Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2022, 15:46   #16

Re: VHF License

It is possible to tell who has and who has not taken a radio course by listening to the chatter on the radio.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 02:16   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It is possible to tell who has and who has not taken a radio course by listening to the chatter on the radio.

That’s for sure the use of “ OVER and OUT “ pro words together is a dead giveaway.
Old 25-02-2022, 13:32   #18

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That’s for sure the use of “ OVER and OUT “ pro words together is a dead giveaway.
Absolutely able to tell. Radio check on channel 16, full conversations and dinner reservations on channel 16, cursing, and on and on.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 15:03   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
In 30 years of pleasure boating, I’ve actually never been asked for a radio cert of any type , neither operator certs or ships radio licence. The use of call signs is unusual these days

Despite all that of course I have all the required certification. But just saying
I just flipped through my binder to see if any recent ports asked/have the box on the form. Both the United States and Panama ask for the callsign, but do not need to see the license. Both in the past 3 montsh. Most people probably use the ROAM app for the US and probably don't get asked for the callsign on the app. But the paper form definitely does have it. As does Panama's clearance paperwork.

Slightly different, but in Indonesia I was asked for my MMSI number, and the paper to prove it was mine. In that case (the only time I recall) I did have to show my actual FCC license to authorities.

Commercial ships do often use callsigns. On VHF, I only think they are required if the ship is required to carry a VHF, which for recreational boaters like we all (probably) are, we are not technically required to carry a VHF.

On SSB, the use of a callsign is not optional, it must be used. But no one ever does, and there is no enforcement.
Old 25-02-2022, 15:06   #20

Quote:
lol

I don't think I have heard those used since I was 14 and got my first "CB" radio.
If the person you are listening to is from the US, then they didn't take a course. No course is required in the US, only money.
Old 25-02-2022, 20:21   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming II View Post
Hello,

Quick question, do I need to get any type of license from the FCC to operate a VHF radio? If so, can you please direct me where to go to get one?

Thank you

No, at least not in the USA on a USA-flagged boat with a US citizen radio operator. Technically, the FCC calls this "licensed by rule" which means that you are granted a license automatically by virtue of being a boat with a VHF radio that conforms to the FCC's technical standards.

Outside the USA, you are no longer "licensed by rule" and (if you are a US citizen on a USA-flagged boat) have to have a ship station license (for the boat) and a restricted radiotelephone operator's permit (for you). As pointed out upthread, there is little enforcement and requests for the paperwork are rare.
Old 26-02-2022, 02:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
This is not the CCG's opinion on this, as far as they are concerned (except in an emergency) even turning the radio on requires an ROC(M). This came up on another thread, so I emailed Industry Canada for clarification and got a call back from the Coastguard lawyers who outlined their position.

Of course, unless you are being a nuisance on air, enforcement seems to be absolutely zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Legal vs actual practice?

I've only heard that, for safety reasons, CCG would prefer all boaters to have a VHF, whether with ROC(M) or not. Not exactly evidence-based info though.

As you say, there seems no enforcement.
It's a bit of a cascade effect, though.

A VHF licence is required for a bunch of other licences/courses. RYA Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and YachtMaster. I don't actually know about the USCG 25-, 50- and 100-ton licences, but I would expect it's the same.

It's a safety issue of course. Someday when/if you're in dire straits, knowing how to communicate briefly and effectively may save your life.

Kelkara, thanks so much for the info ellicited from calling Industry Canada directly.

Cheers All,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 02:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Commercial ships do often use callsigns. On VHF, I only think they are required if the ship is required to carry a VHF, which for recreational boaters like we all (probably) are, we are not technically required to carry a VHF.
Really? Is that for the US?

I've never heard of that. Is that for US-flagged "recreational boat"s?

If so, that's pretty foolhardy, wouldn't you say?

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 04:29   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
A VHF licence is required for a bunch of other licences/courses. RYA Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and YachtMaster. I don't actually know about the USCG 25-, 50- and 100-ton licences, but I would expect it's the same.

Restricted Radio Operator license not required for USCG 25/50/100-ton credentials. Requirement may kick in for other reasons (as in actually operating a vessel outside U.S. waters, some employment categories on some vessels, etc.).

Quote:

RRO and Ship's Station licenses not required for a recreational vessel within U.S. waters. I suspect the thinking is that more recreational boaters will at least voluntarily acquire a marine VHF radio if there are no licensing requirements.

-Chris
Old 26-02-2022, 04:59   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

LW77
Yes, in the US recreational boats under 65 feet are not required to have a VHF.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 12:25   #26

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
You don't need a licence to operate a vhf radio. You DO need an MMSI number if you have a vhf with DSC and want to use the DSC function or if you want an AIS. To get am MMSI, you need a vhf operators permit because that's how the MMSI is obtained. Some charter companies want you to have a marine radio operators permit (MROP).

For all of this, search the FCC.gov website.

Ben
This might depend where you are, OP didn’t have a location, in the UK you need a Broadcasting licence, so a VHF radio certificate, to apply for the license, Normally from the RYA for the certificate. Licence is free.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 12:41   #27
Nearly an old salt

VHF License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
This might depend where you are, OP didn’t have a location, in the UK you need a Broadcasting licence, so a VHF radio certificate, to apply for the license, Normally from the RYA for the certificate. Licence is free.

Just to get the nomenclature right ( in most countries )

A ship ( boat ) has a Ships Radio licence , this is the legal permission to establish a ships radio station and against it you are provided with an international MMSI and ships call sign.

In many countries the ships radio license lists every radio emitting device on board , ie radar , epirb etc.

A ships radio license remains with the ship and not the owner. A licences radio operator is typically required to acquire a ships radio licence but this doesn’t have to be the owner. ( or the permanent radio user )

An operators license is then required to use the ships radio station except in an emergency

The most common is the ROC , restricted radio license covering VHF , DSC , GMDSS , EPIRB NAVTEX and SART

after that you have the LRC certificate covering VHF and DSC HF

then you have the GOC. covering Inmarsat and TOR ( telex over radio ) as well as HF and VHF.

The rya day skipper does not require a vhf license.
Old 28-02-2022, 13:09   #28

Reference for rules in the USA:
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations
Old 28-02-2022, 13:32   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post

Other then the names and classes of radio licenses the fcc rules for us vessels operating internationally are largely the same as elsewhere , ie ships radio station permission and operator licensing

I forget to mention a ships radio license requires you to maintain a radio log !!
Old 03-03-2022, 18:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming II View Post
Hello,

Quick question, do I need to get any type of license from the FCC to operate a VHF radio? If so, can you please direct me where to go to get one?

Thank you
Not in the USA, and in 30 years sailing in the Caribbean, never been asked for one.

And you need nothing to obtain an MMSI number contrary to another post.
CaptJimFrei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, vhf