Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 14:38   #16

Boat: DownEaster 38
Re: Updating electronics: Vesper and GoFree (B&G) and more questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I was thinking that if the Zeus2 and the xb8000 are both on the NMEA2000 backbone, that would get the Zeus2 data to wifi. I think the wifi-1 is just on the NMEA2000 backbone. I guess the real question is, is there anything proprietary going on in the wifi-1 that allows mirroring between the Zeus2 and GoFree app. I'm starting to think not. I'll go ahead and ask Navico, but was hoping someone here had first-hand experience.
Alert: WiFi 1 does not connect to N2K network. It connects to Zeus via Ethernet.
I just installed this and also double checked with the B&G website to be sure my memory is not completely bonkers.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:00   #17

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Alert: WiFi 1 does not connect to N2K network. It connects to Zeus via Ethernet.

I just installed this and also double checked with the B&G website to be sure my memory is not completely bonkers.

True. Just means the Zeus2 has to be on and operating to stream data over wifi. Not a problem whether you are sailing or sitting at anchor.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Thanks Bill. That does indeed answer my question. I basically want to run GoFree and have OpenCPN get data, but don't want to pay for more wifi capability in different units than I need. I was hoping I could forgo adding the wifi-1, as the anchor alarm on the xb8000 sounds like a great solution. Too bad the 6000 does not offer that, at least with just a connected external speaker

Didn't realize the 6000 doesn't offer anchor watch. Wouldn't think that this feature has anything to do with wifi. Guess it is just product differentiation. Is it worth the extra $200? Hmm...

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 04-04-2017, 07:14   #19

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

So we have Vesper xb8000 and a Zeus 7..... neither of which are hooked-up yet. Can the wifi-1 act as a router for the Ubiquiti Bullet's internet connection when at anchor without the Zeus being on? We currently use a linksys router for the Ubiquiti and were not planning on getting a wifi-1, but since the linksys is giving us trouble now, would love to replace with just the wifi-1 if it will work without having the zeus on too.

Matt
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
So we have Vesper xb8000 and a Zeus 7..... neither of which are hooked-up yet. Can the wifi-1 act as a router for the Ubiquiti Bullet's internet connection when at anchor without the Zeus being on? We currently use a linksys router for the Ubiquiti and were not planning on getting a wifi-1, but since the linksys is giving us trouble now, would love to replace with just the wifi-1 if it will work without having the zeus on too.

Matt
Speaking with regards to a Zeus2, one needs to have the Zeus2 on to switch the wifi-1 between Access Point and Client Mode. Once the switch is made, the Zeus2 can be powered off and the Wifi-1 will continue to do its thing. Just to define terms: Access Point is where the Zeus2/Wifi-1 stream data and allow the GoFree App to work. Client Mode connects the Wifi-1 to the internet via another wifi network.

But this isn't really a solution and it's a bit silly. The ability of the Wifi-1 to connect to the internet via another wifi network is really only useful to connect the Zeus2 to the internet. If you have devices that you want to connect to the internet, directly connect them to the network that has the internet rather than switching the Wifi-1 between an Access Point and Client Mode.

But having to switch networks on the devices complicates things with the Vesper because you'd want the Vesper to switch between the Wifi-1 network and the network with the internet to "follow" your device or else Anchor Alarm/MOB might not work as they function via wifi to your phone's app.

What the solution needs to be is to have the Wifi-1, Vesper and Ubiquiti on a single wifi network, with the Ubiquiti providing the internet (via connecting to yet another wifi network) and the Wifi-1 in Access Point so that GoFree and data streaming works.

I've given this some thought as I considered going down this path...

Because the Wifi-1 needs to stay as an Access Point, the only possible way it can connect to the Ubiquiti is via an Ethernet cable (w/ the spliced Wifi-1 connector on one end). I'm optimistic enough that this would work that I'd spend the $30 on the connector and give it a try, but no promises.

(If this doesn't work, there are two additional options. By default, the Wifi-1's Access Point is in Bridge Mode. It is possible to change this to Gateway Mode via the Wifi-1's web interface (google instructions), which might then work. (I actually don't know what the difference is between these modes, but it's something to fiddle with...) Second, one might need to add a router between the Ubiquiti and the Wifi-1, all connected via Ethernet cable.)

THEN, if the Wifi-1 streams the internet connection, the Vesper can try to connect to that network via its Client Mode (or to the router, if installed). One should be able to confirm that this works without connecting to the Ubiquiti, so perhaps try it first.

If there will be a radar on the network, things are more complicated...

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15   #21

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

The wifi-1 only has navico Ethernet connectors, and the bullet needs a RJ-45 Ethernet connector. And the wifi-1 has just two Ethernet connectors. So if one connects to the Zeus, and the other to the bullet with a cable that has navico on one end and eh-45 on the other, then *maybe* it will work.

Helpful aren't I?
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Didn't realize the 6000 doesn't offer anchor watch. Wouldn't think that this feature has anything to do with wifi. Guess it is just product differentiation. Is it worth the extra $200? Hmm...
Thinking this through more, it is obvious that the 8000 uses its wifi to make Anchor Watch/MOB work, so the 6000 won't have that functionality. Blah.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 04-04-2017, 11:56   #23

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Hello All,

Yes, I do connect with GoFree WIFI-1 directly to the Ubiquiti Bullet with the Navico supplied Ethernet cable to Network1. Network2 goes to the 4G Radar Unit 110. I am able to control and view the radar on OpenCpn on a Apple Mac Mini with an Acer Android Touch screen display.

I put the Zeus2 on standby and just use the OpenCpn window most of the time.All the N2K and 0183 data comes through fine to the iPads, MacMini etc.

I have not hooked up the Zeus2 to the Simrad autopilot, nor do I think I ever will. Too easy to end up going where you were not planning.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:11   #24

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Hello All,

Yes, I do connect with GoFree WIFI-1 directly to the Ubiquiti Bullet with the Navico supplied Ethernet cable to Network1. Network2 goes to the 4G Radar Unit 110. I am able to control and view the radar on OpenCpn on a Apple Mac Mini with an Acer Android Touch screen display.

I put the Zeus2 on standby and just use the OpenCpn window most of the time.All the N2K and 0183 data comes through fine to the iPads, MacMini etc.

I have not hooked up the Zeus2 to the Simrad autopilot, nor do I think I ever will. Too easy to end up going where you were not planning.
Thanks, Victor.

It sounds like hardwiring is the answer... [Which I already plan for RADAR to OpenCPN... Ethernet to laptop...]

Unfortunately for us, our Bullet is part of the WiriePro, so I would have to run an ethernet cable to it with an A/B switch, or get another Bullet...

Great to know. Thanks.

Cheers! Bill
Old 04-04-2017, 14:55   #25

Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Bill,

Fortunately Bullets are fairly cheap and the newer ones have many more features. If you really want one cheap, I have a spare in storage. Do you need an antenna too? I use the really big ones. I haul them up the to the lower spreaders when I get a town with WIFI.
Old 04-04-2017, 15:31   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Hello All,

Awesome info! So you still have to turn on the zeus while in harbor to use the bullet/gofree combo?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-04-2017, 16:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Awesome info! So you still have to turn on the zeus while in harbor to use the bullet/gofree combo?

Thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt,

Only need the Zeus2 powered up if you want winds, depth, AIS i.e. N2K or 0183 data. For the Bullet and GoFree assuming they are on separate CBs (circuit breakers). The Zeus2 does have it's own power switch but the GoFree and R110 do not. On the other hand, they draw little power especially on standby. My computers with power supplies, chargers etc draw much more power.

Bill and Matt:
One thing that I have to mention is that you can only have either the Bullet or GoFree doing DHCP. It is also better to let the GoFree do the DHCP thing because once you disconnect the Bullet because when you leave port you want the GoFree to be self sufficient. If you don't then you have to reset the GoFree after shutting down the Bullet. Better to give the GoFree it's own dedicate IP address to the Bullet so you can turn off DHCP for the Bullet.

Also the Zeus2 has a static IP address, in my case 192.168.10.77 and uses port 10110. This is essential in order to get the TCP N2K and 0183 data from the Zeus2 available on the network. It doesn't matter whether if you are using OpenCPN, iNavx, MacENC. They all need this address and port in order to get the data streaming. You can find the exact address of your Zeus2 by going to Settings then Network, NMEA0183 and finally Ethernet on Zeus2. Why it is there I can't explain but that is where you will find the IP address and Port that the Zeus2 is using. It is always the same.

Hope this is clear enough to get the main ideas.
Old 05-04-2017, 19:05   #28

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Bill,

Fortunately Bullets are fairly cheap and the newer ones have many more features. If you really want one cheap, I have a spare in storage. Do you need an antenna too? I use the really big ones. I haul them up the to the lower spreaders when I get a town with WIFI.
Thank you, Victor.

If we were cruising in an area where there was any usable WiFi from the boat I might take you up on your kind offer...

But we can go 1000 miles in any direction and still only be able to use our cell data from the boat- and even that is quite dispersed...

Marinas here are for working boats, so the amenities offered elsewhere are not offered here.

There is limited WiFi available when we venture forth on land- mainly in the public libraries...

Thank you again.

Cheers! Bill
Old 05-04-2017, 19:06   #29

Quote:
Hi Matt,

Only need the Zeus2 powered up if you want winds, depth, AIS i.e. N2K or 0183 data. For the Bullet and GoFree assuming they are on separate CBs (circuit breakers). The Zeus2 does have it's own power switch but the GoFree and R110 do not. On the other hand, they draw little power especially on standby. My computers with power supplies, chargers etc draw much more power.

Bill and Matt:
One thing that I have to mention is that you can only have either the Bullet or GoFree doing DHCP. It is also better to let the GoFree do the DHCP thing because once you disconnect the Bullet because when you leave port you want the GoFree to be self sufficient. If you don't then you have to reset the GoFree after shutting down the Bullet. Better to give the GoFree it's own dedicate IP address to the Bullet so you can turn off DHCP for the Bullet.

Also the Zeus2 has a static IP address, in my case 192.168.10.77 and uses port 10110. This is essential in order to get the TCP N2K and 0183 data from the Zeus2 available on the network. It doesn't matter whether if you are using OpenCPN, iNavx, MacENC. They all need this address and port in order to get the data streaming. You can find the exact address of your Zeus2 by going to Settings then Network, NMEA0183 and finally Ethernet on Zeus2. Why it is there I can't explain but that is where you will find the IP address and Port that the Zeus2 is using. It is always the same.

Hope this is clear enough to get the main ideas.
All good info. Thanks Victor.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
electronics