Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 10:01   #16

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Re: Thermal Night Vision Cameras

would not even a cold blooded fish expending energy have a small thermal foot print?
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02   #17

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
would not even a cold blooded fish expending energy have a small thermal foot print?
yes, out of water. the key is there must be a temperature differential. again, water is not ir transparent. it would be the same as you looking in a mirror. water reflects the temperature of whatever is at the opposite angle to you, generally the sky....i'll take some images of water next week and post.....
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14   #18

You might have better luck using the new 3 and 4G radar. It can pick up little targets pretty good. It's a good idea though. I'll definitely bring my FLIR with me to the boat a take a few videos and still shots of things in the water day and night.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
You might have better luck using the new 3 and 4G radar. It can pick up little targets pretty good. It's a good idea though. I'll definitely bring my FLIR with me to the boat a take a few videos and still shots of things in the water day and night.
make sure you do it several hours after dark (where object has been in water the whole time) in open sea state at speed.

i hear the new radars are much improved as well. i think that and sonar is a way to go....

p.s. for those who think i am full of crap, i sell infrared cameras. ill sell you whatever you want....
Old 08-07-2017, 10:22   #20

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I don't know what idiot brought up seeing whales originally, but I was just responding to that fellow. Sorry if anyone here is easily offended. Would an iceberg be visible with my Flir, or a cloud in the sky? I will experiment with a glass of ice cubes, Dasani ( that is bottled water) and scotch later today to see about icebergs. But I do know that clouds show up quite distinctly with the Flir. Not everything on our boats have just one use and not everything is solely for safety and survival. Some is just for curiousities sake. We have a 12 volt green light on a 20 ft. ( that means feet ) that we put over the side at night. It attracts tiny little bottom of the food chain life to it, and bit by bit, hour after hour, bigger and bigger things show up to feed by its light. We have had the sea as far as we could see with a spitlight bright red with Tuna crabs that came to our light. We also have a microscope and a telescope, and underwater microphone to listen to sea life. I have been retired for 10 years and try not to let myself get bored. There are a lot of interesting things on the earth, but sometimes you need technology to see it. I also have an underwater speaker that I play slide guitar through when whales swim through our anchorages. I try to imitate the humpback whales singing, but so far they ignore me. One day though.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27   #21

yes icebergs that stick up have a temperature differential, once partially submerged, its gone. glass is a no go as well. try and look through your house window.
clouds show up as warmer becuase they are reflecting the heat in the atmoshpere. as clouds get thicker, you cannot see through them. lay back on a partly cloudy night and watch a jet dissapear. even better, look down at the top of your fish tank and see if you can spot a fish.

thermal imagers are great, i have over $500k in imagers and make my living with them. they are not suitable for what the op asks for.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:54   #22

Boat: Albin 25

Well I won't be asking any questions or making any observations on THIS thread! Don't want everyone to know I'm an idiot.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01   #23

ask away, i am happy to share my knowledge. just have a huge pet peeve about people speaking about things they dont know. if you have thermal imaging questions you may also pm me. i again say, i am a professional thermographer, 20 years, consult to government, military, training, and sales....its all i do.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:24   #24

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I am not an expert, but I think that whales and dolphins are warm blooded, not cold blooded. Therefore they are warmer than the water in which they swim, and would be easily visible on a heat sensing device.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
I am not an expert, but I think that whales and dolphins are warm blooded, not cold blooded. Therefore they are warmer than the water in which they swim, and would be easily visible on a heat sensing device.
ok taxwizz, i apparently need to tone down. as stated, yes you can out of water. once they dive you cannot. talk about taxes.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
ok taxwizz, i apparently need to tone down. as stated, yes you can out of water. once they dive you cannot. talk about taxes.
This is not an arguement, but an observation.
I was pointing out that these mammals would be warmer than the surrounding water, and suggesting that they would therefore be visible by heat sensing equipment.

Am I wrong?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:55   #27

Quote:
This is not an arguement, but an observation.
I was pointing out that these mammals would be warmer than the surrounding water, and suggesting that they would therefore be visible by heat sensing equipment.

Am I wrong?
the OP asked about thermal imaging for avoidance. in the case of a whale sitting on top with exposed body, you are correct. if he is 1 inch under water, you will not see him. this is why we cant find enemy nuclear submarines with infrared. we use sonar to do so.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
the OP asked about thermal imaging for avoidance. in the case of a whale sitting on top with exposed body, you are correct. if he is 1 inch under water, you will not see him. this is why we cant find enemy nuclear submarines with infrared. we use sonar to do so.
OK.
I defer to your greater knowledge and experience.
I stand corrected.
Learning is, after all, the purpose of these forums.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:06   #29

Quote:
OK.
I defer to your greater knowledge and experience.
I stand corrected.
Learning is, after all, the purpose of these forums.
i appologize if i read it wrong....

the key to remember is water is not transparent. it absorbs and reflects infrared energy. while a "neato" factor exsists on things you can see, there is no way to recieve ir through water. its physics, there is no work around. its a problem for many applications. we have remote ir systems that control certain functions where i work. when it gets foggy or rains hard enough, we loose all data. steam is also a huge issue for me. solid bodies of water are infinitly more of an issue.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:15   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Well I won't be asking any questions or making any observations on THIS thread! Don't want everyone to know I'm an idiot.
This thread certainly has the needle pegged on the rudeness meter.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera