Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 14:45   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Titanic’s Marconi’s Radio Sation to be retrieved

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9dc1d56...e-must-be.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 04:46   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
From the article:
Quote:
Families of passengers and crew who died during the sinking of RMS Titanic have backed plans to save the ship’s ‘voice’ during a controversial expedition.
Nice. I hope they succeed. Frankly I don't even see why some would want to make it "controversial." Almost seems like some people just want to complain about everything, whether it affects them or not.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 05:50   #33

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Exactly.

My own feeling, which I do NOT ask anyone else to share, is that it's sort of arrogant for me to think I'd be able to "own" a plot of land (burial plot) forever. Certainly there are more dead people than living, and their ranks are growing faster. When I'm done with my body, there will be no need for it to take up any physical space here. Let the living use it.

Yup, and for those who are interested, your "eternal resting place" will only remain your "your eternal resting place" until all the available plots are sold/used, the company who runs the cemetery folds up with all the profits, and enough time has passed for memories to grow dim . . . then up grandma comes, coffins are busted up/recycled materials, precious items sold off, remains cremated and stuck in a warehouse somewhere, land "repurposed" (sold) for profit. Exceptions exist for historical cemeteries, etc . . . . but for the mainstream "commercial" cemeteries . . . . . Sorry to burst your bubbles . . .

Not much different from the scavengers who want to cut up the Titanic for profit . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 06:57   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

from a purely technical point of view....how do " they" plan on removing that radio out of there ?? Yank it out ?...unscrew it ?....cut it out ??..it looks corroded in place to my eye...might get destroyed in the removal process...the mind boggles....if they really wanted to salvage an artifact....I'd go after the grand staircase....now that would bring in the crowds....the radio....harrumph.....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:45   #35

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Titanic’s Marconi’s Radio Station to be retrieved

The radio is def an historic artifact. But it’s hard to see any addition to the historical record coming from its retrieval. So it sounds a bit like someone thinks money can be made by bringing it up. Thus the PR campaign.

On balance, I think it should stay where it is.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 13:27   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The 2nd ship that explored the Titanic, Atlantis II, was berthed here in J'ville for a period of time.
I got to go on it and walk around, and was giving the grand tour by a crew member that lived full time on the ship. He took me from one end to the other, It was pretty darn fascinating, I gotta tell ya. The crew member was talking my ear off. I later gave him a good tip. The submersible was not on it anymore, but fascinating none the less. There were a few small odds and ends "keepsakes" of the Titanic that were inside the main pilot house as explained to me by the lone crew member. Not sure what they were doing there, but.....Arrrgh, I was dying to put to one in my pocket, but didn't.
Still have some photo's of that day....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 01:01   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plan-retr...154018127.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, radio