Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 10:28   #16

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Underwater Drone: Anchor Set Check, Safe Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
It would be cheaper to mount a uw camera to your anchor chain and run a cable to a large monitor.
I think you're on the right track.

Some distance above your anchor (5' ?) you could attach the tether of an anchor buoy. To this tether you attach a digital camera with fisheye lens, looking down. Camera data are transmitted, line-of-sight, from the antenna in the anchor buoy which is wired to the submerged camera.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 10:29   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Putting said: Much of what the OP described for hull duty can be accomplished with a poll mounted POV camera for less than $100.

This is what I have in mind. Can you tell us where you get
one of these? Have you used it? How's it do?

Maybe like this:

Amazon.com : Color Sharp CCD Fishing Underwater Video Camera w/ 90ft (30m) Cable 24 Bright White Leds : Underwater Camcorders : Camera & Photo
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 10:52   #18
cruiser

Underwater drone? I guess that would be me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	109317  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:18   #19

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Putting said: Much of what the OP described for hull duty can be accomplished with a poll mounted POV camera for less than $100.

This is what I have in mind. Can you tell us where you get
one of these? Have you used it? How's it do?

Maybe like this:

Amazon.com : Color Sharp CCD Fishing Underwater Video Camera w/ 90ft (30m) Cable 24 Bright White Leds : Underwater Camcorders : Camera & Photo
I think he's talking about a go pro on a selfie stick.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:25   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I like it! Unfortunately wouldn't be the first thing on my list but I can definitely see the usefullness in having one around if you have a grand to blow.
I like it too. Now if only I could get a rich friend or dockmate to buy one ...
Seriously, the only thing better than having a boat, or any toy, is having rich friends.
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:31   #21

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

If you have a good scoop-type anchor that buries itself completely, there will be little to see but disappearing chain and maybe a few fish.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:28   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I see potential for nefarious activities! It is a drone after all. You could use it to determine why your neighbor is catching all the fish. Customs will confiscate it. The list goes on and on.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Underwater Drone: Anchor Set Check, Safe Passages

ROFLMAO.... Sorry..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 13:36   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
If you have a good scoop-type anchor that buries itself completely, there will be little to see but disappearing chain and maybe a few fish.
You will still be very surprised with what you see down there, even with a scoop type anchor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 14:12   #25

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I plan to buy one of these, a borescope, it is a camera that connects to your USB computer.
2 5 7 10 15M 6LED USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Snake Inspection Camera 7mm | eBay
I'm not sure what kind of picture it will give from underwater, but it should be great for looking in rather in-accessible places like down the mast.
I tried an outdoor home USB camera in a sealed glass peanut butter bottle, but the infrared dark lighting screwed up everything underwater. I was trying to look at the hull underwater, but inland water in south Florida has enough tannin to make it absolutely dark 3 feet underwater.
Old 18-09-2015, 16:13   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I plan to buy one of these, a borescope, it is a camera that connects to your USB computer.
2 5 7 10 15M 6LED USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Snake Inspection Camera 7mm | eBay
I'm not sure what kind of picture it will give from underwater, but it should be great for looking in rather in-accessible places like down the mast.
I tried an outdoor home USB camera in a sealed glass peanut butter bottle, but the infrared dark lighting screwed up everything underwater. I was trying to look at the hull underwater, but inland water in south Florida has enough tannin to make it absolutely dark 3 feet underwater.
This camera looks interesting, but I see that the waterproof rating is IPx7. This is only good for immersion to one meter depth. Wikipedia has specs for all the various ratings.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 17:06   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

I like it. It can be done wirelessly too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 12:59   #28

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Looking deeper into the information available, the top speed appears to be around 4.4 MPH and the run time up to 3 hours using batteries.
It comes with a 25 Meter tether and a 100 Meter tether is available and yes, it's rated for over 300 feet of depth.

But the tether is attached to a wireless buoy that it pulls along, not back to the operator. The operator communicates wirelessly (long range) with the buoy for control and live video, and the buoy talks to the ROV through the tether with a 100 MB connection, so essentially fast Ethernet I would guess. With a 25 Meter tether you can go 'chart ahead' several hundred meters (whatever the wireless range is) in an anchorage or a channel up to 25 Meters deep and come up with an accurate and current layout of an area.

As a diver, I could see using it in an unfamiliar or uncharted area to pick out points of interest for where to dive or more likely just for exploring under water for the fun of it. If anyone has ever done RC flying it would be easy to understand the entertainment value of something like this. It wouldn't replace my diving, but it would certainly compliment it.

But if you have any doubt to it's usefulness, look at the stuff people are doing with the open source software for it where they create detailed 3D images of a wreck or a bottom and overlay it with surface images.
Could you see a future where crowd sourced 3D images of the ocean that are accurate and moderated are layered on top of sources like Bing Maps or Google Earth?

Granted, I'm a tech nut - but this looks cool and useful. I've bookmarked the site though and will be checking back next year for sure. If you've not looked at their site, before you cry vaporware - they do have a 1st gen product shipping and successful. This is a second gen (or whatever) product that they are many prototypes deep into already and plan on a November 2016 full release.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 13:14   #29

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

The oceans cover such an emence area of this planet and w know so little of them. This is a great start and should be used as an educational tool as well. Just watch out for kelp beds and sudden drop offs...
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 13:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
As a diver, I could see using it in an unfamiliar or uncharted area to pick out points of interest for where to dive or more likely just for exploring under water for the fun of it. If anyone has ever done RC flying it would be easy to understand the entertainment value of something like this. It wouldn't replace my diving, but it would certainly compliment it.
Yeah, this looks fun to me as a person that owns a couple of rc quad and tricopters. It makes me want to sell all of that stuff that is prone to crashing and expensive to fix to get one of these submersibles that should hopefully need very little maintenance and have almost no chance of flying off on its own to never be seen again.
SailBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, passage, water