Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 14:07   #16

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Transducer face got sanded

For me the answer is yes.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 15:12   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Call/email these folks.They make most of the transducers on the market.
AIRMAR

You can easily test a transducer & sounder while on the hard.
Any sounder with a reasonable output power will detect a hard surface(wood,metal,hard ground,etc.) from 2ft or more below the t-ducer face. The sounder will read 4x the air space. ie: 2ft will cause a depth reading of approx 8ft.,etc.Get a square of plywood,hold it 2ft. or so from the t-ducer face & have someone watch the display.When you get a depth display,slowly lower the plywood by 6-12" intervals & you should see a depth increase. This proves the system is transmitting & receiving.

Place your fingers on the t-ducer face & you should feel it pulsing if it is transmitting.You may also hear clicking sounds.

Cheers/Len
Old 21-01-2020, 18:14   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I think you have some good suggestions here. First, call the manufacturer. If they tell you that you need to buy a new one, then try sanding it since you have nothing to lose. Definitely let us know what the manufacturer says, any repair attempts, and the results. Good luck!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 18:53   #19

Boat: Key West 2020 CC
pirate Re: Transducer face got sanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
reminds me of about 65 years ago. was cleaning a reel , got bumped and lost some parts. Dad said" it not any good now . Put it in box and send back to company. Most you can lose is postage(65 yrs ago). Added a note asking if they could fix it. Week later got new one in mail with a note thanking me for using their reels.. Call them most it can cost is a little time and the price of free call. 800 #? Lee
Bet that was a Penn reel.
Old 21-01-2020, 19:14   #20
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I hired a kid to take the bottom paint off my hull. I forgot to tell him about the through hull airmar transducer. It’s the round one with the black plastic face.

He went over it pretty good with 60 grit. I forgot to mention it so it’s on me. The black plastic is scuffed up pretty good obviously. If it’s destroyed I’d rather replace it now. I know in the install instructions it says not the wipe with solvents like acetone. I’d hate to splash the boat and then find out. Thanks.
Not an issue.

I sand transducer faces with 60 grit all the time to adhere them to hulls with epoxy.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:27   #21

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
Keep in mind that in the OP the mfr. recommended against even wiping it with acetone, which would seem - otherwise - to be trivial.
I don't know what specific plastic Airmar is using for their transducers, but Acetone can compromise some plastics, to say the least. It will melt both PVC and Polystyrene, to name two. Don't use it to clean up your PVC dink!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote