Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 17:40   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: VHF cable stuck in the mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Maybe. I’ll check the picture I took. I think it’s a solid insulator, so that will be really hard to do.

I've used this trick in the past, but I usually spike the wire from the side using a hook, but this probably won't work in your case because you have little leverage.

You've got very limited room inside 32mm, probably none if it's jammed full of other wires, too. I ALWAYS keep a small hollow tent pole on the boat because they have a million and one uses and they're about 2 bucks each to buy at camping stores.

If there is any possibility to snare the cable instead, perhaps try this: get one of the aforementioned tent poles. Now, go get some soft steel tie wire of a diameter that allows two sections of it to pass down. The bigger the diameter the better though, because you want to form a loop that will hold shape at the end of it (and will need to be bent at 90 degrees to the pole. Now cut a suitable length of tie wire, fold it into two and pass it down the tube and form a loop at the end. Pass this loop down the conduit and work it over the end of the coax so that it can be snared and held against the end of the pole. If you manage to achieve this, hold the tie wire poking out the top for the pole and push the pole down to force it against the coax. Wrap a screwdriver around the wire at the top of the pole and tighten it spanish windlass style. With sufficient tension on the snare, hopefully you can retract the pole with coax attached.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 18:53   #17

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Is this what you meant? I found other types that didn’t look of potential. This might work so long as the grip is strong. It’s a hard plastic coating on the cable.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Long-Flex-C.../dp/B0793JWN3H
I meant this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...79d96927hOPBsQ

I have some, and I will be happy to mail one to you. I use this to retrieve things from holes, and to fish lines and wires. I also have a snare version.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 01:47   #18

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Is there enough space to get a small soldering iron down to the cable? You could melt and roughen up the smooth plastic insulation for better grip with Reefmagnet's snare or the Amazon pick-up?
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 08:37   #19

Boat: Island Packet 32

Perhaps, rather than trying to grab the coax cable, devise your loop to be the diameter of the entire mast extrusion, lower it in well past the end and close it, trapping anything that is within the mast, hopefully that being the cable.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 08:47   #20

Tent pole or similar with a blob of super glue on it, touch if off the cale and wait for it to bond and hey presto
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:19   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and pull the mast, then do the wiring properly.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:58   #22

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Those little grabber things are not very strong. I have used them quite a few times to retrieve fallen nuts or bolts but to pull something heavy or stuck is likely not going to happen. The item that will work if only you can get it over the end of the coax several inches is the wire puller built like a Chinese finger lock if you know what I am referring to. the trick of course will be to somehow slip it over the offending coax . Best of luck. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 14:01   #23

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Is it possible to pull the cable down toward the base of the mast? If you can start working it downward it will relieve the jam up and make it easier to pull out.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 16:50   #24

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I’m sorry to hear about the problem you have.

I have one of these “grabbers” and it probably won’t lift a long coax cable.

If you can attach a keyless chuck like some electric drills use to a long rod that might work. Open the jaws just enough and push them over the cable end. Turn the shaft to clamp the jaws onto the cable. You would need to practice on the ground to work out the technique. Some keyless chucks can grip really hard.

But you are fighting a really difficult problem. The cable will be slippery and may be jammed. You may need to pull the mast. That will relieves a lot of the force required to pull the cable back up.

When you get the cable back use a Chinese finger puzzle cable gripper to avoid the problem in the future. There should never be any weight placed on a coax connector. They aren’t designed to hold any weight.
Can you get a keyless cluck small enough to go down a 32mm conduit?

I like the the finger puzzle gripper. If I’d had one, I’d not have a problem.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 16:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I meant this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...79d96927hOPBsQ

I have some, and I will be happy to mail one to you. I use this to retrieve things from holes, and to fish lines and wires. I also have a snare version.
That link goes to biopsy forceps. I suspect that is not what you meant. They also do polyp snares. Maybe that’s what I need.
Old 24-04-2019, 16:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
Is there enough space to get a small soldering iron down to the cable? You could melt and roughen up the smooth plastic insulation for better grip with Reefmagnet's snare or the Amazon pick-up?
That sounds like a very hard task. It would need to be a very thin soldering iron such as I have never seen.
Old 24-04-2019, 16:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Perhaps, rather than trying to grab the coax cable, devise your loop to be the diameter of the entire mast extrusion, lower it in well past the end and close it, trapping anything that is within the mast, hopefully that being the cable.
That would be a good step. I need the tools to do it.
Old 24-04-2019, 17:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
Is it possible to pull the cable down toward the base of the mast? If you can start working it downward it will relieve the jam up and make it easier to pull out.
I can pull it out only with access to the base. That means pulling the mast. A sure, but very expensive solution.
Old 24-04-2019, 17:20   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Can you get a keyless cluck small enough to go down a 32mm conduit?
I guess probably not at a local hardware store.

The best solution I have heard so far is the snare. For an idea how to design a snare look at the Brion Toss splicing wand. Here is one to look at:

https://www.sailrite.com/Splicing-Wa...SABEgL7qfD_BwE

It isn't long enough to reach your cable. But it would not be hard to make one that is long enough.

I would try to make one of these and see what happens. It only takes a 1 meter piece of tubing such as 8mm conduit with a chamfer cut at the end where the snare cord comes out. In fact, it will probably work without the handle. Find some really small 1mm kevlar parachute cord sometimes called "recovery cord". Put a loop through the tube to snare the cable and pull really hard.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 17:44   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK, it would be nice to see some photos, but how about this: A treble hook sized to fit in the conduit with a bit of room. I think, if my calcs are correct there should be 8mm between hooks of a treble that would fit inside a 32mm conduit. Bend each hook at an angle, not in or out but at 45 or more degrees to the shank, (like a drill or propeller) so that if it were twisted in one direction one of the hooks would grab what it hits. Does that make sense? Mount it rigidly on a dowel or old fishing pole without guides. Lower it down rotating as you go. Hopefully one of the hooks will stab the insulation and give enough strength to pull it up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, vhf