Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2024, 09:54   #31

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel
Re: What do you use your SSB for?

All of the above are true and usefull. You should be aware that transmitting on the Icon on either marine or Ham ssb bands requires licensing. Look online these requirements.
If they look doable and interesting then you may have one foot in the 'old school'. If thats the case the Ham license prep will answer most of your hookup questions.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 10:05   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

OP - look for a cable running from the auto tuner to a stay (typically a back stay).
- A transmitting SSB eats power (20 amps @12 V), and there’s a measurable parasitic loss if you leave the breaker on with power off at the radio, as a small heater keeps the crystal warm…. but once the unit is installed, there’s no fees for owning/operating, and no remote service provider to turn off your access due to an account hiccup. It’s a great back up for satellite communication systems.

I had SSB and an InReach Go on our circumnavigation - everything weather was done via the InReach; the SSB pactor was too slow and unreliable in Indian and southern Atlantic Ocean.
But nets at sundown (when reception was typically decent) with boat buddies on the same route were a daily social highlight. 2019, and many passagemakers still carried SSB.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 10:11   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Ham licence requires written exam - Marine SSB is simply added to your vhf radio licence, in Canada at least a very minor fee renewed every 5 (?) years
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:10   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Crossing the Pacific to Canada aboard a different vessel the owner used his SSB to curse twice a day. If the weather report said the conditions were currently different than the conditions we observed in our location...he would curse the bureau for not knowing the weather accurately. If the weather report said winds were more favorable a little ways away, he would curse himself for not taking a slightly different route.

When I purchased my vessel and used it while crossing the Pacific, I raised someone who said they couldn't talk to me because I didn't have a radio license. I asked him how am I supposed to get a radio license in the middle of the Pacific ocean. He said goodbye.

When I hauled out in Thailand. I needed my depth sounder checked out. The tech came aboard while I was out and removed my SSB instead. After much hassle I got them to put it back, and of course it didn't work anymore. All efforts to have someone else repair it failed. Thus ended my experience with an SSB.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:20   #35

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

When I purchased my vessel and used it while crossing the Pacific, I raised someone who said they couldn't talk to me because I didn't have a radio license. I asked him how am I supposed to get a radio license in the middle of the Pacific ocean. He said goodbye.
Sounds more like poor planning.

How long before you decided to set out across the Pacific during which you did NOT get the license?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:25   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Sounds more like poor planning.

How long before you decided to set out across the Pacific during which you did NOT get the license?
I purchased my vessel in the Marshall Islands after I sailed into port aboard a different one. That other vessel didn't have an SSB. I must admit I didn't check how to get a radio license and doubt I could have obtained one there. Actually, come to think about it I didn't even know one was required.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:41   #37

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

On the east coast of the US there are still some good nets that I used to enjoy. Now that we have crossed to Europe, the SSB gets little use. I’m afraid it’s days are mostly over, except for Hams.
jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 12:16   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Far more boats are equipped with functioning Starlink systems than SSBs.
This is certainly not true in our neck of the woods (Australian eastern portion). Still a few active cruisers with HF radio, not any of my acquaintance with Starlink on board.

Jim
Old 12-01-2024, 12:28   #39

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is certainly not true in our neck of the woods (Australian eastern portion). Still a few active cruisers with HF radio, not any of my acquaintance with Starlink on board.

Jim

Same for us here in British Columbia. And there are at least 2 active HAM nets in BC and Alaska used regularly by mariners.

Nevertheless, I expect we'll see more and more Starlink here. (Likely not on our boat.... But we also have a Zoleo.)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 12:34   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Ham licence requires written exam - Marine SSB is simply added to your vhf radio licence, in Canada at least a very minor fee renewed every 5 (?) years

For Canadian vessels, radio "station" lic is a yearly fee (currently ~C$37/yr). Includes VHF and marine HF SSB frequencies. (NOT required if within Canada.)
Old 12-01-2024, 16:42   #41

Just hook up a long wire antenna, to the tuner. A long wire doesn't have to be any specific length or type of wire, IF you are just receiving. Yes, it will work much better, if the tuner can tune it. If you want to transmit, then you need some way of tuning the wire to the frequency used, thus the tuner. Unless of course, you cut the wire to a specific length, for a particular configuration. I wouldn't try 24 gauge wire for transmitting, but for listening, you probably won't notice. If you want to transmit, there are a variety of different antenna arrangements, that would work. Many of them homemade. A backstay is nice, because it is out of the way! Insulated wire is important, its cheap, common, and especially because putting power into it, could zap you. Also, put some lightning protection on the antenna. Even a spark gap is better than nothing. Lightning can easily fry everything electrical.

SSB Marine Radio has it's uses, but will probably not be your daily driver. There are specific monitored frequencies for distress, if want to talk directly to the Coast Guard, basically any Coast Guard worldwide. Also, if you want to send an automated Mayday and your radio has DSC, there will be a button for that. Just the same as your VHF. This will set off the required SSB radios, on the larger ships and will hopefully get forwarded automatically, to the local countries Coast Guard. Most large commercial ships MUST monitor 2182khz by law, if flagged in most countries. But, they will probably never hear you, unless you send out a DSC mayday. Their receiver always listens for that type of signal and it will alert the crew, on the bridge. Check out the GMDSS and DSC on these Wikipedia links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Safety_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_selective_calling

Now another use is just talking to boats in the general area (say 20 to 200 miles) or worldwide on the mid to higher frequencies. As noted, someone may be just out of VHF range, so call them on the 2 khz band.

Another use, what if you want to find boats in the general area, to discuss the sea state, then it's easier to limit your search, by using a lower marine band, say 2 khz. I know I keep mentioning 2 khz, but that's the band you would use, when you are say 20 to 200 miles, away from someone.

So will you need it, probably not. Can it help save your life, yes. Does it have entertainment value, definitely. Will it entertain you, maybe. Is it a backup if your VHF goes out and SHTF, yes. But, who is going to have only one 25 watt VHF radio onboard, hopefully few. While, I'm at it, do you have a spare VHF antenna? I've inspected a lot of VHF marine radios and found some bad antennas. The owner didn't know it was bad, until I failed them.

At the danger of overstating it. There are much easier ways, to talk to people. But, if you want to get the attention of strangers, out of VHF range, I would keep it.
marti972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 22:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti972 View Post

SSB Marine Radio has it's uses, but will probably not be your daily driver. There are specific monitored frequencies for distress, if want to talk directly to the Coast Guard, basically any Coast Guard worldwide.
This is just NOT TRUE.

The USCG stopped almost all monitoring of voice HF radio just about exactly one year ago because they had not received a SINGLE voice single distress call in the last SEVEN YEARS. Not exactly the go-to distress calling system anymore. So if you want to talk to the USCG from the middle of the ocean, your SSB is NOT going to be of any help.

It is true that they continue to monitor DSC distress calls, but the OP has a 710, which is not DSC capable.

If you are counting on your SSB to call for help, you might be better off to make sure your EBIRB battery is up to date. It is more reliable, and you can take it with you in the liferaft.

So if you put out a voice distress call on HF frequencies you just might hear... crickets in response.

Reference: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ss-frequencies
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 23:36   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

It fills the hole in my comm,s panel !
Old 13-01-2024, 08:05   #44

So, how do I edit that out of my post? I don't want anyone, getting out of date information.
marti972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 08:53   #45

OP appears not to be in the USA. Other countries operate differently from USCG...

Canadian Coast Guard continues to listen/respond to MF SSB (2182 kHz), and regular weather forecasts are broadcast on MF for some areas (we used these while on west coast of Haida Gwaii)

https://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/publicatio...part4-eng.html

https://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/publicatio...part2-eng.html

A search finds other countries still using MF/HF SSB
e.g., Australia

Schedules and Frequencies for HF Marine Radio Voice Services

Tags
ssb