Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2021, 11:45   #1

TV Antenna

I have a Shakespeare Style 2020/2030 for the TV on our boat for 15 years.
It's mounted on a pole aft the puts the antenna about 10' above the waterline.
Until I met an immovable object and the disc came crashing down.

I can replace it with the same unit (their model 3015), but I spotted their model #3004 that would really be practical.

It is about the size of a soda can-much better on a small vessel- as opposed to a 15" disc.

Shakespere wasn't much help-the only data they offer is the effective range on the antennas-the 3004 10 miles, the 3015 25 miles.

Does anyone have the #3004 installed? Has anyone had the 3015 and changed to the 3004? or visa-versa? Was there a difference?

I'm not watching tv offshore. I'm only watching tv when I'm safely anchored close to shore. Though even the disc I have sometimes has a problem grabbing a signal from local stations.

Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 12:19   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: TV Antenna

I don't have experience with either of those antenna's but am a TV broadcast engineer, and have lots of general experience and knowledge.

Compared to a land based antenna installation, neither of those antennas are very good, and neither will work except for stations that are close by. How close and what you will and will not receive is very specific to where you are and what stations. No one's other experience with those antennas will help.

You can start with this online tool. When using the tool, I would call the larger Shakespeare "Medium multi-directional" and the smaller "Small multi-directional".

If the stations you want to watch are all very close to you, then it probably doesn't matter which antenna. If 1 or 2 stations are a bit further than the others, then you might struggle with the smaller antenna.

https://www.antennaweb.org/
Old 20-03-2021, 06:59   #3

Interesting information from the web site. Thank you, Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:22   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
I can replace it with the same unit (their model 3015), but I spotted their model #3004 that would really be practical.

Shakespere wasn't much help-the only data they offer is the effective range on the antennas-the 3004 10 miles, the 3015 25 miles.

I'm not watching tv offshore. I'm only watching tv when I'm safely anchored close to shore. Though even the disc I have sometimes has a problem grabbing a signal from local stations.

Their specs are likely mere suggestions and under best circumstances (unblocked signal visibility)... but you are maybe answering your own question, there.

TVFOOL.COM is another site where you can check likely signal availability from wherever you are, and FCC has a similar tool on their site, too.

-Chris

Tags
antenna