Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 17:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Vesper Marine xb-8000 anchor alarm problem

Since may last year we’re fultime cruising , using the vm xb-8000 constantly also as our main anchor alarm

I am not sure when it first started but lately I noticed that our external alarm does not always work when the boat drifts outside the set circle

Today we moved to another anchorage and i forgot to turn the anchor alarm off and set it to ‘coastal’ , when i wanted to reset the anchor alarm i realized i forgot when we moved to another anchorage but no alarm sounded when we left ?!

I tried to manually activate (test) the external alarm but no alarm. I had to turn power off and on again on the xb-8000 to get it working again .

I am not sure after how much time it stops working (hours , days , weeks ?) but this should be a ‘set and forget’ function and not a ‘set and daily test hopefully it works when we need it’ function ?

We spent the last 2 weeks in Cville Tobago anchored but I now feel not so sure anymore and will sleep less comfortable

Anyone else experienced this problem and how did you solve it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00C59C04-EE75-4D89-AF52-649B52393F3D.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	188110  
Old 15-03-2019, 19:45   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Vesper Marine xb-8000 anchor alarm problem

How are you setting the alarm? In my experience it remembers well, even if you turn off the router, run out of phone battery, or whatever. Reconnecting with another device brings up the correct anchor alarm settings and trace history. Are you sure the xb8000 didn't lose power?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
How are you setting the alarm?

I am setting the alarm through the app, either on my phone or ipad

Quote:
In my experience it remembers well, even if you turn off the router, run out of phone battery, or whatever. Reconnecting with another device brings up the correct anchor alarm settings and trace history.

Trace history keeps working , I can see out track around the anchor and the breadcrumbs show like normal, just the external alarm doesnt sound anymore if we drift outside the set circle OR if I test the alarm manually through the app

Quote:
Are you sure the xb8000 didn't lose power?

no I am not sure it (briefly) lost power somewhere in the week(s) we are anchored out but I always see it in my wifi list and can connect to it
Old 15-03-2019, 20:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Shoot Vesper an email, they respond pretty quickly
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 08:26   #5

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

Would you post your response from Vesper?
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 08:29   #6

Will do , ive just dropped them an email
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 10:03   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

Never had a problem with my vesper xb8000 anchor not going off, so I am also curious why yours is not. Do you have the optional vesper alarm installed or do you rely on iPad only? If iPad only, perhaps there is a communication issue between vesper and iPad? Whatever the case, I hope you find an easy fix. The xb8000 is a fine piece of equipment that has worked flawlessly for me.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 10:04   #8

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

I also use vesper as our anchor alarm. It reliably screams when I pull out of my anchor without turning it off, but following.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 10:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Sorry BUT: Anchor Alarm? Do you really trust the accuracy of GPS? I am talking about an inaccuracy of 200ft! at max. That makes 100 ft radial.

Quite a lot, isnt it..

Besides your technical problem which can only solved on board and with your equipment.

Easy: check speaker and wiring, take a small speaker from a PC and mount it at the XB directly. By then you know where the problem is.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 10:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
Never had a problem with my vesper xb8000 anchor not going off, so I am also curious why yours is not. Do you have the optional vesper alarm installed or do you rely on iPad only? If iPad only, perhaps there is a communication issue between vesper and iPad? Whatever the case, I hope you find an easy fix. The xb8000 is a fine piece of equipment that has worked flawlessly for me.

I am not sure when it first started but lately I noticed that our external alarm does not always work when the boat drifts outside the set circle

I typically set the alarm with my iphone / ipad
Old 16-03-2019, 10:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Sorry BUT: Anchor Alarm? Do you really trust the accuracy of GPS? I am talking about an inaccuracy of 200ft! at max. That makes 100 ft radial.

Quite a lot, isnt it..

I just checked, its accurate to within 1.1 meter ( 4 feet) and has been since the beginning , so yes I have and do trust it (the gps)

Quote:
Besides your technical problem which can only solved on board and with your equipment.

Easy: check speaker and wiring, take a small speaker from a PC and mount it at the XB directly. By then you know where the problem is.

the external alarm from vesper is exactly that , an external alarm similar to a buzzer / small speaker and is connected direct;y to the XB

not sure what other equipment would have an influence on thsi stand alone system with alarm ?
Old 16-03-2019, 11:04   #12

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Following.....
Old 16-03-2019, 14:09   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Also following as I have an XB-8000 with which I am very pleased, but for which I have yet to try out this feature.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 14:17   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:

Quite a lot, isnt it..
Accuracy is irrelevant. Consistency is. I regularly let out 20m of chain and set the alarm at 25m, the track shows us jigging around in a circle just inside the alarm trigger. You can set the alarm by pinch/zoom anyway once you’ve seen how you’re moving. The trick is to remember to hit the anchor button as you drop it, not once you’re set. I do this on the iPad at the helm while releasing the anchor.

And yes, the vesper external alarm is a buzzer you can put anywhere, with a separate cancel button.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 15:55   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

The Vesper anchor alarm works very well. We use it every night. GPS repeatibility is extremely good. False alarms occur due to errors in setting the anchor drop point and inadequate swing room in the alarm circle. Not because of GPS position issues.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor, marine