Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 22:36   #1

Upgrading to new Raymarine Electronics

Hey, currently in the process of upgrading all of my electronics. I have purchased an elements 9 inch chart plotter and i50/i60 depth,speed and wind instrument kit.

Currently trying to figure out what i need for the backbone to link them all together.

Here is a rough sketch in paint of my plan, feedback would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seatalk backbone.png
Views:	95
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	219131  
Mastermuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 04:35   #2

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Upgrading to new Raymarine Electronics

We do not know if all you have bought is Raymarine SeatalkNG, if so, or if you have an old item, you can look here.
https://www.raymarine.es/view/index-id=400.html

If any new item is not Raymarine, you will have to use NMEA2000 (devicenet) to SeatalkNG adapter cable because the connectors are different:
https://www.raymarine.es/view/index-id=5536.html
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 04:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Upgrading to new Raymarine Electronics

You will need a short adapter cable (C NET I think but check) to go from SeatalkNG to the Element 9, only a few dollars. I think you have the T connect for the Element 9 the wrong way round as the feed needs to be a spur on the T and an extra blue end plug fitted. These blue plugs are essential at the ends, but the black plugs for the spur fittings are just dust caps btw.

I am having discussions with Raymarine at the moment because the depth informatin from my ST60s doesn't show on my Element 9. The wind and speed does. You might have better luck with 50i because ST60s need to use the Seatalk/SeatalkNG converter to talk with SeatalkNG. Note I may add a sounder directly to the Element 9 later, but for now it would be nice just to have the sailing display display working with a depth reading.

You have a VHF and AIS with Rx only. Since you have a spare spur socket there, why not go for an AIS that also transmits, budget allowing.

Is the power supply into the network close to the batteries? Why not put the power into the network using a spare spur that the VHF connects to?

Do you have an authpilot on board?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, marine, raymarine