Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 20:00   #1

Boat: Lagoon, 39
Transmitting NMEA data to shore via wifi

Hello, first post, so here goes...

I'm looking for a solution to transmit NMEA 2K data from Raymarine C125 to a shore side computer via wifi. The boat has a mifi router (wireless Internet connection via cell phone service). Chetco and Maretron offer solutions for this but I was looking for a lower cost one with no annual fees.

Thanks,

Tony
Mardi Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 03:48   #2

Boat: Everything that has a sail and more
Re: Transmitting NMEA data to shore via wifi

Tony,

There are loads of options making a PtP (point to point) wifi connection. There are also thousands of different things you need to address to get a proper wifi connection to shore.

Will the ship be moving around? Is there L.O.S (line of sight) with the accespoint ashore? How much distance needs to be covered? Do you setup your own shore based AP, or is it to connect to an existing AP?

My personal experience is that wifi connections are a lot less stable then a 3G (mifi) connection. Or at least the need a lot more attention before they work properly. F.I. A ship moving around on a mooring/anchor is quite a hand full to keep a 100% working wifi connection, especially on a longer distance.

-Now when I would connect two points with a static location I would choose 2 NanoStation5's but that would work great when there is no movement. specs

-One static location and one moving would be one NanoStationM5 (or 2 to cover 120 degrees) and one picostationM5 on the moving object. specs

Note that the 5GHz is *only* an option when you have L.O.S. if not 100% L.O.S. make sure you choose the 2.4GHz ( NanoStationM2 PicoStationM2) 5GHz is a lot less crowded then the 2.4GHz, eliminating a lot of noise.

These setups are quite affordable and will get you a high performance wifi connection.
(200$ on hardware I would guestimate.)

Again, if you want to know more you need to supply us with a LOT more information.
jeroenimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 16:22   #3

Re: Transmitting NMEA data to shore via wifi

What data? How frequently do you need updates? What range? Does it need to be two-way (requests, hand-shaking) or can the boat simply broadcast the required data?

There are lots of RF solutions besides wifi, depending on your requirements.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea