Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2022, 08:37   #16

Re: Wakespeed refusing to update firmware

Funny. When I go to Wakespeed.com, I get nothing forever and ever.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
?? I just looked at their site and it seems normal.

Strange. I'm trying Welcome to Wakespeed on a mac (both firefox and safari), and on my phone and I get nothing. No errors, nothing. Just a stalled progress bar. I wonder of they blocked me?
Old 05-07-2022, 08:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Strange. I'm trying Welcome to Wakespeed on a mac (both firefox and safari), and on my phone and I get nothing. No errors, nothing. Just a stalled progress bar. I wonder of they blocked me?

OK, now that's really weird. I typed in "www.wakespeed.com" when I created the above post, and CF read the page title and used it in the hyperlink. So CF can access the web site, but I can't. Humm, I smell a rat.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:00   #19

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
And what does all that mean? It's a somewhat rhetorical question to highlight the WTF, cave-man nature of programming a Wakespeed.
Eh, not that bad once you get the hang of it. I built my initial configuration using their phone app, then have tweaked the file as I dialed in my configuration. Certainly better than poking at a block of epoxy in my laz with a magnetic screwdriver.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:05   #20

Boat: Regina 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
Eh, not that bad once you get the hang of it. I built my initial configuration using their phone app, then have tweaked the file as I dialed in my configuration. Certainly better than poking at a block of epoxy in my laz with a magnetic screwdriver.
That’s exactly what I did, and I agree that once you get used to it, it’s not that bad.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
The wakespeed site works fine for me, though like you it was a bit thin on the ground here with windows computers. Fortunately, I could borrow my son's. Also a bit weird that my unit came with a really old fashioned USB port, but, again fortunately, I still had one of those cables (which is now earmarked for the regulator) kicking around from a USB hard disk we bought in 2000!?!?!?!.
That’s actually the newer version of the regulator. The USB Type B (big square connector) is far more robust and easy to plug into than the micro-usb they were using previously. I personally really appreciate the change because my ws500 is down in my laz, and I’d rather not go laz diving to plug in. Much easier to reach down and plug in a type B connector.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:12   #22

Quote:
OK, now that's really weird. I typed in "www.wakespeed.com" when I created the above post, and CF read the page title and used it in the hyperlink. So CF can access the web site, but I can't. Humm, I smell a rat.
What did you do to tick them off so they blocked your IP?
Old 05-07-2022, 09:15   #23

Quote:
That’s actually the newer version of the regulator. The USB Type B (big square connector) is far more robust and easy to plug into than the micro-usb they were using previously. I personally really appreciate the change because my ws500 is down in my laz, and I’d rather not go laz diving to plug in. Much easier to reach down and plug in a type B connector.
That’s good to know, thought they might have dug my unit out from the back of the cupboard.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
What did you do to tick them off so they blocked your IP?

I did tell them what I thought, but blocking my access, assuming that's what they did, is childish and only makes matters worse.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:50   #25

Quote:
I did tell them what I thought, but blocking my access, assuming that's what they did, is childish and only makes matters worse.
Pretty sure you’re being overly paranoid. They’d have to know your network address, and care enough to block things which isn’t trivial.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:11   #26

Quote:
Agreed, if that is what is going on then it is highly unprofessional.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:41   #27

Quote:
Pretty sure you’re being overly paranoid. They’d have to know your network address, and care enough to block things which isn’t trivial.

I hope so. I'll know more once I try to access from a different ISP. But that won't be for a while. All I have is satellite (the old kind) for the time being.
Old 05-07-2022, 15:10   #28

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

My guess is that your browser is hanging up on something. This is increasingly common for me. Sometimes it is one of my security settings or ad blockers, sometimes I never find it. My go-to solution is a Private Window, where I have not allowed ad blockers. I usually switch to Firefox for this but sometimes my default browser's Private Window works. On one recent occasion I had to switch to the Chromium browser. IIUC some of this is done to force you to watch the ads and/or be tracked.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 17:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
My guess is that your browser is hanging up on something. This is increasingly common for me. Sometimes it is one of my security settings or ad blockers, sometimes I never find it. My go-to solution is a Private Window, where I have not allowed ad blockers. I usually switch to Firefox for this but sometimes my default browser's Private Window works. On one recent occasion I had to switch to the Chromium browser. IIUC some of this is done to force you to watch the ads and/or be tracked.

Greg

Thanks for the suggestions. So far I have tried:

- Firefox on MacOS
- Safari on MacOS
- Chrome on MacOS
- two different computers
- an iPhone
- Clearing all cookies
- private browsing
- Turning off Adblocker.
- Firefox on Windows

I get the same results (or lack thereof) on all of them. I can ping Welcome to Wakespeed, but can't access via HTTP.

Perhaps it's my ISP who's being blocked. That's the only other common denominator other than Welcome to Wakespeed
Old 05-07-2022, 17:26   #30

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. So far I have tried:

- Firefox on MacOS
- Safari on MacOS
- Chrome on MacOS
- two different computers
- an iPhone
- Clearing all cookies
- private browsing
- Turning off Adblocker.
- Firefox on Windows

I get the same results (or lack thereof) on all of them. I can ping Welcome to Wakespeed, but can't access via HTTP.

Perhaps it's my ISP who's being blocked. That's the only other common denominator other than Welcome to Wakespeed

Do you have access to a VPN service? If so, try that.

Something may have triggered their firewall on a block of IPs that includes your ISP.

Also, have you tried on your phone with your wifi disabled?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote