Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 16:36   #241

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Thoughts about AIS

I have great hope that the touch interface will get better. I don't think I could survive anymore without my multi-touch trackpad on my computer - which is pretty much a touch interface in many ways. That started out bad and got much better over time.

My first reaction to these types of things is "what am I missing here?". It often takes me a long time to figure that out.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 17:07   #242
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Back in the early 90's the first touch screen IMO compliant ARPA radars came out.. (made by Raytheon).

BC Ferries installed a bunch.

What was discovered in the commercial sector was that the Mates loved them...but not the Masters.

Main reason cited was that if the Master was observing on the Bridge in heavy fog, he could not appreciate the target developments as well if the Mate was waving his hand around the screen.

They found themselves having to formally relieve the WK officer in order to concentrate on the radar.

They found that awkward and bad for morale.

I think that is why Black Box systems became the popular commercial choice.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:31   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I was to.... It comes only as an Apple App ... Not downloadable PDF for other formats.... Read the RM Forums and heard similar complaints.
Wrong, wrong, wrong

In May I downloaded from RM the manual and I just checked RM and it is still available

It's called "a-c-e Series Installation and operation instructions 81337-10-EN_WEB.pdf"

384 pages and 26MB
Old 19-06-2014, 04:58   #244

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I bought a Furuno MFD12 this past winter - a major consideration for me was that it did NOT have touch screen.

If you're in rough seas, even pushing big buttons can become a problem, much less a touchscreen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 05:48   #245

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

I just realized that touchscreens probably appeal to bareboat charterers and dock queen owners - so probably about 90 % of the market, or more...

Abandon all the hope...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 05:56   #246

I am not up on all the latest models, but all of the touch screen ones I have seen (admittedly, only the Zeus and Furuno) also allow full control using buttons and a rotary knob. Is this not the case now?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-06-2014, 06:01   #247

Any of you guys ever test the range your ASI is putting out?? Checked a couple of local sailors and it was around 5 miles.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 06:03   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I just realized that touchscreens probably appeal to bareboat charterers and dock queen owners - so probably about 90 % of the market, or more...

Abandon all the hope...
If you replaced "touchscreens" with "roller furlers" in that sentence, it would be right at home in a 1980's discussion!

I have hope based on past experiences with all interfaces.

Mark

Old 19-06-2014, 06:10   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Any of you guys ever test the range your ASI is putting out?? Checked a couple of local sailors and it was around 5 miles.
That's probably about right. It is a 2W transmission, so similar to low power on a VHF. Couple that with the ranges of antenna placement and quality of the coax and connections, and 5 miles is probably an average - although I would expect a masthead mount with good coax/connectors to reach a bit further (but probably not more than 8-10miles).

Heck, a lot of the boats out here with us can't be heard on 25W VHF 1 mile away!

Mark

Old 19-06-2014, 06:12   #250

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I am not up on all the latest models, but all of the touch screen ones I have seen (admittedly, only the Zeus and Furuno) also allow full control using buttons and a rotary knob. Is this not the case now?

Mark
More and more are touch screen only.
And for dual interface - more and more functions are not accessible or not easily and readily accesible by buttons/rotary.

For me - I do not want touch screen at all, as it is easy to touch screen just by accident, more so in bumpy sea...
Old 19-06-2014, 06:23   #251

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you replaced "touchscreens" with "roller furlers" in that sentence, it would be right at home in a 1980's discussion!

I have hope based on past experiences with all interfaces.

Mark
I'm not against new technologies at all
Probably I'm rather overloaded with electronic gizmos...

I just want the choice, up to the moment, when the new technology is developed to reasonable level

The roller furlers were developed for sailing, touchscreens were not, and for the time being are not well suited to the sailing enviroment.
I think for the moment some kind of in-built mouse pad can be better choice...

On the other hand it is well worth to remember that several percent of people are not able to properly use the touch screens at all, and additional several percent is challenged in the use of them. Low electric conductivity of skin - it is genetic thing. Myself I have a some of a problem with this, but not much. But I can well understand that the touchscreen is totally useless for some.
Old 19-06-2014, 06:31   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Low electric conductivity of skin - it is genetic thing. Myself I have a some of a problem with this, but not much. But I can well understand that the touchscreen is totally useless for some.
Yes, I also have this! I didn't know that it was a genetic thing, but I find touch things do not respond to my fingers as well as they do to others. I just assumed that my fingertips are usually dry, calloused and peeling from normal work on the boat.

Here is a funny example: we recently arrived in Colombia, where immigration requires fingerprints. They use a fingerprint scanner for it. They could not get any fingerprints from me because I had just spent the previous 3 weeks wet sanding a fiberglass project and I had sanded off my prints! It was a humorous and tense 30 minutes as they figured out what to do with me.

Having no prints did seem to help with touch things, though!

Of course, my biggest problem is that my fingers are usually also bandaged, caulked, or resined from normal work on the boat! I have a particular dislike of touch things because of bandages - I am often sporting one on index and/or thumb and having to use random fingers on both hands or my knuckles (if they aren't bandaged) to control things.

Mark

Old 19-06-2014, 07:10   #253
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

LOL Mark...... You have given me a new definition for 'crusty old sailor' )
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 07:41   #254

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Of course, my biggest problem is that my fingers are usually also bandaged, caulked, or resined from normal work on the boat! I have a particular dislike of touch things because of bandages - I am often sporting one on index and/or thumb and having to use random fingers on both hands or my knuckles (if they aren't bandaged) to control things.

Mark
Have you every thought about taking a course in tool usage? They offer some wonderful courses like:

powder puff mechanics
Hammer and screwdriver usage for dainty fingers
How to repair almost anything wihtout ruining your fingernal polish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 08:19   #255

If they offer "how to work in tight, blind spaces on partly stripped hardware with pointy and sharp things all around it" - now that is a course I need!

I also need a course on "how to over-ride your brain when it is telling you "it's OK to carefully cut that toward your hand - yes, I know you always cut yourself, but this time you are paying attention - forget what happened last time, that was a completely different situation - just do it slow and careful and nothing will slip - it is only a tiny little bit you need to cut off it, go ahead"…"

Mark

Tags
ais