Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2023, 15:29   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Using a Victron Multiplus and Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger together

Hi, I have a Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 on my boat. I power it either with shore power or a generator. I have a 600ah LiFePO4 house bank. The Multiplus does just fine but my generator has more capacity than the Multiplus demands, and I'd like to reduce the time I need to run the generator to charge by batteries. My thought is to run a Phoenix Smart IP43 charger in parallel and at the same time as the Multiplus. At max output this would drive 120+50=170 amps into my batteries, which is quite a good improvement. I know people run multiple chargers and/or alternators at once but I've never seen, and cant find, any definitive info on this. I know the IP43 charger has a feature where it can synchronize charging with other IP43 chargers across the network, which is exactly what I want, but with a Multiplus instead.

I also like that the Phoenix Smart IP43 charger will allow me to plug into shore power in marinas in the Caribbean where they only have European spec power.

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 07:00   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Using a Victron Multiplus and Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger together

I am getting ready to install both of these amongst other things on my boat. Wasn't intending to use it for the purpose you specify but will ask my Victron expert about your need.
Old 13-08-2023, 11:25   #3

Boat: Nauticat 43

Our solution for using shore power with European specs and connector is what you intend to do. We have a dedicated charger (Mastervolt 12/75-3 Charge Master Plus 12V 75A 110/220V 3 bank) going to the battery bank. We'll use our Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 charger/inverter if we need AC (e.g. appliances using outlets).
Old 13-08-2023, 19:41   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I think he wants it all going to the batteries
Old 13-08-2023, 19:59   #5

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Thanks for the responses so far.

The most simple description of what I’m looking for is a second charger that can run in parallel to my MultiPlus so I charge my house bank faster. Is it okay to run two chargers at once? And in particular can I run the MultiPlus and Phoenix IP43 together?
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 23:20   #6

They will not talk to each other. But will work fine with both chargers working separately Just set voltages same on both. One may cut out first when near full. But both should go full chsrge when batteries are lower.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 14:37   #7

We have a Multiplus 3000 and two Phoenix 50 amp chargers charging our LiFePO4 bank. Puts a nice load on the genny.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 18:09   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.

The most simple description of what I’m looking for is a second charger that can run in parallel to my MultiPlus so I charge my house bank faster. Is it okay to run two chargers at once? And in particular can I run the MultiPlus and Phoenix IP43 together?
Pretty sure the Phoenix ip43 only takes AC input. And I don’t think it is stackable like their other dc-dc chargers. Certainly not stackable with a multiplus
Old 14-08-2023, 19:19   #9

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

You can run as many chargers as you want as long as you don't exceed input current limit of your system and/or batteries and don't exceed your AC source limits.

We have a 50A (1+1) Phoenix IP43 that we use sparingly as a backup shore power charger in case the Multiplus x 2 break or we want to charge from alternate voltage/hz sources. When testing we had 5 MPPTs running and IP43 without any issues. The charger will output the full amp rating you set in the app for the charger until the destination can no longer accept the full amount (CAR). It does run hot so I found that I turned it down to 35-40A to keep temperatures under control. This is normal for blue boxes without active cooling (fans). I over spec our MPPTs as well. We have 7 of them.

Victron allows the IP43 chargers to sync with other VE.Smart Networking chargers including MPPTs. But as I experienced the MPPTs don't get priority. The IP43 just keeps outputting whatever you set, up to it's maximum.

I believe to have any shared controlled charging with the Mulitplus you will need a full DVCC setup. We have this, but I'm unable to test for you at this time. Our use case with dual 120A charging capability from the dual Multiplus means we don't need to supplement them as you are asking about. Heck, we hardly every connect to any AC source as we now have a 2895Wp LG solar array.

For your actual need they don't need to be sync'd. Just have one set to a lower value (13.6-13.8v) range. When it drops out you're done or almost done anyways.

Tags
charger