Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2023, 07:07   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: There are no forum members that confuse A and AH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalystcat View Post
I spend a lot of time on Victron Connect and VRM looking at the data from my Cerbo. In fact, I used it on my phone yesterday to check in on my batteries in Grenada while I am just down the road from you in Brevard County.

It's very useful and is a good repository of data from my system and has some nice UI that shows things like charge history, power usage, real time charging data, etc. It is a very good start toward what I was suggesting. It knows how many Ah I have and uses simple algorithms to report a guess about how much is remaining.

What it lacks is a good computer model, especially one that actually uses the available data to evolve itself. They have access to a huge amount of data from my system and others that can be used to improve accuracy. For example, the Cerbo uses an input Peukert factor, efficiency, and a tail current, and does not refine those over time.

The data is there to build a good model of battery aging/energy capacity as a function of loads, cycles, temperatures, battery models, balancing intervals, and more. This is the kind of thing that ML can do very well given enough data and, via Victron Connect, they have a ton of data.
I think most of it is open source and I think there may even be a group where to discuss the functionality and additions etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 07:20   #62
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, sorry, with “counting Coulombs” I mean Ah, it’s the same. I’m so used to talk about Coulomb counting that I didn’t realize this (yet another) unit wasn’t discussed yet, complicating this discussion
I believe the entire purpose of this thread was to dissemble on needlessly esoteric aspects and obscure points about a subject that was well settled over 100 years ago, so counting coulombs is right on target.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:02   #63

Boat: Beneteau 423

You could make an argument for the Coulomb which is the amount of charge carried by a one ampere current per second.
The wattage of you panel is dependant for its delivery on the wiring so the Coulomb is useful, a bit like the Ah.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:25   #64

Boat: Lagoon 380

Power measurement demands that Volts enter the equation.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:59   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronkrak View Post
W = Voltage x Amperage
Is incorrect.

W = V x A x p.f.
VA = V x A
You DO understand that EVERY post in this thread is about DC electricity, and there is no power factor correction with DC power, right????

Well, I guess to be as pedantic as you seem to want to be there is a power factor for DC power, it is just always = 1.000000
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:30   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Well, I guess to be as pedantic as you seem to want to be there is a power factor for DC power, it is just always = 1.000000
And how did you calculate that power factor of "1.000000" ?
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:50   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

I think we would be better serviced by rating batteries and power as something useful like the number of 12-oz beers that can be cooled from 80 degree F to 40 degree F
Old 04-09-2023, 11:07   #68

There are no forum members that confuse A and AH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think we would be better serviced by rating batteries and power as something useful like the number of 12-oz beers that can be cooled from 80 degree F to 40 degree F

[emoji106]. All posts past 2nd page is noise, useful for entertainment purpose only.

Beer Thermal Units
Old 04-09-2023, 11:11   #69

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Look, if someone can't be bothered to use the correct units, then why post at all?

And no, plenty of people here and IRL don't know the difference between amps and amp hours.

I see this often. It can be a good indicator that the person doesn't know what they are talking about.

I appreciate people who take the time to state the difference to those who don't know or are too lazy to post things correctly.

The OP wants us to believe almost everyone has an Ah counter, when I would estimate that half of the sailing community doesn't.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:47   #70
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
The OP wants us to believe almost everyone has an Ah counter, when I would estimate that half of the sailing community doesn't.
Probably, but bet 1/2 of cruisers do.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:27   #71
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you don’t have a battery monitor then I bet you don’t have an inverter, all propane powered, 100W solar at best and Duracell or Costco marine dual purpose batteries, right? If so then it doesn’t matter, you just go until it doesn’t and then you go to Autozone or Costco for new ones.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 12:38   #72

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you don’t have a battery monitor then I bet you don’t have an inverter, all propane powered, 100W solar at best and Duracell or Costco marine dual purpose batteries, right? If so then it doesn’t matter, you just go until it doesn’t and then you go to Autozone or Costco for new ones.
Well, you got me figured out pretty close ... with batteries still happy after seven years.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 13:58   #73

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronkrak View Post
And how did you calculate that power factor of "1.000000" ?
Do you even know what power factor is? Power factor is the cosine of the phase angle between current and voltage. In AC, a pf of 1 happens only on resistive loads. Resistive or inductive loads can skew the angles. In DC, I don't know how you would even begin to analyze the phase angle. Can you educate us?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:51   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
In AC, a pf of 1 happens only on resistive loads. Resistive or inductive loads can skew the angles.
?????
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:01   #75

ICE. An acronym for learning that current leads voltage with capacitive loads.
ELI. for the converse. Voltage leads current with inductive loads. Vector math is used to get the value of the lead or lag.

Tags
member, rum