Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42   #1

Boat: Goderich 35
Updating software on old raymarine?

Hello all,

We recently took ownership of a Goderich 35. So far, the boat has been very enjoyable. Of course, none of the electronics work, giving us some sense of what is really essential when cruising.

This realization has not stopped me, however, from attempting to get the various pieces working. It has a Raychart 530C Plus chartplotter and a RL70C Plus display. The version of the software is circa 2005.

I called Raymarine, and the person I spoke with said that Raymarine is no longer supporting these units, and software updates were not available.

Does anyone know of any other way to get these updated? I don't think they have been used much and might still be useful. Any organization/individuals outside of Raymarine that might have the updates?

Thanks much,
Jay Martin
s/v Christina Rose
jkmarti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:45   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Updating software on old raymarine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmarti1 View Post
Hello all,

We recently took ownership of a Goderich 35. So far, the boat has been very enjoyable. Of course, none of the electronics work, giving us some sense of what is really essential when cruising.

This realization has not stopped me, however, from attempting to get the various pieces working. It has a Raychart 530C Plus chartplotter and a RL70C Plus display. The version of the software is circa 2005.

I called Raymarine, and the person I spoke with said that Raymarine is no longer supporting these units, and software updates were not available.

Does anyone know of any other way to get these updated? I don't think they have been used much and might still be useful. Any organization/individuals outside of Raymarine that might have the updates?

Thanks much,
Jay Martin
s/v Christina Rose
If the units ever worked, it is not likely the software that is preventing them from working now. 9 times out of 10, it is a wiring fault. Less than 10 years old, it is rarely an electronic component failure (except mechanical things like wind and speed transducers.

For newer devices (last 5 years) updating software is necessary, especially whenever a new device is added to a network, and something suddenly stops working properly.

If marine electronics are more than 10 years old, it is likely time to replace with new. The life expectancy of marine electronics is around 10 years (about 5 years for home electronics). Some may last longer, but you're on borrowed time and run a higher risk of sudden failure. If you don't count on your electronics, who cares? If you do count on them for your safety or sailing enjoyment, and they are flakey due to age, physical damage, or moisture ingress, you're kidding yourself that they can be made reliable again.

Electronic Engineering Technician
Raymarine Certified Installer / Service Provider
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 12:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmarti1 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks much,
Jay Martin
s/v Christina Rose
I found the updated software for the rl70 line dated 8/23/2006
It is the 5.16 version and has all the new features
Www.raymarine.com/view/index.cfm?if=7304
The file 5.16 as listed is the v1.13 upgrade
I also found a v1.14 upgrade but not sure where I found it. I could send it to you if you need it.
Also found a list of the upgrade
Could send that as well
Will look for the sites for both
Email me at rhcdoc@aol.com
If you want these as I can email the files
Good luck
Roger
Colettir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 22:56   #4

Software is not going to fix non working 15 year old stuff. Time for new gear.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 23:20   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Given that you know the current software version and want to upgrade, I assume the RL70C is actually working?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 01:24   #6

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
If the units ever worked, it is not likely the software that is preventing them from working now.
+1
The OP does not say what constitutes "not working" but I agree with others that a software bug is unlikely to prevent the thing powering on. Presumably also if you got hold of the software you'd need a way to write it to cmap cartridges?

If I desperately wanted the latest software I'd probably ask a local long-established raymarine dealer if they had a cartridge with it tucked away somewhere but it's probably better trying to sort out the real problem.

The "you need to replace your electronics every N years" thing is not one I concur with. Whilst I understand that, for example, non-solid aluminum electrolytic capacitors have a service life, the components used in a given product, the consequences of degradation of those components, how long and at what temperatures the product has been used by previous owners etc. is going to be opaque to most of us. A blanket "replace your electronics after N years" is just throwing money away. I have 29-year-old ST50 instruments connected via a converter to my n2k network and they work. 3 years ago I replaced my similar vintage Autohelm course computer because I *thought* the components had failed. When fitting a new unit I realised there was a corroded connector in the wiring path which looked fine voltage-wise when not under load but not so much when trying to deliver more than standby current.

Whilst electronics failing at some times are more inconvenient than others, if anyone can't get home without a particular piece of electronics I'll suggest that they're doing it wrong. Old kit can fail at any time. So can new stuff.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, software