Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 10:36   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Tracking voyage from home

Joe,
Appreciate the info. In the past the code requirement was more work than I wanted. I know it's no more and if I eventually get a SSB, I'll definitely get the ticket. But for general ham radio, I'm not the type that would enjoy spending my spare time sending CQ.

It's an option but just not at the moment.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:38   #17
Eternal Member

You guys are amazing. OK I'll add the sat phone to my list. But aren't the Iridium phones like thousands of dollars?

Old 30-09-2015, 10:46   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another happy inReach user. Friends can see our progress on sea or land. Price is modest, and the two-way global texting is great.
Old 30-09-2015, 11:00   #19

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Contrary to what has been shared in a previous post, it is my understanding, if your boat is equipped with an AIS transponder these signals are now also tracked by satellite (~1997). Vessels transmitting an AIS signal can now be tracked world wide. If your daughter has an Internet connection, she should be able to follow your track, wherever you might be, as long as the transponder is active.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 11:03   #20
Eternal Member

Sorry, I have an AIS receiver only. The amount of ship traffic where I normally play did not warrant the added expense. Later, maybe.

Old 30-09-2015, 11:15   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post
Contrary to what has been shared in a previous post, it is my understanding, if your boat is equipped with an AIS transponder these signals are now also tracked by satellite (~1997). Vessels transmitting an AIS signal can now be tracked world wide. If your daughter has an Internet connection, she should be able to follow your track, wherever you might be, as long as the transponder is active.
No.. I don't think that is true. They have been testing satellite based AIS since 2005, but only on Class A AIS devices.

According to Wikipedia, base stations need to be connected to the internet to make the data available online for class B. Those base stations are mostly run by volunteers so there are gaps. Once out of range of an Internet connected base stations, you will become invisible. So anything truely offshore requires a device like Inreach or Spot!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 11:43   #22

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
My daughter will be one of our emergency contacts. She asked if there was a way of displaying our position on her computer in real time.

I'm pretty sure there is but I can't remember how it is done or what equipment I need.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Rich

Rich,

Here is a picture of a recent trip I made with my family and is what can be seen by anyone who has the link you provide them through Delorme

I bought an inreach new, but I really like the suggestion to buy one via ebay or the likes as some do not use them as they originally thought. Myself, I sail upwards of 10k miles per year, so I like it for my family and friends to know where I am. DeLorme inReach - Two-way satellite text messaging, tracking and SOS anywhere in the world

The plan is very flexible. I just activated mine for a trip Ill take next week. I had it not activated last month and didn't pay a thing. I also get OCENS weather on this so I can identify changes and it uses the Iridum network.

Here is a link to what the plan costs. Its cheap in my perspective - DeLorme inReach - Two-way satellite text messaging, tracking and SOS anywhere in the world

The post earlier that spoke of the Iridum phone being superior? I myself will look at that from this guys post, but I assume it is a very high cost vs. this delorme. But, I am open.

Here are the pros of this - Battery life incredible of 4 days without a charge. Robust construction, straight forward website interface, low cost and easy use by people looking at your position or texts. (you can send texts up to 140 characters and can receive texts back in the middle of the ocean if you want to)

Cons - To text in a message is freakin clumsy and slow - think netflix interface when you have to put in your password using a tv remote. Small unit the size of one of those walkie talkies. Why a con? Buy a cover/case for it and put that caribeaner around something whenever you are on deck or at the helm. An errant wave or wind will blow that thing into the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	110260  
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 12:03   #23

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post

Nope. AIS transmits over VHF. There are land based stations that are picking these up and presenting it on the Internet, but if you are out of range from land and other AIS receivers, no one knows you are there.

Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 12:31   #24

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
Cons - To text in a message is freakin clumsy and slow - think netflix interface when you have to put in your password using a tv remote. Small unit the size of one of those walkie talkies. Why a con? Buy a cover/case for it and put that caribeaner around something whenever you are on deck or at the helm. An errant wave or wind will blow that thing into the water.
I want to clarify this.. Swammy is talking about actually texting on the Inreach device itself. I wholeheartedly agree that sucks..

BUT... If you hook the Inreach up to an Android/Apple cell phone or tablet over bluetooth, then its no different than regular texting (except limited to 160char per text). Actually even better as I have a bluetooth keyboard I also hook up so its super easy.

For my long passage, I bought the unlimited plan for that month. Its a good way to pass the time when I got bored of reading, fishing, ect. I texted friends from the middle of the ocean!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:09   #25

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I tried that, but the air fairs to fly home and check my computer were killing me. Take my wife--Please!
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:20   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

(re satellite AIS reception)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Nope. AIS transmits over VHF. There are land based stations that are picking these up and presenting it on the Internet, but if you are out of range from land and other AIS receivers, no one knows you are there.
There are now commercial satellite services that do a pretty good job of receiving Class-A AIS from ships at sea, and making this tracking information available -- for a price. I don't know if they can receive Class-B signals. Here is an example: Satellite AIS for vessel tracking - AIS Marine Traffic

This probably isn't appropriate for the OP, however.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:43   #27

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Upon further investigation, the correction made by Travellerw is spot on. Here's what I subsequently learned from the tracking website: Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

The MarineTraffic system does not cover all the seas of the world, but only specific coastal areas where a land-based AIS receiver is installed. Vessels appearing on the live map are equipped with an operational AIS transponder and they sail within the reception range of an AIS receiver installed on the land. Possible reasons for a vessel's position not picked up and displayed on the live map are:

The vessel is not equipped with an AIS transponder or the transponder is not operational or the transponder is not properly working
The vessel sails in an area where no nearby AIS receiving station exists
The transmission power of the vessel's AIS transponder is not enough in order for a land-based station to receive the signals. This depends on the type of the transponder, the type and the height of the antenna and the quality of the cabling
Especially for vessels equipped with a Class-B AIS transponder, the transmission power of AIS signals is much lower than the power of a Class-A transponder and therefore the reception range in much more restricted
The AIS transponder of the vessel is not configured to transmit the correct information (e.g. MMSI number, ship's name etc.)

My apologies for my previous mis-information. I, too, would recommend the SPOT tracker as an economical means of transmitting position information. We got ours before the DeLorme was available. Given the choice of the two, I'd be inclined to favor the DeLorme.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:25   #28

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
My daughter will be one of our emergency contacts. She asked if there was a way of displaying our position on her computer in real time.

I'm pretty sure there is but I can't remember how it is done or what equipment I need.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Rich

Hi Rich,

If you have the capability of sending email from where you intend to cruise look into Farkwar.com- a free tracking site created by a fellow cruiser...

We use a combination of cell data, and when that isn't available, our Iridium Sat phone to send position reports to Farkwar. [We also intend to buy an IridiumGo once we outgrow our current sat phone data plan... Currently sat phone is most cost effective by half, but is not unlimited data like the IridiumGo plan...]

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 30-09-2015, 16:46   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
That's why I paid a bit extra for the Inreach SE. It sits secured in a sheltered spot behind the dodger and I can use my smartphone via Bluetooth to do any texting required with a decent keyboard.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 22:27   #30

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

Class A (commercial vessels) my use satellite, but Class B (pleasure craft and small fishing vessels) transmitters operate on VHF. If you are out of range of VHF, no signal.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote