Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2022, 07:31   #1

Vesper Cortex Buyer Beware

I purchased and installed the Vesper Cortex system with both a wireless and wired handset, and after 4-5 months, I had some experiences that I believe this and the greater sailing community should know about.

Without prattling on forever, these are the key issues that I have with this product and I cannot recommend anyone purchase it.

1. Some sort of software issue triggers the distress function. I know it wasn’t accidentally set off by someone aboard as we woke up in the morning to the distress DSC call log on the screen. This happened on 4 different occasions, and fortunately things never got so far as to have had more than one conversation with Canadian Cost Guard on the VHF.

2. The VHF call button broke with gentle, non-gloved use. This happened offshore, which was alarming- but a backup VHF handset served as duplicate. Upon further examination, these units are not at all built like a standard VHF handset. The switch is in reality a piece of plastic that translates the button movement to the circuit board. This piece of plastic is glued to the board and is perhaps 1-2mm square. Emergency use (pressing hard perhaps) could all but guarantee the failure of this beyond flimsy interface. Again, the unit was 4-5 months old and used rarely.

3. Garmin was receptive to this and issued a RA, but made no effort to send a replacement unit to our general location, so I’m out an extra $750 until they ship the new handset.

4. The mounts are clunky and cheap. Every time you remove them from the cradle, I find it a bit frustrating.

5. The wireless handset doesn’t connect across the length my boat. For instance, using the anchor alarm, one cannot be at the bow of the boat with the handset approximately 25’ from the central Cortex unit and maintain functionality.

—-
Sure I could create a list of all the things I love about this system too, but after our last trip these issues seemed so large that I wish I had made a different choice but don’t have the $ to go a different route.

If you own this product, make sure you have an alternative to the handset for VHF capabilities!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20F6BF14-8C45-4010-970A-B8288FEF16C6.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	264181  
Squalls Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 17:47   #2

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49
Re: Vesper Cortex Buyer Beware

Don’t feel bad - I bought a Garmin “black box” VHF with 2 remote mics 2 yrs ago. So far 3 mics have failed (1 defective out of the box) and the transmit buttons stick in the transmit position frequently. These are all built to a price. Emergency use is secondary consideration it would seem.
Old 09-09-2022, 18:30   #3

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Vesper Cortex Buyer Beware

Thanks for the report. Just curious what type of boat you have, and if you're using an external wifi antenna or just the internal?

I've a GRP boat and haven't had the connectivity issues yet.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote