Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 21:31   #16

Boat: Huon 33
Re: Top of mast, or RG213.... cant do both!

So 2 x 3 core Power cables..... Masthead Tricolour and Anchor.... common earth is one power cable

Half Mast Steaming and Deck lights common earth is the other power cable.... I am assuming I Need to pull this through first before pulling all the other through??
Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 13:11   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

Gi-Lo,
I think we may be experiencing some confusion due to a common language?

If you have two lights on the masthead (and another two lights at spreader height / the half-mast location) , that you need to switch independently, you can of course use TWO, 2-conductor cables....OR....or use ONE 3-conductor cable, using one conductor as a "common" negative wire, and the two other wires as the switched positives for each of the two lights...
(and of course use this same procedure to the spreader location as well...)

But, of course, you'd not need TWO 3-conductor cables going all the way to the masthead.

{If my assumption is wrong, regarding what you are writing about "3-core" cables, my apologies.... }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
So 2 x 3 core Power cables..... Masthead Tricolour and Anchor.... common earth is one power cable

Half Mast Steaming and Deck lights common earth is the other power cable.... I am assuming I Need to pull this through first before pulling all the other through??
If all these wires go in the same conduit, then they should all be pulled thru at the same time...and, I assume you have some opening in the conduit at spreader-level, that would allow you to access/use the wiring ...
But, if you have good luck, you can try to pull the spreader-height wire separately....

Sorry, I didn't see your latest post 'til now....

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 23:16   #18

Boat: Huon 33

Hi All,

So eventually i replaced the Conduit in the mast with a larger conduit, and downsized the power cables, this meant I could fit in two power cables, Simnet and RG213.... but unfortunately I could not squeeze in the TV antenna.... it would fit in the new Conduit, but not through the conduit built in to the mast step and through the compression post. I'm not that fussed, since digital TV, I've almost given up with live TV, and take recordings on board on a USB. I did buy a Glomex TV antenna and mount in on my Antenna pole just a couple of metres above deck at the rear..... havent tested it out yet, but not expecting too much from it....... very happy with the VHF mount though....

Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 12:22   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Gi-Lo,
Congrats!
Looks good...

Not sure about broadcast TV where you are sailing, but those in the US have found digital over-the-air TV to be a boost to their on-board TV viewing....(although, I do not have a TV on-board)

Far winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast