Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07   #316

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
okay, so not so bad and just add those it 2-3 degrees on your course to steer
note that the deviation actually tends to vary depending on the compass course imHo!
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 17:53   #317

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I tried out the XO at the helm on Canada Day with a sail over to Toronto island. It worked very well.

On the way back my AIS alarm went off. It reported my first Class B response which was coming from an American trawler coming up behind us.

I found another use for my XO. I wrote a program to monitor my Globalstar phone. In gives me an alert when it has a signal for a specified time so I can try to make a call. Plan to enhance it to actually make the call when the alarm goes off.
Old 05-07-2009, 18:49   #318

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cpn-13653.html

might solve your prolem, very tiny program, runs under LINUX (debian based) and Windows AND displays CM93 worldwide charts & ENC & others
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 04:45   #319

I discovered that SeaClear which has a nice feature that allows you to create log entries whenever you want by pressing F7 or automatically (like when you reach a waypoint). Each log entry contains the date/time your lat/lon, total miles you've logged and whatever you enter.

I wrote a program that takes the Seaclear log file and formats it into a Google Earth KML (or GPX) file that allows me to send it to friends and keep for my own record.

Attached is an example of the KML file. If you have Google Earth installed, you can download it and double click on it and it will bring up Google Earth. If you click on the points it will popup the log entry.

Probably not a legal logbook but it is very convenient to use since I have the SeaClear running all the time on an XO computer which draws very little current
Old 19-08-2009, 13:59   #320

Boat: Endevour,sloop,40 Destiny
Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
You tech guys are great but for a layman like me to try to understand all the tech talk, is imposable. I was wondering if there were someone out there that could lead me in the proper direction....???? I will be sailing to the
Old 19-08-2009, 13:59   #321

Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
You tech guys are great but for a layman like me to try to understand all the tech talk, is imposable. I was wondering if there were someone out there that could lead me in the proper direction....???? I will be sailing
Old 19-08-2009, 14:10   #322

In search of a lap top

You tech guys are great but for a layman like me to try to understand all the tech talk, is imposable. I was wondering if there were someone out there that could lead me in the proper direction....???? I will be sailing to the Bahammas this fall, I would like a computer that has XP NOT vista. I plan on using the computer/laptop for text only while useing "sailmail" or another server, if I find one better. I have an SSB which I plan on using with the computer. Also wifi at local pubs, I have read there is an antenna one could buy and it is good for about 5 miles off shore for wifi also.... Is there anyone that can lend a hand or a few recomendations on this subject??? Thanks,,,, Jim
Old 19-08-2009, 15:19   #323

As you probably have found out, its very difficult to find a computer with XP installed. Usually they only offer new ones with Vista or now System 7.

I tried in vain to buy one with XP but finally bought a new laptop with Vista and I now I think Vista has got an undeserved bad rap. In fact I was so impressed by it that I also installed Vista on my wife's laptop computer which use to have XP and ran very, very hot but with Vista it seems to run a lot cooler. So it asks you to verify when a program tries to run, big deal, it just prevents unwanted intruders getting in and destroying your PC. Granted you will need more memory but now days 2Gig is the the minimum for new PCs anyway.

Or you could go with a new PC and put on Linux which a lot of people on this thread swear by.

There is another thread on here talking about the long-distance wifi:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-19383-14.html

I just got the one recommended by them the unit is the Alfa 500mW USB wireless-G Wifi adapter,w\threaded antenna jack.$47.95 US.The antenna is what makes it work,get the Engenius 2408 omni antenna $60. Some say it works five miles away. I haven't tried it offshore yet but at my dock when I use it the signal is much stronger and I pick up many more wifi's.
Old 20-08-2009, 08:04   #324

Hi Paul, I have found that "Dell" is listed on ebay, as "NEW Professionly downgraded to XP" They seem to have a few of them. Would you recommend going that way. Thank You for the info on the wifi, I will look into it today. Thanks, Jim
Old 20-08-2009, 08:13   #325
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
<snip> So it asks you to verify when a program tries to run, big deal, it just prevents unwanted intruders getting in and destroying your PC.

I tend to turn off UAC on Vista, but if you feel safer with it on then leave it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:22   #326

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
If you want a netbook with WinXP on it, take a look at the Asus EeePC line. My 1005HE pulls only 10 watts (.8 amps at 12.6v) in operation. It handles routine navigation (SeaClear, OpenCPN) and communication (Internet, Airmail for SSB), and instrument panel (NavmonPC) well.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:52   #327

Thanks Sooner, I will look at that as well. Where would one go to find the brand????
Old 20-08-2009, 09:54   #328

Jim St.Pierre, as I said I kind of like Vista but if you are more comfortable with XP go for it. Actually SoonerSailor probably has a good idea. I do the same thing on my XOs running Linux but frankly (sorry Linux fans) but you have to be a bit of a computer geek, like me, to use Linux.
Old 20-08-2009, 15:22   #329

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
I got mine at Amazon.com for about $390 a few months ago. Asus has quite a lineup of netbooks to choose from.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 15:29   #330

Hi Paul and SoonerSailor, Paul, I think you are right about Sooner, I like the "kiss" method. I have no idea what Linux is all about. I think one needs to be a computer programmer and understand all that stuff. Give me a car engine and I am off. When it comes to high tech stuff like you talk about I am soooooooo lost. I think I will look at the Asus one and hope I can get XP. Also I am looking into the wifi as well. Thanks guys for helping out. Jim

Tags
navigation