Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 13:48   #31

Re: Ubiquiti M2 is a piece of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So are they directional? and what happens when you are at anchor?

Having thought about it, I think I will go down the 4G/LTE route. The vast majority of wifi networks in the UK are now password locked.
You are doing the right thing. 4G/LTE is a good product and for general coastal work is far far more widely available than any WiFi is ever going to be. Pricing also is not too bad, unless you are a content uploader.

Yes, the M2 and M5 are directional, but they are not so directional that they refuse to function off the "back" of the Radio. These radios have a dual-stacked panel antenna, a MIMO Radio, and highest-in-class transmit power, and a very very sensitive receiver. Add to that an extreme compact form-factor, 12-24V power, and a very forgiving web interface and you have a damn good gadget.

WiFi is more a "get some cheap internet at anchor" solution, or "use the wifi at the coffee shop 2km away" type of thing. As such, it is a very good tool in the toolbox, and like any tool it behoves its' user to know how to use it.

The internet is littered with screaming rants from impatient people who refuse to learn to use their tools. That's just how it is.

Disclaimer: I don't sell hardware of any type, nor do I have any association with any supplier AT ALL. I use professionally and love the Ubiq products, and I want to share my enormous knowledge of them with a community in the hope that it would benefit them. That said, if anyone must post a derogatory remark then let it be a show of your character against a community-minded person who just wants to help. So there.
Unregistered-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:26   #32

Hi there

I like the idea of “The Wirie”!

Everything in one watertight box.
When needed hoist it up the mast, give it power, log on to router, find net...voila!
When not needed put it away.

Bought one before we went sailing. After 3 years and 12000 miles lets just say it newer worked!

Can anyone tell exactly what to put in that box and how to set it up, to be able to get a better wifi signal and a spot on board?

Tryed to find out, but its a jungle... newer got past the antenna part...

THX...

Dieter
S/Y Pinta
Ditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditz View Post
Bought one before we went sailing. After 3 years and 12000 miles lets just say it newer worked!
Hi Dieter,

Does it work fine at close range? Maybe it is just a faulty antenna? Wifi antennas are cheap - maybe you could test a new antenna?
Old 25-07-2018, 20:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ View Post
Hi Dieter,

Does it work fine at close range? Maybe it is just a faulty antenna? Wifi antennas are cheap - maybe you could test a new antenna?

Hi Steve

Good question!

Today i had a Signal strength of 90% and a Link Quality between 40 and 60. It just tryes to connect but nothing happens.

It finds a lot of spots that i dont see on our iPhone/iPad, but is not able to connect to them.

Tryed to make hotspot on iPhone and let The Wirie connect to, it did, but it took minuttes to.

The “thing” is 4 years old, and i thougt maybe its time to upgrade...

Dieter
Old 25-07-2018, 21:20   #35

Quote:
Today i had a Signal strength of 90% and a Link Quality between 40 and 60. It just tryes to connect but nothing happens.

It finds a lot of spots that i dont see on our iPhone/iPad, but is not able to connect to them.

Tryed to make hotspot on iPhone and let The Wirie connect to, it did, but it took minuttes to.

The “thing” is 4 years old, and i thougt maybe its time to upgrade...

Dieter
Well it is possible it is faulty. Sometimes a nearby thunderstorm will damage it's transmitter. It will hear lots of stations but cannot connect to them.

Does it have one on these inside it? If so, you can just unscrew it and replace it.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/

Steve
Old 26-07-2018, 03:02   #36

Quote:
Well it is possible it is faulty. Sometimes a nearby thunderstorm will damage it's transmitter. It will hear lots of stations but cannot connect to them.

Does it have one on these inside it? If so, you can just unscrew it and replace it.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/

Steve

Nope, its the old model... but lots of space for it!

see picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	174356
Old 26-07-2018, 03:08   #37

It seems those Alfa radios are available to buy. If you have a google for them you will see them.

Someone near you will have a used Ubiquiti Bullet to test with.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=ubiquiti+bullet
Old 26-07-2018, 03:16   #38

The bullet + antenna is expensive here, nearly US$180. These are for outdoor use - it does not need to be in a box, but you should waterproof the antenna connector with soft rubber tape.

The NanoStation M2 is far cheaper and more powerful.
Old 26-07-2018, 03:28   #39

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Since there's some obvious wifi expertise on show here...

I've got an M2 Titanium to mount, but I wasn't keen on having the actual M2 hanging outside off the back of the antenna (which is to be mounted on the stern radar pole). I've also purchased a 5m N extension cable so I can keep the M2 below decks. Haven't actually mounted it yet but have wondered if this config would reduce the signal strength significantly??
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 03:30   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Nope, its the old model... but lots of space for it!

see picture

Attachment 174356
We have an Alfa and it works really well, picking up signals strong enough to a good connection 500 meters, sometimes more. Helps to have it up high obviously.

I would strip it out of that box, ditch the white box then connect the alfa directly to a pc. Drivers are on the net if you need them. If it can connect to a good signal okay, then why not just wire it up so that only the alfa is in the box, you already have the bits.

Then look at a separate 4G solution.

Wirie have gone under btw.

Final alternative, sell me the box, alfa and antenna please.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 03:36   #41

Quote:
The bullet + antenna is expensive here, nearly US$180. These are for outdoor use - it does not need to be in a box, but you should waterproof the antenna connector with soft rubber tape.

The NanoStation M2 is far cheaper and more powerful.

It need to be powered an connectet with a wifi router?
All in one box, just give it 12 volt, i dont see how the NanoStation can be fittet...
Old 26-07-2018, 04:22   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We have an Alfa and it works really well, picking up signals strong enough to a good connection 500 meters, sometimes more. Helps to have it up high obviously.

I would strip it out of that box, ditch the white box then connect the alfa directly to a pc. Drivers are on the net if you need them. If it can connect to a good signal okay, then why not just wire it up so that only the alfa is in the box, you already have the bits.

Then look at a separate 4G solution.

Wirie have gone under btw.

Final alternative, sell me the box, alfa and antenna please.

Jo, its a shame they left!
It dont seam anyone else is making a simulare product...

Yes, i might have the bits, but they are not working.. [emoji57]
Old 26-07-2018, 04:33   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Separately I recon the Alfa will.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 07:14   #44

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

I originally had the alfa setup Alfa AWUS036NH & Alfa R36 and then later replaced the AWUS036NH with the "marine" version and 12db direction antenna. It worked acceptable but was kinda ugly.

So I did the research and got the Ubitquiti M2 and which is a single unit and allows me to use a dual band router. I have the boat wifi on 2.4G and all the personal electronic on the 5G.

That said, my home marine wifi is messed up. It's all Ubitquiti equipment, but the folks that set it up didn't factor the scale-out correctly so the first two repeaters into the marina is trying to service 60+ boats. So it has a nasty bottleneck and also was setup to use Class A 10.x.x.x so it conflict with those of us using Raymarine MFDs get an IP address conflict.

So I got a Huawei 4G/LTE Wi-Fi Router B310 and a $15 a month 5GB connection Mint Mobile (uses T-Mobile nextwork).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great and I still have the M2 for when we visit other marinas, but mostly now just use Mint connection.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:58   #45

We have Nanostation M2+airGateway. Works well.

Just I can't figure out one problem with streaming to Marantz M-CR510 Network Receiver connected via cat5 to airGateway. If I stream music from my phone connected to the same LAN, any WAN (internet) connection just stalls. It looks like all throughput via Nanostation M2+airGateway is fully consumed by LAN streaming.

Any ideas?
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote