Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 11:40   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: VHF with DSC, AIS, and GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm getting a SH GX2200 this week, in fact. It seems identical to the 2150, save that it's gone a 66-channel GPS instead of a 12-channel, which seems a minor improvement
The 2150 has no internal gps at all - it requires a separate gps for operation.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 17:50   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'll be damned. I was under a distinctly different impression. It's possible I was mixing up the attributes of the ICOM M604...nope, no internal GPS there, either.

Apparently, the stack of product data sheets I keep above the bed has fallen on my head. Thanks for the clarification. I have a not-very-new SH 850 handheld VHF with GPS...perhaps that's why I assumed "of course it will have GPS aboard".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 21:10   #18

Boat: Cornado 25

BOE Marine has them (limited stock) for 325.00 Back ordered on the black, but once distribution catches up, I would expect thats gonna be the average price break. Had a 2150 on the list for spring, but for 50 bucks, can always use a 3rd backup for the gps.
Also saves bunch of fiddling with the nmea bus. Primary GPS is an old Garmin 128, hockey puck GlobalSat on the laptop for OpenCpn, and now the GX2200 for AIS rcvr/ DSC / GPS triple check.

Still take a noon shoot every day though.. and paper charts. A Ludite at heart.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:32   #19

Hello...I bought a gx2200 about a month ago and it works well....
except I cannot use the AIS list to complete a DSC call.
When I select a name from the list and select call it takes me to a screen which displays the mmsi nimber but not the name. I initiate the call but never receive an acknowledgement to complete the call.
Tech support at SH sez it's because DSC is "kind of new" and people don't have their radios set right or they're too far away (2 nm) or they don't want to talk to me or the antenna is blocked or etc.
I can complete a DSC test with the CG (using mmsi 003669999) and I can complete a DSC call with a neighbor by entering his mmsi manually.
Of course I could call the other boat by reading the name off the AIS display (except when it only displays mmsi number) on Ch 16 and then switch channels but that kinda negates the reason for DSC doesn't it?
I welcome emails at seajackski at gmail dot com.
Any one else having similar problems?
Fair Winds!
seajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33   #20

Update..
SH Tech Support is working the problem which will require a software update
for the list-name problem.
seajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 00:25   #21

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Can you feed back with that update. I'd be interested in it myself
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 07:25   #22

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

have the 2200. works well. thanks for the last posts about updates to the unit. will check to see if I need it. I do like that the gps info can be output to the NMEA stream as well as the AIS/DSC info. Have a display on my MUX to display GPS info. now the plotter doesn't HAVE to be on , if it isn't needed, and the gps info is still displayed. Have had DSC for years now. Have never actually used it to complete a 'call', yet! Have received some distress calls from other boaters though.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 14:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajack View Post
Hello...I bought a gx2200 about a month ago and it works well....
except I cannot use the AIS list to complete a DSC call.
When I select a name from the list and select call it takes me to a screen which displays the mmsi nimber but not the name. I initiate the call but never receive an acknowledgement to complete the call.
Tech support at SH sez it's because DSC is "kind of new" and people don't have their radios set right or they're too far away (2 nm) or they don't want to talk to me or the antenna is blocked or etc.
I can complete a DSC test with the CG (using mmsi 003669999) and I can complete a DSC call with a neighbor by entering his mmsi manually.
Of course I could call the other boat by reading the name off the AIS display (except when it only displays mmsi number) on Ch 16 and then switch channels but that kinda negates the reason for DSC doesn't it?
I welcome emails at seajackski at gmail dot com.
Any one else having similar problems?
Fair Winds!
I have had the 2200 since last year and it's fantastic. The AIS is terrific in it. I too have tried making calls with DSC and I've not once got anyone to respond which I thought was odd. One early morning I tried calling up a Bass Strait Passenger ferry to let him know we were nearby and no answer, but he respond immediately on VHF. A few nights after that I tried call a Chineese tanker that was on a collision course coming up behind us and he too didn't answer DSC, but responded reasonably quickly when hailed by name on VHF. . At this point in time I'd be putting my confidence a lot more in other means of emergency response than in DSC. I know it's new but I would have thought a lot more would be using it as yet.

Recreational vessels in this part that have DSC I think are relatively few. And I'm guessing that's because most of them don't have a license to be operating the VHF and without that you can't get an MMSI to use DSC.
Old 28-10-2014, 15:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have had the 2200 since last year and it's fantastic. The AIS is terrific in it. I too have tried making calls with DSC and I've not once got anyone to respond which I thought was odd. One early morning I tried calling up a Bass Strait Passenger ferry to let him know we were nearby and no answer, but he respond immediately on VHF. A few nights after that I tried call a Chineese tanker that was on a collision course coming up behind us and he too didn't answer DSC, but responded reasonably quickly when hailed by name on VHF. . At this point in time I'd be putting my confidence a lot more in other means of emergency response than in DSC. I know it's new but I would have thought a lot more would be using it as yet.

Recreational vessels in this part that have DSC I think are relatively few. And I'm guessing that's because most of them don't have a license to be operating the VHF and without that you can't get an MMSI to use DSC.
you can get an mmsi from boat us for free.

I think most people have no idea how to reply to a dsc call! I have had it for a while now, and have no idea how to use it myself. No real good practical way to practice.

As long as the 'little red button' works, I am good! (one feature I hope to never have to test!)
Old 28-10-2014, 18:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
you can get an mmsi from boat us for free.

I think most people have no idea how to reply to a dsc call! I have had it for a while now, and have no idea how to use it myself. No real good practical way to practice.

As long as the 'little red button' works, I am good! (one feature I hope to never have to test!)
There are restrictions on it as there are in Australia. But if your in Australia as I am, then to obtain an MMSI you need a license/permit to operate a VHF. I don't think Australian's can get one via this site.

Registration Criteria

BoatUS has been authorized by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers only to vessels that meet the following criteria:
  • Used for recreation only
  • Not required by law to carry a radio
  • Do not make international voyages or communications
Do NOT Register with BoatUS MMSI if:
  • your vessel is required to carry a radio onboard (“Compulsory Equipped”)
  • you plan to visit or communicate in a foreign port including Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and the British Virgin Islands
If either of the above conditions apply, you are legally required to obtain a Ship Station License from the FCC. They will issue an appropriate MMSI with the License.
NOTE: when traveling to foreign ports, you are required to have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit holder aboard.
Old 28-10-2014, 22:10   #26

my bad.. i always assume everyone is in the US
Old 28-10-2014, 22:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
my bad.. i always assume everyone is in the US
me too.
Old 29-10-2014, 06:19   #28

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
NOTE: when traveling to foreign ports, you are required to have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit holder aboard.
I am not sure if you are quoting the FCC or made that up yourself. The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is the FCC lowest-class operator license for a radiotelephone transmitter. If you hold a higher class commercial radiotelephone operator license, you do not need to have the lowest class license, too. I believe it would be more accurate to say one needs to have an FCC radiotelephone operator license to be strictly legal when operating a marine radiotelephone transmitter outside of the USA.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 07:46   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To make things sillier, used to be back in the day you were issued that radio telephone operator license when you got a pilots license, and aircraft were required to have a radio station license. Now the pilots license is considered a radio telephone license.
So, as I have pilots license does that comply?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 13:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
I am not sure if you are quoting the FCC or made that up yourself. The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is the FCC lowest-class operator license for a radiotelephone transmitter. If you hold a higher class commercial radiotelephone operator license, you do not need to have the lowest class license, too. I believe it would be more accurate to say one needs to have an FCC radiotelephone operator license to be strictly legal when operating a marine radiotelephone transmitter outside of the USA.
Before making accusations dude, check the information. It was a direct pasted quote from the link supplied by the other poster!

If you desire to be this nitty picky, then take it up with the web producers of Boatus.com

Tags
ais, dsc, gps, vhf