Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 19:35   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Webcam in the Mast

ggray, I have one of the other trailer hitch cameras. I haven't noticed if it was a mirror image or not. I'll check it tomorrow and let you know. It does give a nice clear image and seems to have plenty of range to broadcast the image from a masthead to cockpit.
Old 31-07-2011, 20:00   #17

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

The one in your link is advertised as being able to be displayed either way. Nice.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 00:25   #18

Boat: Reinke, 15m, Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The Reinke 15m has a 21 meter (69 ft) mast from data from: Reinke 15 M used boat for sale. The Yacht Market online boat sales and charters.
- - You give the bridge at 23 meters (75-1/2 ft) so you should have 2 meters (6-1/2 ft) clearance - so what is the problem?
- - Only if the tidal range in that part of the river exceeds 2 meters should you have a problem?
- - Mounting equipment such as a webcam that is designed for interior use will normally result in the rapid failure of the equipment due to rain or salt air contamination.
- - If you are planning on mounting the webcam on top of the mast then you should have no problems while you are up at the top of the mast measuring the exact height of the mast above the water.
You obviously have put some time in this. Well, I personally would NEVER use data from adds like that. And next to that, you don't have to tell me how high my mast is or how to measure it... I did my homework. my mast is 19.8 meters long and my deck height is 2.2. That makes 22 meters not counting the expensive instruments on the mast top. Btw, ever heard of rising sea water levels ?

My point is: whatever data you have re. bridge clearance it would be nice to see from up there if it's safe to proceed. And for goodness sake, we are talking about a webcam that will cost me 29 euro's... don't get so uptight.
svpresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 00:37   #19

Quote:
I suspect that anybody asking or suggesting these "hi-tech / laser / sextant" devices on a cruising boat have never done any serious long term cruising. It is all so much overkill, impractical and failure prone that such things would never be used or contemplated in real life by an actual cruiser.
- - You have charts for data on bridges, etc. You have measured your mast to water line distance. You have binoculars to check out any sign boards on the bridges. You have the common sense to approach any doubtful bridges at dead slow and are prepared to reverse back if necessary.
- - That is all that is necessary and cruisers have been getting under bridges just fine using common sense and some caution.
You'd better be careful. You sound like you're prone for a heart condition.
I am a long term cruiser. I 've been around. And I've just ordered a wireless webcam. Even with an unstable picture I fully expect I will be able to see if it's safe to proceed. And I will have only invested 29 euro's. Big deal.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:43   #20

Ask them to open the bridge!
micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:23   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
I suspect that anybody asking or suggesting these "hi-tech / laser / sextant" devices on a cruising boat have never done any serious long term cruising. It is all so much overkill, impractical and failure prone that such things would never be used or contemplated in real life by an actual cruiser.
- - You have charts for data on bridges, etc. You have measured your mast to water line distance. You have binoculars to check out any sign boards on the bridges. You have the common sense to approach any doubtful bridges at dead slow and are prepared to reverse back if necessary.
- - That is all that is necessary and cruisers have been getting under bridges just fine using common sense and some caution.
+1
Old 05-08-2011, 06:18   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpresent View Post
You'd better be careful. You sound like you're prone for a heart condition.
I am a long term cruiser. I 've been around. And I've just ordered a wireless webcam. Even with an unstable picture I fully expect I will be able to see if it's safe to proceed. And I will have only invested 29 euro's. Big deal.
Don't get your britches in a bundle and engage in personal attacks. You asked for advice on a forum renowned for the entire spectrum of responses. If you cannot take the heat go somewhere else.
- - As to your points, many boat owners have never actually measured their "air clearance" and do not know what it is. That is very valuable information to know especially in circumstances that you supposed.
- - High tech equipment is fun to play with, but - IMHO - rarely lasts long in the sea water environment and more rarely ever stays in "calibration." If you wanted to play with the stuff why ask others for their opinions? Just do it.
- - Relying on such things as webcams which are very low res, instead of just approaching with caution with a viable escape option is again - IMHO (which is always what posters are giving) - extremely risky. But it is your boat and mast, so why ask and/or listen to the advice of others.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:03   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Look. Let's not anyone engage in personal attacks. You're both welcome to your opinions and also welcome to express them in a respectful manner.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Look. Let's not anyone engage in personal attacks. You're both welcome to your opinions and also welcome to express them in a respectful manner.
I rest my case.

Blue skies!
Len.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:39   #25

Old 05-08-2011, 13:21   #26

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The traditional approaches, measuring, reading charts, etc.. are well and fine, but not foolproof as occasional boat/bridge interactions can attest.

Using a sextant to calculate bridge height, (simple trig), or taking advantage of modern technology doesn't cause any harm

I personally like the laser pointer approach. They are cheap, and can be completely sealed in epoxy just like the led lights. It would be very simple to wire a remote switch for problem situations. A red dot can be seen in direct sunlight. It could be mounted slightly up at an angle so you see the dot on the underside of the bridge as you approach, and if it doesnt disappear by the time you approach within a couple of boatlengths, you know to abort in time to turn around.

I have used the pointers to solve a variety of problems.

1. Like matching deck beams to the house. The old way carefully measure from the ground, using a bubble level measure slope, then measure from new point to the mounting location, (hope you measured everything correctly). The new way, drill mounting hole on post, insert laser pointer, go to dot on house and drill mounting bracket there, perfectly level with no guesswork.

2. Build ledge around pool, old way hire a surveyer to measure and calculate height of terrain to projected water level. New way rent laser level, and draw a line with felt marker over the red line from level. build concrete to felt marker line. finished and perfectly at 6 inches from water line no guesswork.

People use cameras to back up were a rear view mirror is unavailable, like a truck or SUV. I use one for nightvision, using one for mastvision is a novel idea, I say give it a go ad report back how well it worked.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 13:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I personally like the laser pointer approach.
Thanks. I was under the impression they were quite expensive. Well in Europe almost everything is way more expensive than in the USA. But I'll do some research. Good idea to point them slightly upwards. You should see the dot come down when closing in on the bridge and it should leave the front structure some time before you're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
People use cameras to back up were a rear view mirror is unavailable, like a truck or SUV. I use one for nightvision, using one for mastvision is a novel idea, I say give it a go ad report back how well it worked.
Will do. In the mean time I'm thinking to put it to other use (security-area) as well.

Cheers!
Len.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:13   #28

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

IN the US now they are way cheaper than webcams. Originally they were $50 US to $100 us, I paid $20 for mine, Now I see chinese imports every where, even gas stations for < $5, or even $2 for pocket sized on keychains. Web cams, (or security cams), are still in the $30 - $50 range
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast