Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2018, 08:41   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Upgrading stereo

I wish to upgrade the marine stereo on the boat. We currently have a automotive stereo installed in the main cabin with a multi disc CD changer. It works well but is pretty dated.

What I would like is a stereo that can accept Bluetooth from Pandora on my cell phone. CD’s and can function as a DVD player for our small led tv. Electronics are not my strong suite and I really have no idea what the specs are telling me. DIN ?

Can someone either recommend a system or at least tell me what specs I should look for?
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 10:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Upgrading stereo

I’d go on Crutchfields site and look around.
In my opinion a “Marine” stereo just isn’t necessary, DIN refers to size, single DIN think old fashioned radio with two knobs size, double DIN twice as tall. Depends on how much room you have, double DIN may look cooler, but are not necessarily better sounding.

I’d recommend buying a separate blue ray player for the TV, usually a DVD auto stereo with video outs can be much more expensive, depends of course on how much money do you want to spend. For sound for my TV, I just used the headphone jack on the TV plugged into the aux port on the stereo, much better than crappy TV speakers, and no extra money.

oh, and get one with a front USB, Pandora or any music is better over hard wire than Bluetooth, and the USB will keep the phone charged too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 10:13   #3

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Upgrading stereo

I love my new fusion stereo. Can get an app for your phone to operate it. Bluetooth. I play my music playlist and Pandora right off my phone. And also will Tie into many of the newer plotters to be operated from the plotter! You do not need the top-of-the-line models.
Old 18-05-2018, 17:56   #4

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)
Re: Upgrading stereo

We bought this unit from Sony (mex100bt) because it included a Class D amplifier. It draws next to nothing in amps and really drives out nice clean sound provided you have decent speakers that can handle the power. We've really been happy with this upgrade.

Crutchfield link...
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote