Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2024, 13:14   #1

Transfer or get new MMSI #?

I want to install an a I s transducer on my Recently bought boat period I can't find the owner and want to know if I can just get a new m s I number or do I have to Or do I have to try and find him and get his release of his existing m? MSI number period the FCC site is not very helpful in my opinion period
If I can't get ahold of him. Can I just get a new MMS I number period and reprogram my v? Hf radio question markif, more concise and detailed information are needed for you guys to help me, I will be happy to. Send it out
FutureSailor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 18:08   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56
Re: Transfer or get new MMSI #?

I just went through this. Get a new one. Easier and simpler.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 05:00   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Just get a new MMSI. And then have your radios and/or AIS and so forth reprogrammed to that.

I'm not aware of a transducer that uses an MMSI...

-Chris
Old 11-02-2024, 15:41   #4

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor57 View Post
I want to install an a I s transducer on my Recently bought boat period I can't find the owner and want to know if I can just get a new m s I number or do I have to Or do I have to try and find him and get his release of his existing m? MSI number period the FCC site is not very helpful in my opinion period
If I can't get ahold of him. Can I just get a new MMS I number period and reprogram my v? Hf radio question markif, more concise and detailed information are needed for you guys to help me, I will be happy to. Send it out
Typically, MMSIs can only programmed once (or maybe twice) by the user. After that, you either need to figure out the secret squirrel sequence to reset the radio (if there is one) or send it back to the manufacturer to be reset. The concept is to try and prevent people from impersonating other boats.

But yeah, get yourself your own MMSI. Also, if you're US based and near anywhere where you might cross to Canada or Mexico, make sure to get a real one from the FCC, rather than the one from BoatUS, as the latter doesn't properly link into the Search and Rescue in other countries.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 20:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
I just went through this. Get a new one. Easier and simpler.
I thought as much. Thanks
Old 12-02-2024, 20:27   #6

I thought as much. Thanks
Old 12-02-2024, 20:29   #7

Thanks for the tip. I do plan on mexico and beyond, so your advice is much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2024, 22:10   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

If you are leaving the US, you need to get a Ship Station License from the FCC. As part of that license, you are issued an MMSI (or you can state you have one, and list what it is).

The process on the FCC website can be confusing and changes periodically. You will first need to apply for and get an FRN (the FCC equivalent to a username and password). Then access the ULS to fill out the forms. Then you fill out a second for to submit payment. You can probably search youtube for a step by step guide to the FCC website. Sorry, I don't have a link.
Old 13-02-2024, 04:56   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
If you are leaving the US, you need to get a Ship Station License from the FCC. As part of that license, you are issued an MMSI (or you can state you have one, and list what it is).

And a Restricted Radio Operator's License.

-Chris
Old 13-02-2024, 12:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Check out this short (free) eLearning course I created on this topic.. It may help you with understanding pros and cons to new vs transfer.

Note: If the former owner of the boat had an FCC issued MMSI, then the proper course of action is to get it transferred to you with your new license. It's rather easy and eliminates having to get radios and AIS units sent out to dealers/manufacturers for programming. The only real trick is that you need to get the former owner to log into the FCC website and "cancel" their SA license. That's all they have to do.

https://www.sailpros.org/order?ct=2e...9-57a8068080cb
Old 14-02-2024, 11:09   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I chose to keep the former owners FCC MMSI so I didn’t have to remove and ship the myriad of electronics to their respective manufacturer’s representatives to have them program in a new MMSI.

As you mentioned, this requires the former MMSI owner to go online and relinquish it. If you cannot make contact with that party, consider calling the FCC [they are quite helpful] and ask about other options for inheriting that existing MMSI number.

FWIW

Cheers, Bill

PeeS: The dick nation on the device you are using to correspond here isN ’t work king very well period… Nor does the spel chek on most of our devices period. [Sometimes dictation and Spel chek R the enema…] Therefore I try to take a moment to clean it up so those who my wish to help don’t have to waist there time deciphering what I intended to incommunicado period.

I figure if I am requesting their time, then I owe them some of mine up front… Send.
Old 20-02-2024, 08:33   #12

Thanks al. After considering all comments and consulting boat us, I've gone ahead and applied for a new mmsi number and ship station license as I'm going to visit other countries.
Old 26-02-2024, 06:38   #13

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran

I'm actually currently going through this. We purchased a whole system from a friend (AIS, Radar, 2 chartplotters) and we've been refitting the boat for the past several years. We finally installed it last summer and talked to Garmin about changing the MMSI and they said I needed to send the unit back to get reprogrammed. Since it was the end of the season I figured I'd deal with it this winter. I got a new number and that was no biggie. I found that calling the FCC was actually the way to go and they helped walk me through the process of getting a new number and the paperwork.
The more difficult part is getting the equipment reset. Garmin told me they don't have the software to do it now (which seems ridiculous to me) so they directed me to the nearest Garmin dealer which is 4 hours away and completed inland and doesn't deal with MMSI and offshore equipment. They barely sell Garmin but have a dealer number so they're my only choice nearby. So although they've been very responsive, they're also having a hard time getting the resetting disc or software, etc. I've been working on this for about 3 or 4 weeks and still stuck The equipment is only about 8 years old so I would think that's not completely out of line to still be of use. We used it at the end of last summer (illegally, I suppose) with the current MMSI number and it functions good so I hate to spend another several thousand dollars on new equipment.
Good luck. I'd be curious to hear how it goes for you getting it reset if it's not a newer setup.
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 07:22   #14

The US Coast Guard has been updating its MMSI website to address the questions being raised here: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/maritime...rvice-identity. They have also scheduled recurring meetings with FCC and the MMSI license-by-rule providers to address these problems and to try to find simplified solutions. The FCC has been proactive in transferring MMSIs and can do so even if the original owners cannot be contact, as long as they have canceled their license.

Note that the MMSI on the vessels's radio and on he AIS must be identical.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 10:23   #15

Transfer process is fast and easy if you know the owner and they are willing.
rlynch03 is offline   Reply With Quote