Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 14:06   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: VHF alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Great insight, many thanks. I have ordered a N2K so its GPS could serve the network in case the one in the plotter fails. Looking fwd to seeing this dialogue, but I’ve been waiting for over 6 months now, Std Horizon (and most brands I think) is out of stock of some electronic component [emoji21]
I don’t think the internal GPS in these radios will ouput their GPS data over 2K. I know my new SH radio doesn’t.
Old 05-08-2022, 14:09   #47
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
This functionality would be awesome. Unfortunately, it is not a well prescribed industry standard. My older (2012?) but relatively high-end Furuno chartplotting system (NN3D) will not export to my ICOM DSC radio, as confirmed by Furuno. It may work within a given brand, does not work with industry protocols. It would probably take me 2 to 3 minutes to move a known MMSI from the chart plotter to a DSC call.
Well my SH radio with integrated NMEA2000 works as I describe with my Raymarine MFD, the more modern totally N2K systems tends to be better defined then the 0183 versions as the radio PGNs are fully described by NMEA.
Old 05-08-2022, 14:11   #48
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Same over here; if I have reason to call a ship I start with 13, as it and VTS are the two channels they are required to monitor.
Well DSC alerts overrides all that anyway and is a better bet then hailing channels in my direct experience.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:26   #49

Boat: Lagoon 400

Shut down the VHF when you are nit sailing and certainly when you are not onboard.
Really it seems not a problem.
And yes, turn it on when you turn on the navigation instruments.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:35   #50

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well my SH radio with integrated NMEA2000 works as I describe with my Raymarine MFD, the more modern totally N2K systems tends to be better defined then the 0183 versions as the radio PGNs are fully described by NMEA.
This is welcome news. I have current- generation Raymarine electronics, but an older VHF. I was told by Raymarine a few years ago that their (Axiom) chartplotter could only initiate a DSC call on a Raymarine branded VHF.

If it can initiate a call on a Std Horizon radio, I might consider a new radio just for that capability. What model are your plotter and radio?
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:52   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I concur. Extremely obnoxious. As DSC, ICOM should permit them to be disabled if they are greater than a reasonable response distance. We get relays in the Caribbean from the French islands while we are in Antigua. They are also, in French. Additionally, DSC and GPS MOB alarms are routinely tested by the super yachts in Faulmouth Harbor, Antigua. Usually after midnight or before six AM. It sets off alarms all over the harbor. Same siren as my anchor watch. Why a MOB test should sound as a true alarm is beyond me.

We shut off the VHS at night but the anchor watch/AIS must remain on.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:06   #52
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
This is welcome news. I have current- generation Raymarine electronics, but an older VHF. I was told by Raymarine a few years ago that their (Axiom) chartplotter could only initiate a DSC call on a Raymarine branded VHF.

If it can initiate a call on a Std Horizon radio, I might consider a new radio just for that capability. What model are your plotter and radio?

Axiom + and SH GX1850
Old 08-08-2022, 13:54   #53

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
A listening watch on 16 is no longer a requirement as the DSC alert with trigger the radios alarm.
Except that the vast majority of distress calls are not made with DSC.

I've been sailing for 50 years, and around the world. I've never heard a DSC distress call but I have heard plenty of people calling for help on Ch 16, and at times I've been able to assist them or relay the call.
Old 08-08-2022, 14:08   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Shut down the VHF when you are nit sailing and certainly when you are not onboard.
Really it seems not a problem.
And yes, turn it on when you turn on the navigation instruments.
The reason to keep it on while on board, even when not sailing, is that people often call for help on the VHF. Even at night. In my experience it is common. Maybe it is not life threatening, but they need help sometimes. If I hear them I might be able to help. That's why I'd prefer to keep the radio on.

And once I heard a call at night, "Wings, you are dragging"
Old 08-08-2022, 15:34   #55

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Just to be clear, my profile is correct. "Home" is Maryland. We left June 9 to do the Down East Circle, and will be back in October.

Follow our adventure at circe.travelmap.net
Your location is not necessarily your home port, it is your current location.
I understand though that most people don’t want to pull up Cruisers Forum just to change their location every time they move. I only change my location whenever I make a move or jump from one place to another.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 08-08-2022, 21:23   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I've been sailing for 50 years, and around the world. I've never heard a DSC distress call but I have heard plenty of people calling for help on Ch 16, and at times I've been able to assist them or relay the call.
A call on regular call, 16 VHS will be close enough to consider responding. A call on relay or massively big CG transmitter from Guadalupe or Martinique in French while anchored in Antigua is not going to get any response. We hear these often. After a while, it’s the little boy crying Wolf.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 23:30   #57
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Between May and June , I heard two distress relays announced by Olympia radio , both were DSC alerts. I have not heard any other vhf distress calls in that time

Calling for help , do you mean mayday !

In the US 60% of boaters do not have an MMSI , according to CG Data. Dsc has widely been regarded as badly deployed in the US , the lack of operator training is a huge factor in poor dsc usage . The situation in Europe is remarkably different and in my experience false dsc alerts are now very rare indeed
Old 09-08-2022, 04:49   #58

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
The reason to keep it on while on board, even when not sailing, is that people often call for help on the VHF. Even at night. In my experience it is common. Maybe it is not life threatening, but they need help sometimes. If I hear them I might be able to help. That's why I'd prefer to keep the radio on.

And once I heard a call at night, "Wings, you are dragging"

Agreed. At a dock I'll usually shut mine off, but it depends on where we are. At anchor, VHFs are always on until we go to sleep. Unless I turned the volume way up, a midnight call is unlikely to wake me up, so no point in leaving them on. If I were worried about the anchorage or something, I'd leave a handheld on next to the bunk (I'll hear it and it's shorter range with the small antenna, so less chance of me being woken by something that's not local enough to care about).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:29   #59

Quote:
...Calling for help , do you mean mayday !...
No, radio calls for assistance are not usually "Mayday" and if I have heard "Mayday" it's never been a true mayday situation.

Mostly what we hear are
  • "There is a dingy floating free in the anchorage"
  • "We are dragging and our motor doesn't work"
  • "We are sailing into the marina without our motor, can anyone tell us the channel for the marina?"
  • etc, etc

Often it's foolish people, who ought to be able to help themselves but when you hear the fear in their voices, frequently a wife as her husband is struggling to deal with something on deck, it hits you in the heart and you have sympathy for them anyhow and often just hearing your voice in answer when it is the middle of the night and somebody is scared is all it takes to settle them down a bit.

But I've heard sincere emergencies and have been able to assist myself or relay the message to someone who could, and it's for those types of calls that the convention of mariners helping mariners was established.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:30   #60
Nearly an old salt

VHF alarm

Quote:
No, radio calls for assistance are not usually "Mayday" and if I have heard "Mayday" it's never been a true mayday situation.

Mostly what we hear are
  • "There is a dingy floating free in the anchorage"
  • "We are dragging and our motor doesn't work"
  • "We are sailing into the marina without our motor, can anyone tell us the channel for the marina?"
  • etc, etc

Often it's foolish people, who ought to be able to help themselves but when you hear the fear in their voices, frequently a wife as her husband is struggling to deal with something on deck, it hits you in the heart and you have sympathy for them anyhow and often just hearing your voice in answer when it is the middle of the night and somebody is scared is all it takes to settle them down a bit.

But I've heard sincere emergencies and have been able to assist myself or relay the message to someone who could, and it's for those types of calls that the convention of mariners helping mariners was established.

I ask because these types of calls do not result in a DSC distress alert. As you say most routine vhf calls are not still DSC initiated but distress alerts are and should be DSC alerted.

Around me , vhf traffic is very light and there’s little chit chat. I think everyone uses WhatsApp !!!

Tags
alarm, vhf