Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 16:38   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: USA iPad pay-as-you-go SIM

One thing about Airvoice is they allow any unlocked GSM device.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 16:52   #17

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

I think you said you were considering T-mobile so your iPad must be GSM. Take a look at Ting.com, a virtual wireless provider like Virgin, MetroPCS and dozens of others.

https://ting.com/rates

Its a new billing model where you only pay for what you use. They use T-mobile for GSM.
Old 30-09-2015, 18:49   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, I assumed a more recent iPad than the iPad 2. If the iPad model is the 4th generation or newer, or any of the mini models, then it is universal for all carrier modes.

That would be any iPad sold as new model from 2013 (late 2012, actually).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 19:15   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

T-Mobile doesn't have much of a presence in many areas out west and you said you wanted to do the Rockies. I'm with Verizon and it's great but my phone came from them.
Old 30-09-2015, 19:46   #20

The widespread adoption of LTE (4G) not only sped things up but made the speed acceptable with the less strong signal you tend to find cruising.

I'll frequently get 5-6 Mbps with LTE if only one to two signal strength dots is showing. This is enough to stream video. With 3G, less than 4 dots is frustrating for anything but email. Verizon's LTE coverage seems to be far better than the competition.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 20:21   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks again for all the info. I have a iPad 3 (first retina display version). I'm currently on the Rogers Network, which is GSM. I'm not sure if this means Verizon is off the table -- it uses CDMA doesn't it? But if they won't allow me to use my own tablet, then forget it.

Ting looks interesting. Thanks. T-mobile is good, but it looks like there are lots of gaps in our intended route. Hmmm, lots to consider.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:52   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

I have an ATT prepaid data account for $25 for 2Gb/month on my router. You'll probably find better coverage with ATT than T-Mobile.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:37   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have a iPad 3 (first retina display version). I'm currently on the Rogers Network, which is GSM. I'm not sure if this means Verizon is off the table -- it uses CDMA doesn't it? But if they won't allow me to use my own tablet, then forget it.
Regardless of Verizon's stupid policy, your iPad is off their table because it does not have CDMA capability.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:45   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

OK, Verizon is out. I love it when the list starts getting whittled down. I'll look at ATT. I was assuming the big boys would be the most expensive, so hadn't considered them yet. But I can afford $25 .
Old 01-10-2015, 08:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I would look at a Verizon. While the other carriers have caught up some, I still find that Verizon provides better speeds and reliability outside of major urban areas. I was in the mountains of Vermont last week and still getting a good LTE signal on Verizon.

In cities, they all work pretty well.

No problem using it as a hotspot

I have a 2nd Ipad mini with ATT for "belts and suspenders" but don't find it helps enough to be worth the trouble and expense.
I would second this assessment. IMHO, Verizon has the best signal coverage and highest data speeds on average nationwide.

The problem is, Verizon is pretty pricey with their cellular and data plans. The way around that is to sign up via Straight Talk. They claim a data cap. of 20GB/mo. after which they throttle you down to lower speeds, but I've heard reports that they really don't monitor your usage. Just buy any Verizon compatible phone you like with a clean ESN, call Straight Talk or go online and register the phone with them. For $45/mo. you'll get unlimited calling, texting and data anywhere in the US. Just setup the phone as a mobile hotspot and tether the Ipad off of that. Straight Talk doesn't care if you tether.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:27   #26

Check out Prepaid Unlimited Cell Phones - No Contract Phones & Plans | Virgin Mobile
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:50   #27

Virgin mobile uses Sprint as their carrier. I used them for a very short time, lousy coverage, slow network. The very worst of everything.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:26   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

Mike, if you just want to go to a store, buy a sim and get online go to Wal-Mart and get the straight talk card. 5 GB fast, then unlimited at a slower speed. You buy the sim card and plan at Wal-Mart's electronics section. You could even buy it before you leave Canada.

Smooth sailing!
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
For reasons that are a bit long to explain here, our cruising life currently involves motorcycles and trying to stay warm . To that end we are leaving Canada and driving around America for the coming months.

I'll be taking my unlocked iPad with me, so want to use local SIM cards. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best service to get for a data-only (iPad) device?
I can't be specific about data only. I had very good service from AT&T when we were recently traveling around US for regrettably only a month. That was a temporary sim for my dual sim Sony Xperia Z3+. The help and service in one of the AT&T Chicago shops was great, making sure it worked OK. (Likewise in Canada I used Rogers) I also had a cellular iPad and only used wifi with it which was provided in all our motels and of course Starbucks etc. The cellular iPad was also great for GPS mapping. Checking the various telco providers coverage maps before our travel showed that AT&T seemed to me to have best coverage and we were not disappointed.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:05   #30

Further to my above comments and not to do with a data sim. Regarding the cellular iPad I used a Hema USA map as well as Maps.Me in my cellular iPad. They are both offline maps and use no data. They both came alive in the US showing GPS location in a map view which complimented our TomTom car navigation device. I hope that helps. Have a great ride.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad