Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 06:14   #46

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Using a tablet as a boats system backbone

Like Mainstreet, I used 2 iPads, I also had an android as a backup. I had Navtronics, iSailor, Garmin BlueChart, iNavX, and TimeZero nav programs. I found Garmin BlueChart (no longer being updated) as the best for US waters and iSailor best for Bahamian waters. The TimeZero was so I could overlay my radar on a chart. The only down side is that the iPads could not last an entire day without being plugged in. Also the iPad's polarization and my sunglasses polarization were on different axis and I was not able to see the screen with sunglasses on (fixed it with different sunglasses)
I found the experience trouble free and very reliable.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 07:50   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Dadrock33. A disadvantage of a laptop versus a tablet is that there are many free or low cost marine apps that run on tablets that you can't get on a laptop. I do use a laptop in addition to an ipad in addition to Garmin MFD. I wouldn't feel comfortable using just a tablet for reasons mentioned earlier, but if I were in the market I'd probably get a smaller MFD than I would otherwise. I find the portability of my ipad when approaching an anchorage an advantage.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 16:41   #48

Boat: TBD

My iPad Air 2 has gps. It works great with Navionics.

HOWEVER......if it gets cold like in the 40’s it will simply shut down. I had mine shut down 5 miles into a 45 mile trip on the river. My first trip in a bigger boat. Then the starboard motor quit a few minutes later. Fortunately I had just received a complete set of river maps. Still trying to navigate by only bouys in a busy channel my first time in a bigger boat was a real learning experience

They are also not exactly water proof. Most certainly I’d keep it out of salt water.i would not go anywhere without charts at least as backup. Most certainly study the maps for landmarks, bridge clearance and other obsticals.

Install the navigation program on your phone too. At least you can keep it in your pocket.
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 22:28   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I would go with the tablet over a fixed touch screen. At 64 I still have good balance and hand-eye coordination. But even on a 44’ cat when things get bumpy touch screens feel like a “roadside sobriety test”. It is worse on a monohull. Often my left hand is used to stabilize my right hand so I can use the touch screen— rather comical if you watch me.
I'm headed for 75 and take medication with a shakiness enhancement side effect so I put this hand rest rail under the MFD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20190419152137.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	190287  
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 14:07   #50

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Furuno DRS4W FirstWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
We ran the Furuno First Watch radar on our previous boat. It's wireless and connected to our tablet but, at that time, they only had software for iPhone and iPad. It worked great for what we needed. There may be other units out there now.

John

@MV Wanderlust
@Scorpius
@mjscottinnc

John and anyone else who used a firstwatch radar, I would really like to hear more about your experience with the DRS4W.

Do you have any updates or advice on if you like or dislike this product? How did it compare to other radars you have used and owned?

I never run a generator and rarely run the alternator. How energy efficient was it?

Was it’s range decent and resolution accurate?

What programs sis you run it with? Did it interface well with iNavX or OpenCPN? Or any other programs?

Did you use a iPad or a chartplotter? What GPS antenna? Was that also wireless?

Did you or anyone find a way to run it on a android or windows based machine? Did anyone try a iOS emulator on a windows PC?
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 14:18   #51

Except for not having a gain control, the Furuno First Watch is a great unit. I have had a few 30-40ft sportfishers sneak into the 1 mile ring undetected, while at the same time, picking up dolphins breaking the surface of the water.

Range to 24 miles is accurate. Display only in a dedicated iPad on our boat. If you use TimeZero for navigation, you can overlay the radar. However, if you use wifi to port your NMEA data through a multiplexer, you will need to change wifi sources to view the map data and will lose your depth, speed, wind, etc in TimeZero, until you switch back to your multiplexer. Not a big deal. I have no difficulty seeing where we are in relation to the radar screen and translate that mentally to the nav map.

We use iNavX and were using a Brookhouse imuxST until it crapped the bed last month. It appears that Brookhouse is out of business, as their website is dark. Not surprising. The guy is an absolute jerk....but the product was good, when it worked.

I would recommend the DRS400 wholeheartedly.
dalbright1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 17:11   #52

Boat: TBD

I’m not familiar with most of your post, however I do use my iPad Air 2 for navigation on the Mississippi rive. I use the navionics software. It’s relatively easy to use. As with most GPS locators the accuracy is suspect. It’s fairly accurate on item location compared to the Coast Guard Maps. Some points that could be hazardous are humorously noted. For example “ something big” it’s big alright about 100 yds long and 50 yds wide. More popularly known as a sand bar.3-5 feet deep at best.its right at the edge of the channel on the entrance to our marina. The marina has its own buoys to Mark it that they put out in the spring. The river dredge came by last summer and dredged almost a straight line at the edge of the channel so this looked like an underwater wall. It scares the socks off you when you are cruising in 9-10 feet of water and the depth finder goes off and you are in 3 feet of water drawing 3 1/5 feet. Oh well the props needed polishing anyway. Part of being a “river rat”
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat