Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 14:14   #76

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Ubiquiti M2 is a piece of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Stop buying based on price and really look for quality, long lasting, state-of-the art equipment. You will not find Ubiquity or Microtik on that list.
I seriously doubt that is the consensus here. Both Ubiquiti and MikroTik sell quality professional equipment at competitive prices. What has been said is that the user-friendly GUIs of some wifi gear is worth paying for, especially by non-technical consumers. Many of these systems use Ubiquiti hardware BTW. Also, many of these packages include a local AP, and even cell-phone data hardware; the off-the-shelf integration will be worth many folks considering. But quality is not the issue, and the implication that several of the excellent packages should be avoided because they use Ubiquiti or MikroTik hardware is off the mark.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 15:03   #77

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
I am looking to purchase a WiFi system to use when my boat is at anchor or on a mooring and also in the yard. I am hoping to be able to connect to Spectrum WiFi for which I have an account.

People here seem to recommend the non local version of the M2 and I like the fact that I could attach an IP camera for watching the boat on the hard over the winter.

I worry about the M2 antenna being directional and swinging on the mooring ball.

The Rocket with a separate omni antenna is a lot more expensive but perhaps more suitable?

The bullets seem to be an older product now and I don't mind spending the money and doing this right first time.

What would you gurus recommend ?

Thanks
The M2 is a great piece of gear! If you're worried about the antenna being directional, don't purchase a directional antenna for it. The M2 doesn't come with an antenna and works best in these scenarios with the purchase of an omni-directional antenna! If you're going to use an M2 or any other Ubiquiti on Microtik poduct, keep in mind that the GUI's aren't meant for Consumers. these are professional devices meant for trained technicians. Take your time to learn the GUI.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:52   #78

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Stop buying based on price and really look for quality, long lasting, state-of-the art equipment. You will not find Ubiquity or Microtik on that list.
I'm wondering what is on that list. As a Ruckus dealer, I know top of the line commercial hardware, but I am happy using Ubiquiti for my boat. It's rock solid and well made. It may be hard to configure, but there's tons of expertise here if someone wants to ask questions. If I was on the boat I would be happy to post my configure for people to upload and use as a starting place.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote