Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 06:08   #1

VHF with AIS receiver - choosing an antenna/splitter

Hi

Currently I have an handheld VHF on board and no AIS. I would like to upgrade and it looks like a VHF with integrated AIS receiver would be the way to go. Next step would be to connect it to the chart plotter.

If we take for example B&G V60
1. What should I bear in mind when choosing an antenna for both VHF/AIS? Any recommendations for something affordable with good performance. The new antenna would go to the mast 10m high.
2. Is the AIS/VHF antenna splitter integrated into this device or do I need it separately?
marth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 08:48   #2

Re: VHF with AIS receiver - choosing an antenna/splitter

I have a standard horizon GX2000 with vhf/ais with Shakespeare AS-2 splitter.

I don't have it connected to the chartplotter but its definitely an option. I got use too using the little screen on the radio interface.
tolip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:17   #3

You have an AIS unit separate to the VHF right? I get the need for a splitter in this case, but was wondering if it’s needed with a VHF unit with integrated AIS.
Old 20-10-2020, 11:29   #4

If looking at a AIS receive only, integrated into a VHF (as in the mentioned standard horizon GX2000) no splitter is needed; it is simply receiving another VHF-FM through the existing receiver through the VNF-FM antenna servicing the GX2000. It was a relatively simple plug/play installation though it took a call the Garmin to get it talking to the chartplotter.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:35   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marth View Post
...wondering if it’s needed with a VHF unit with integrated AIS.
I have a GX 2200. Just hooked it up to the existing antenna and wiring. No splitter. RS 422 USB interface into my Raspberry Pi 4 for plotting on OpenCPN. Works well.

Many will tell you that receive-only AIS is basically worthless. Given the low volume of commercial traffic in my normal cruising grounds, it's been a cheap and easy way to gain practical experience with AIS.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:53   #6

Thanks guys, that’s the splitter sorted. Regarding the antenna, should it be more tuned for the AIS frequency rather than a regular VHF antenna?

Receive-only is half the money for half the functionality. I really started thinking about AIS this summer when I had to motor 50 miles in fog. So neither did I hear or see much. Asked one commercial ship if they had seen me at all on the radar and they said no. Despite the (cheap) reflector and mast...

On the other hand I haven’t decided yet, might be better to go with transponder integrated VHF.
Old 20-10-2020, 11:55   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I have a GX 2200. Just hooked it up to the existing antenna and wiring. No splitter. RS 422 USB interface into my Raspberry Pi 4 for plotting on OpenCPN. Works well.

Many will tell you that receive-only AIS is basically worthless. Given the low volume of commercial traffic in my normal cruising grounds, it's been a cheap and easy way to gain practical experience with AIS.
I have the same setup, same VHF but mine is displayed on a 19" HDTV.

I do use the AIS a lot though because there are two busy shipping channels here that I have to cross to get to one of my favorite anchorages and I like to see if I will have any traffic when I'm crossing them or if any ships are "hiding" behind the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and will suddenly pop out doing somewhere around 18 knots

That goes for Container ships, Tankers, Navy Subs, and other navy ships...plus tugs
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:58   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marth View Post
Thanks guys, that’s the splitter sorted. Regarding the antenna, should it be more tuned for the AIS frequency rather than a regular VHF antenna?

Receive-only is half the money for half the functionality. I really started thinking about AIS this summer when I had to motor 50 miles in fog. So neither did I hear or see much. Asked one commercial ship if they had seen me at all on the radar and they said no. Despite the (cheap) reflector and mast...

On the other hand I haven’t decided yet, might be better to go with transponder integrated VHF.
I just removed my old VHF and screwed the antenna jack into the SH GX2200 and both the VHF and AIS work great. I've had 143 AIS targets on my target list before docked in Little Creek, VA.......some over 30 miles away

I didn't tune anything.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 17:02   #9

I have the same experience with the SH GX2200, just used the existing VHF antenna. I don't think an antenna "tuned"for AIS would have made any difference. As to the argument that receive only isn't worth it, I think it may depend on how and where you use the boat. I am in the lower Chesapeake and my main value is to see the commercial traffic so I can plan where and how I am going to stay out of their way! It's nice to see all the recreational AIS targets but I know not every smaller boat has AIS so try not to get complacent.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, antenna, vhf