Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 16:42   #31

Re: Walkie Talkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've started another thread on "on-board stations." Apparently there are eight UHF channels set aside for this sort of use, that are available internationally at least to some degree.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-214551.html
Actual if you look there are only 4 UHF channels. You need to read FCCees, but there are 4 channels. 4 input freq and 4 output freq (or simplex freq). The design is to allow you to have a repeater on a ship. Not very practical or cost effective on a personal vessel, but at least the 4 UHF channels could be used.
Old 26-02-2019, 17:33   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgary View Post
Actual if you look there are only 4 UHF channels. You need to read FCCees, but there are 4 channels. 4 input freq and 4 output freq (or simplex freq). The design is to allow you to have a repeater on a ship. Not very practical or cost effective on a personal vessel, but at least the 4 UHF channels could be used.
"or simplex freq" means they may be used as simplex channels as well so you get 8 channels for simplex operation and 4 channels for repeated/duplex
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 17:45   #33

Boat: Amel 50

In my opinion, hands off two way communication is the way to go. So, I decided to go with the Eartec UL2S. I hope they work... I am preparing for Med mooring...

From this thread, I learned that another option would be the Sena SPH10. They are priced about the same as the Eartec, as you need to buy two of them. I have Sena for my bike and I am not crazy about it. I hope the Eartec is better.

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 19:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
BTW, aboard most ships they use UHF (instead of VHF) handhelds for on-board communications
This is correct, we use UHF for on board operations, VHF is for marine ops only, same same for rigs, offshore platforms, construction vessels etc.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 19:40   #35

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

We used the older cruisingsolutions headset extensively for 2 years and really liked them. They are now selling the sena version and we'll be picking them up as our current ones have died. The Bluetooth should improve the audio.

https://www.cruisingsolutions.com/co.../my-team-talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
In my opinion, hands off two way communication is the way to go. So, I decided to go with the Eartec UL2S. I hope they work... I am preparing for Med mooring...

From this thread, I learned that another option would be the Sena SPH10. They are priced about the same as the Eartec, as you need to buy two of them. I have Sena for my bike and I am not crazy about it. I hope the Eartec is better.

geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 04:32   #36

Boat: Oyster 49

We have been using these motorcycle/referee headsets for the past 2 years. Reliable, clear and affordable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EJEAS-Profe...+referee&psc=1
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:38   #37
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

for the US https://www.amazon.com/EJEAS-Profess.../dp/B071S32RW7
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 08:26   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In case you can't stand wind noise etc.: in the cavalry we used throat microphones... they will probably be available for any of the solutions from this thread. They eliminate all sounds other than the vibrations on your throat when you talk
Old 27-02-2019, 12:54   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Armored Cav?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 04:43   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Armored Cav?
Yes, I served in 11 tank battalion of the Royal Dutch Army... Leopard tanks
Old 28-02-2019, 05:00   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sorry for the thread drift, but Leopard II’s had apparently a very good gun.
The Germans regularly outshot the US tanks in competition nearly every year and unless I’m mistaken the Leopard II’s gun was so impressive that the US M1 Abrams tank was switched over to it, I assume it’s built under a license?
Leopard was / is a very impressive tank.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:22   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but Leopard II’s had apparently a very good gun.
The Germans regularly outshot the US tanks in competition nearly every year and unless I’m mistaken the Leopard II’s gun was so impressive that the US M1 Abrams tank was switched over to it, I assume it’s built under a license?
Leopard was / is a very impressive tank.
I was with a Leopard 1-improved battalion which had the older gun like the Abrams. The new guns are much more powerful (the Russians later got armor that could defeat the old guns) but they use fin stabilized munitions (smooth bore), while the old guns still had rifling. During tournaments we would win every time because rifling was more accurate
Old 28-02-2019, 10:01   #43

I have been doing quite some research on all the solutions that were proposed on this thread so far. This is my take so far.

I see that the Eartec have generally great reviews, but there are some concerns on the fact that they easily come off.

The Sena have also good reviews in terms of audio quality, but a lot of reviews say that they break very easily (the plastic seem to have a weak spot).

Has anybody here had issues with them breaking?

The Bao Feng seem to be an amazing value, and have a very devoted following, but they need much more tinkering than the other solutions.

I am still on the fence on whether it makes sense to invest a few hundred dollars on the Eartec or Sena for this, but if they indeed could solve our problem, they may be worth it. What really makes me hesitate are those reviews on them breaking or coming off, it would be very disappointing spending that much money for nothing...

The Bao Feng are very inexpensive, so it would not cost much to get them, it is more an issue of investing a considerable chunk of time on them, I am sure to really make them work flawlessly in our application would take some tries and adjustments...

There are several other solutions and brands that have very good reviews and will likely work, including the Motorolas, but I think the Bao Feng may have an unbeatable value, if one decides to go that way, and the Eartec/Sena seem to have an edge if one decides to go for the high end.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:15   #44
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
The Bao Feng are very inexpensive, so it would not cost much to get them, it is more an issue of investing a considerable chunk of time on them, I am sure to really make them work flawlessly in our application would take some tries and adjustments...
Bao Feng are handy if you're spending a lot of time on the hook as well, good the leave on all the time, draws next to no power - I have a uv5r with dual band set to listen on 16/72 or whatever the local chat channel is. More fiddling though, the stock squelch setup isn't great and you need a cable & some software to change that.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:37   #45

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post

I see that the Eartec have generally great reviews, but there are some concerns on the fact that they easily come off.
What really makes me hesitate are those reviews on them breaking or coming off, it would be very disappointing spending that much money for nothing...

We don't use them on our latest boat but previously we had good results with an older Eartec system like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eartec-Simultalk-24g-Full-Duplex-Wireless-Communication/401716404907?epid=84984652&hash=item5d8829e2ab:g:4 FUAAOSwceZcdIY3:rk:2f:0

The lightweight headset is attached by a cable to a small duplex radio. If the headset comes off, the cable holds it. You do have to deal with the radio (we held it in a belly pouch) and the cable (run up the shirt) but it all worked well.

There's also a lower-frequency model that I have never used, which is more often available used. They don't sell these types new anymore. The new ones that are similar seem to be only simplex.
SundayMorning is offline   Reply With Quote