Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:36   #16

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113
Re: Ultrasonic Tank Level

Having gone down the Wema/Kus sewage tank sender that never worked well, we bought a GobiusC unit. So far it seems to be working well, although we've only been out a couple of weeks. The unit uses a micro radar and sends out the level via BT to a phone app and to the N2K network. Calibrating was pretty easy, plug in the some tank measurements and it knows the level. The best part, for non-metallic tanks there is no hole cutting, it attaches to the top of the tank with 3m VHB tape.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Having gone down the Wema/Kus sewage tank sender that never worked well, we bought a GobiusC unit. So far it seems to be working well, although we've only been out a couple of weeks. The unit uses a micro radar and sends out the level via BT to a phone app and to the N2K network. Calibrating was pretty easy, plug in the some tank measurements and it knows the level. The best part, for non-metallic tanks there is no hole cutting, it attaches to the top of the tank with 3m VHB tape.

A very cool looking unit!!

It's expensive (€366) but looks extremely good.

But how do you set it up? With BT? I doubt that any regular network MFD's would do it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A very cool looking unit!!

It's expensive (€366) but looks extremely good.

But how do you set it up? With BT? I doubt that any regular network MFD's would do it.
Yes, it is set up with the GobiusC app on Bluetooth, then it sends out the data in standard N2K language, my Zeus 3s reads and displays it. It should be compatible with any N2K MFD that can display tank levels.

It is on the pricier side, however, compared to telling your wife the holding tank is full and backing up, it is priceless.
Old Today, 10:53   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, it is set up with the GobiusC app on Bluetooth, then it sends out the data in standard N2K language, my Zeus 3s reads and displays it. It should be compatible with any N2K MFD that can display tank levels.

It is on the pricier side, however, compared to telling your wife the holding tank is full and backing up, it is priceless.

Cool; thanks.

This could be a hot tip, as I'm not hearing universally good things about ultrasonic sensors with black water tanks, and the Maretron pressure type seems even more expensive if you factor in the box and one sensor.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old Today, 11:41   #20

Quote:
Cool; thanks.

This could be a hot tip, as I'm not hearing universally good things about ultrasonic sensors with black water tanks, and the Maretron pressure type seems even more expensive if you factor in the box and one sensor.
I looked at Maretron, however it necessary to have a Maretron device to calibrate the sensor. The cost of the sensor and a dedicated display was much more than the GobiusC.
Old Today, 11:58   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I looked at Maretron, however it necessary to have a Maretron device to calibrate the sensor. The cost of the sensor and a dedicated display was much more than the GobiusC.

You don't néed a Maretron MFD, you can use a PC connected via an Actisense NGT etc.

But I still think you made the right choice. Looks like that works better with black water tanks, and I'm thinking about going the same way..
Walt Whitman
Old Today, 12:39   #22

Quote:
You don't néed a Maretron MFD, you can use a PC connected via an Actisense NGT etc.

But I still think you made the right choice. Looks like that works better with black water tanks, and I'm thinking about going the same way..
Yes, but I don't have a PC, I have Macs and I don't have a bridge between the N2K and USB. I could have purchased the Maretron bridge, but it would be for a single purpose, seemed like a waste money. That and I like the idea of fewer holes in the tank.