Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 10:53   #1

Boat: 2007 Lagoon 440 OV
VHF License

Hello,

Quick question, do I need to get any type of license from the FCC to operate a VHF radio? If so, can you please direct me where to go to get one?

Thank you
Liming II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 11:01   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: VHF License

You don't need a licence to operate a vhf radio. You DO need an MMSI number if you have a vhf with DSC and want to use the DSC function or if you want an AIS. To get am MMSI, you need a vhf operators permit because that's how the MMSI is obtained. Some charter companies want you to have a marine radio operators permit (MROP).

For all of this, search the FCC.gov website.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 11:05   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Depends on your country of origin and current country of cruising location. Operating any radio device in certain counties without proper licensing could land you in jail, some devices are even prohibited.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 11:06   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

You DO need licensing if you intend to use the VHF radio outside of the U.S. One would be a Restricted Radio Operator license (for you), the other would be the Ship's Station license (for the boat, and that's what includes an MMSI).

FCC.gov

Or, if you don't intend international travel you can just get an MMSI from BoatUS.

-Chris
Old 16-02-2022, 11:40   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27

As a practical matter, does any country actually require the Radio Operators license or the Ships license? I have the latter, but at least in the caribbean, I've never been asked for it, and some of the western caribe countries are known for perhaps an undue love of paperwork.

Or is this an FCC requirement for Americans cruising abroad?
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 11:44   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
As a practical matter, does any country actually require the Radio Operators license or the Ships license? I have the latter, but at least in the caribbean, I've never been asked for it, and some of the western caribe countries are known for perhaps an undue love of paperwork.

The FCC requires you to have it if you want to use a VHF outside the country. But even if they don't actually ask for proof, many countries (including Canada) expect you to be licensed to operate a VHF.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 15:39   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The FCC requires you to have it if you want to use a VHF outside the country. But even if they don't actually ask for proof, many countries (including Canada) expect you to be licensed to operate a VHF.
Canada requires a Restricted Radio Operator's Certificate - Marine ROC(M). Individuals from other countries must also have their equivalent "licence" to operate VHF in Canada.

Canadians operating VHF outside of Canada also require a "station license". Similarly, individual on boats from other countries (including the USA) require a station license from their country if they are using their VHF in Canada.

Listening only (or transmit for emergency use) doesn't require a ROC(M) in Canada
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 16:16   #8

To go back the original question here is the reference for the US (and since the post mentions the FCC I assume that is where you are):

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations

If you are not required to carry a radio (and most recreational boats are not) then no license is required when you are within the US. There is also a discussion of the MMSI.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 17:00   #9

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Listening only (or transmit for emergency use) doesn't require a ROC(M) in Canada
This is not the CCG's opinion on this, as far as they are concerned (except in an emergency) even turning the radio on requires an ROC(M). This came up on another thread, so I emailed Industry Canada for clarification and got a call back from the Coastguard lawyers who outlined their position.

Of course, unless you are being a nuisance on air, enforcement seems to be absolutely zero.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 18:01   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
This is not the CCG's opinion on this, as far as they are concerned (except in an emergency) even turning the radio on requires an ROC(M). This came up on another thread, so I emailed Industry Canada for clarification and got a call back from the Coastguard lawyers who outlined their position.

Of course, unless you are being a nuisance on air, enforcement seems to be absolutely zero.
Legal vs actual practice?

I've only heard that, for safety reasons, CCG would prefer all boaters to have a VHF, whether with ROC(M) or not. Not exactly evidence-based info though.

As you say, there seems no enforcement.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 18:12   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:

Many countries do ask for your FCC callsign, but I have never been asked for the paper that goes with it.
Old 17-02-2022, 02:23   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Many countries do ask for your FCC callsign, but I have never been asked for the paper that goes with it.

In 30 years of pleasure boating, I’ve actually never been asked for a radio cert of any type , neither operator certs or ships radio licence. The use of call signs is unusual these days

Despite all that of course I have all the required certification. But just saying
Old 23-02-2022, 19:23   #13

Quote:
A VHF operator's license is a legal requirement in the UK, in practice I suspect it is very widely flouted by people who grew up in coastal areas. I can't imagine a visiting yachtsman being asked to present a certificate.
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 12:55   #14

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Depends on your country of origin and current country of cruising location. Operating any radio device in certain counties without proper licensing could land you in jail, some devices are even prohibited.
JAIL....really? Where did you hear that??
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 13:51   #15

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
JAIL....really? Where did you hear that??

North Korea's Welcome to North Korea Yankee Dog, page 6042.

Tags
license, vhf