Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 04:15   #61

Boat: Sabre 30 MKIII 1986
Re: Ubiquiti M2 is a piece of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you have hands like coal shovels used to toss achors around then a screwdriver put to a Nanostation reset button will be murder. This gear is professional grade, meaning it’s not to be installed by consumers let alone coal shovel equipped ones

Ubiquity is pretty neat; I think I was the first one to use the Nanostation and deal with all the “OMG it’s directional so can’t be used on boats” and currently I’m the last to be using Picostations as you can’t buy them anymore.

The ultimate is a Rocket-M coupled with a Rocket-Omni antenna
I am looking to purchase a WiFi system to use when my boat is at anchor or on a mooring and also in the yard. I am hoping to be able to connect to Spectrum WiFi for which I have an account.

People here seem to recommend the non local version of the M2 and I like the fact that I could attach an IP camera for watching the boat on the hard over the winter.

I worry about the M2 antenna being directional and swinging on the mooring ball.

The Rocket with a separate omni antenna is a lot more expensive but perhaps more suitable?

The bullets seem to be an older product now and I don't mind spending the money and doing this right first time.

What would you gurus recommend ?

Thanks
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:24   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
I am looking to purchase a WiFi system to use when my boat is at anchor or on a mooring and also in the yard. I am hoping to be able to connect to Spectrum WiFi for which I have an account.

People here seem to recommend the non local version of the M2 and I like the fact that I could attach an IP camera for watching the boat on the hard over the winter.

I worry about the M2 antenna being directional and swinging on the mooring ball.

The Rocket with a separate omni antenna is a lot more expensive but perhaps more suitable?

The bullets seem to be an older product now and I don't mind spending the money and doing this right first time.

What would you gurus recommend ?

Thanks
Can you see and access the Spectrum Wifi network from that boatyard on your smartphone or laptop? How about at the mooring?

If the answer to at least one of those questions is yes, then most of the better marine wifi booster systems will work for your stated purpose.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:41   #63

Hi,

I can see the Spectrum WiFi on my Iphone only if i walk to near the condo buildings next door to the yard.

The signal is too weak on the boat.

I could setup a directional antenna for use while on the hard but my concern is that this may not be optimal when swinging on the mooring ball...

I wonder if the M2 would work in both scenarios or I should go with an Omni directional antenna solution.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2018, 07:25   #64

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Genki--

I have the M2 and while the antenna favors forward facing, the gain is 8Dbi, so unless you are trying to access a very weak signal (eg. -80ish or less dBi) in my experience you won't really notice. The sweet spot is about +/- 60 degrees horizontality off the face of the unit, so it's pretty forgiving.

I was wondering about the directionality about the unit, since we have pretty weak wifi signal at our marina. I found I could turn the unit any direction and it kept the connection and the LED status lights for signal never changed.

Now if the internet only would work at our marina, since a wifi connection does not necessary mean internet connectivity.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23   #65

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered-1 View Post

Yes, the M2 and M5 are directional, but they are not so directional that they refuse to function off the "back" of the Radio. These radios have a dual-stacked panel antenna, a MIMO Radio, and highest-in-class transmit power, and a very very sensitive receiver. Add to that an extreme compact form-factor, 12-24V power, and a very forgiving web interface and you have a damn good gadget..
The Ubiquity M2 and M5 are only directional if you install it with a directional antenna such as the "rocketdish" antenna. For marine use it would be typically installed with a 8-16db omni-directional antenna. Using a directional antenna really is only of use if you are tied up in a marina or somewhere where you can hard mount the antenna with the ability to reliably aim it at a source.

Neither of these radios include an antenna, that's the advantage of them you can select the appropriate antenna for the application. I have an M2 on my main mast with a spare sitting in my nav station (used for the Erie canal when my bullet was laying on its side)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:53   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

This is why products like Wave Wifi exist. If you don't have a technical ITish background, their product uses hardware from Ubiquiti, but "Wraps" it up with a much easier to use software interface. It may seem backwards to pay more for something that simplifies are removes options, but it is worth it IMHO.

Chris

https://www.wavewifi.com/
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 13:27   #67

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Now if the internet only would work at our marina, since a wifi connection does not necessary mean internet connectivity.
Which marina are you in? The east end of Hayden Island (Tomahawk Island) is mostly served by Comcast, and it is quite normal in the summer months for the service to go in the toilet (a good place for Comcast generally) due to more folks at the marinas and cafes. There is little incentive for the near-monopoly to improve service. Also, they like to up-sell to higher bandwidth while the marinas like to be able to tick the wifi box at the lowest price. I share your frustration.

Also, have you tried turning down your output? Beaming too strong a signal into the AP can be counter-productive...

Greg

[Edit: BTW your directional antenna on the M2 may be part of the problem. It is important to receive the other users of the AP as well as the AP itself so as to avoid interference and consequent retransmission and lower throughput. (something known as the hidden node problem)]
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 13:35   #68

Hi,

I work professionally in IP networking and have run DD-WRT on many of my home wireless routers. But when it comes to Wireless theory (best Antenna's and signal propagation stuff, CPE products suitable for boat use) I am a not very knowledgeable.

I would not purchase the off the shelf packages because I prefer to tinker. Most definitely looking to build something out of recommended components myself and have no fear operating on CLI or GUI.

Thx
Old 07-08-2018, 13:41   #69

I used to use DD-WRT, but haven't felt the need with Ubiquiti products. IIRC it is no longer free for professional products like the Bullet, and the US government is preventing re-flashing wireless devices with non-OEM ROMs. Ugh.

Greg
Old 07-08-2018, 13:49   #70

The products that I have been investigating are;

Bullet M2 (seems to be the years old standard for sailboat WiFi)
Nanostation M2 (somebody here said don't worry about it being directional)
Rocket M2 (somebody here said it's the ultimate)
MikroTik Groove 52 (Good price, dual band, apparently advanced to config)

Thx
Old 07-08-2018, 14:02   #71

Greg--

Our boat up in Gig Harbor but love the toilet pointer. Our problem is not so much the strength of the signal, but the infrastructure. The wifi will connect just fine in the meeting room... but no connectivity. I've helped debug this a few time with the office... but system is overly complex and just unreliable. They reboot it 3-4 times during office hours.
Old 07-08-2018, 16:34   #72

Perhaps you can get them to spend a few bucks for a new AP? Or buy several identical APs and create a mesh network to cover the marina better. It really isn't that expensive - about $100/AP plus power to all and ethernet to one (or more). We're using Ubiquiti UniFi Mesh ac dual band access points in my marina, some ethernet and the rest mesh connected; they cover the entire marina well. I appreciate the problem is finding someone that the marina will trust to program the system first. They need to understand that wifi is an important part of their services - good luck with that...

Greg
Old 07-08-2018, 23:11   #73

Greg--

I've setup meshes before with DD-WRT for personal use and for a couple of friends that own restaurants, but the problem the marina has is they setup and Ubtquiti network and the didn't tailor the bandwidth to the devices. The two upstream devices that feed the six AP at the marina have the same capacity. Needs a bit of restructuring.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:34   #74

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
This is why products like Wave Wifi exist. If you don't have a technical ITish background, their product uses hardware from Ubiquiti, but "Wraps" it up with a much easier to use software interface. It may seem backwards to pay more for something that simplifies are removes options, but it is worth it IMHO.

Chris

https://www.wavewifi.com/
That is exactly why I went with Redport Halo. Super simple and no endless configuration discussions on the internet.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:34   #75

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidG

I am trying not to laugh aloud. Most of these posts are about one product or another that is selling for under $100. As important as WiFi is to a boater, why are you spending less on an important piece of equipment than you would on just one decent dinner?

Stop buying based on price and really look for quality, long lasting, state-of-the art equipment. You will not find Ubiquity or Microtik on that list.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote