC developers. What were they thinking?
Old 08-04-2008, 16:58   #165

I'm at 656, don't know what Q2D14 is. Really strange it updated by itself. Actually because its so quiet and uses so little power, I often leave it on for days with an internet connection. So far I haven't been updated but then I guess 656 is the highest version right now.

I guess the XO developers wanted to make upgrading as easy as possible for kids around the world by doing it this way.

Anyway I'm staying on Ubuntu but I wish I could find a version of it that supports bluetooth. That's about the only thing I haven't been able to get working that was on my original list.

Paul

Tags
navigation