Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2022, 18:03   #1

US begins issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs

A few weeks ago, the US FCC quietly announced that it would now begin issuing VHF handheld MMSIs upon request to operators of licensed ship stations and to operators of licensed VHF coast stations. They have set aside blocks of 8MIDxxxxx MMSIs for both purposes.

Similarly, Shine Micro has also begun issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs under FCC/USCG agreement to users not required to have an FCC ship station license, such as recreational boaters who do not sail internationally. Shine Micro charges $25 per MMSI.

While BOAT US and US Power Squadrons have long been issuing and registering ship station MMSIs to boaters, neither are issuing VHF handheld MMSIs.

Most maritime countries have been issuing VHF handheld MMSIs for a long time. The US is just now catching up.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 18:31   #2

Boat: Yamaha 33
Re: US begins issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs

Boat US MMSI's may be used on handhelds.
vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 18:39   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
A few weeks ago, the US FCC quietly announced that it would now begin issuing VHF handheld MMSIs upon request to operators of licensed ship stations and to operators of licensed VHF coast stations. They have set aside blocks of 8MIDxxxxx MMSIs for both purposes.

Similarly, Shine Micro has also begun issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs under FCC/USCG agreement to users not required to have an FCC ship station license, such as recreational boaters who do not sail internationally. Shine Micro charges $25 per MMSI.

While BOAT US and US Power Squadrons have long been issuing and registering ship station MMSIs to boaters, neither are issuing VHF handheld MMSIs.

Most maritime countries have been issuing VHF handheld MMSIs for a long time. The US is just now catching up.
It's not really clear on the cost. I am assuming the cost is the same as for the Ships License, and this isn't a free add-on. It would seem that this isn't just an MMSI, but that you are applying for a Maritime License, and then specially requesting that the MMSI be the new handheld MMSI. Noting that the same form and service code (SA) is used for both, and that without specially asking, the VHF would be assigned a normal MMSI and not the mobile MMSI.

I might go through the process this weekend to see how it works out.
Old 23-12-2022, 18:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporware View Post
Technically, any MMSI can be used on handhelds. But having the MMSI listed as handheld in the ITU database would be useful during SAR. Also noting, BoatUS MMSI numbers are NOT in the ITU database at all, and can only be used in US waters.
Old 23-12-2022, 19:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporware View Post

Yes, but only if the handheld is used with, kept with, and registered with a single, specific boat. FCC has given some leeway here in the past, since VHF handheld MMSIs haven’t been available until now. These VHF handheld identities allow the handheld to be used among any number of boats, including boats you do not own.
Old 23-12-2022, 19:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
It's not really clear on the cost. I am assuming the cost is the same as for the Ships License, and this isn't a free add-on. It would seem that this isn't just an MMSI, but that you are applying for a Maritime License, and then specially requesting that the MMSI be the new handheld MMSI. Noting that the same form and service code (SA) is used for both, and that without specially asking, the VHF would be assigned a normal MMSI and not the mobile MMSI.

I might go through the process this weekend to see how it works out.

Yes I believe you are right. I believe you’d only get one MMSI per license, ship station or VHF handheld. I’d be interest in hearing what you find out after going through the process.
Old 24-12-2022, 11:11   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Pardon my ignorance but please educate me on the advantages of this thanks in advance.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 11:58   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380

How does one DSC their dink? I will not pay the big $ for station licenses for the dinks.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 12:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
How does one DSC their dink? I will not pay the big $ for station licenses for the dinks.
It isn't for a dinghy. It is for a radio that may be used on multiple boats. If you take your handheld with you when you join your friend's yacht. Or if you have a handheld you use for deliveries. If only used on one boat, or the dingy for that boat, then there is no reason for a separate MMSI from the mothership.
Old 24-12-2022, 13:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
….If only used on one boat, or the dingy for that boat, then there is no reason for a separate MMSI from the mothership.

Digital selective call would demand unique transmit ID’s. ie; unique MMSI correct?
I have two dinks that i want to call independently.
Old 24-12-2022, 14:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Digital selective call would demand unique transmit ID’s. ie; unique MMSI correct?
I have two dinks that i want to call independently.
If you want to call them independently, then they each need their own MMSI. If you don't leave the US, you could get them from BoatUS or Power Squadron. If you didn't mind both dinks sharing an MMSI (is that REALLY an issue?) then you could use the MMSI from the mother ship, or use a group MMSI created from the mothership. (drop the 0 from the end, and add a 0 to the front).

If you REALLY need unique MMSI numbers for your dinks, then they each need a license. But, the new license isn't for dinks, it is for radios which move between ships. Those ships would have different MMSI numbers, and you can't simply change the MMSI number on your handheld as you jump from ship to ship. So, the handheld gets its own license.

Edit:
I do not believe DSC demands unique numbers. I believe you can program the same MMSI number in multiple radios. Then call from one to the others by that MMSI number. Or, use a group MMSI number to make the call.
Old 24-12-2022, 16:59   #12

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Isn't the MMSI assigned to a physical vessel? So moving the radio around will no longer be valid for that vessel. Has there been a change in the requirement?
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 17:59   #13

MMSI's can be assigned to several diverse types of stations, not just one vessel, 8MIDxxxxx =

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 18:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Isn't the MMSI assigned to a physical vessel? So moving the radio around will no longer be valid for that vessel. Has there been a change in the requirement?

No change in the requirement. It’s the ship station MMSI (MIDxxxxxx), the type of MMSI BOAT US assigns, that is assigned to a physical vessel and prevents the radio using that identity from moving to another vessel. Since VHF handhelds commonly move among different vessels, a different identity was developed for them, the 8MIDxxxxx VHF handheld MMSI.

Getting the identity right helps the rescue authorities too. If the distress button on a radio encoded with a ship station MMSI is pressed, the Coast Guard will search for the boat registered under that identity. If the distress button on a handheld encoded with a VHF Handheld MMSI is pressed, the Coast Guard will reach out to the emergency contacts registered under that identity.

If your VHF handheld always stays on the boat it is registered with, there’s little benefit in having this new type of MMSI.
Old 25-12-2022, 05:19   #15

US begins issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
No change in the requirement. ….Since VHF handhelds commonly move among different vessels, a different identity was developed for them, the 8MIDxxxxx VHF handheld ….MMSI.
Ok. I have a FCC ships license. Do i take that MMSI, add the 8, delete the last digit, and program the HH radios thusly? Or, use the 98 prefix and drop the last 2 digits?

Tags
vhf