Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2024, 08:59   #46

Boat: AMEL Sharki 41'
Re: What do you use your SSB for?

On our recent two month cruise to the Bahamas, we used our SSB to send and receive e-mail with a pactor modem just for practice as we were often able to send it with our cell phone. As we moved south from the Abacos and Eleuthera, we had less phone reception and relied on the pactor. We also used the SSB for weather fax charts which became important as we moved out of internet range.

I still find the SSB useful for being involved with nets. With other forms of communication one can only be in contact with people on boats that you know. With a net, you can be in contact with other boats in the area, often boats that you don't know. You can get support in an emergency, meet new people and get local area information. We are also HAMs and have found the HAM nets very useful for help in clearing in (the HAM net in Australia got us permission from customs to anchor out in an unapproved area when we arrived in the middle of the night as we were exhausted) and also helped with directing us to a local company that repaired some equipment. We have used the SSB in the past to get local weather reports from both HAM and marine radio stations. I know that is available in the Bahamas now. Not sure how wide spread that is in other areas anymore. The US weather authorities still broadcast voice weather reports for the US coastal areas and offshore areas multiple times a day on SSB. These reports are not raw data like many other available weather reports, but carefully analyzed data by experts , including ship reports.

I always like to have a belt and suspenders. Long range radio might be the communications of last resort in an emergency.

An SSB installation is expensive, so I could understand someone choosing to spend that money on other equipment. But if you purchase a boat with one already installed, learn how to use it and don't get rid of it. Our SSB (an ICOM M-700pro) was purchased in 1999 and still works great.

On all our ocean crossings on our circumnavigation the SSB and HAM nets were very useful. We returned some time ago so that may not be the case now. I know that SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) has an SSB net now for those making an Atlantic crossing during the appropriate time of the year, members of SSCA or not, and I have checked into that net while sailing up and down the U.S. east coast just to check in and confirm my equipment and they are glad to do it. There are other land based nets serving the boating community that still operate every day.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 18:52   #47

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
This is just NOT TRUE.

The USCG stopped almost all monitoring of voice HF radio just about exactly one year ago because they had not received a SINGLE voice single distress call in the last SEVEN YEARS. Not exactly the go-to distress calling system anymore. So if you want to talk to the USCG from the middle of the ocean, your SSB is NOT going to be of any help.

It is true that they continue to monitor DSC distress calls, but the OP has a 710, which is not DSC capable.

If you are counting on your SSB to call for help, you might be better off to make sure your EBIRB battery is up to date. It is more reliable, and you can take it with you in the liferaft.

So if you put out a voice distress call on HF frequencies you just might hear... crickets in response.

Reference: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ss-frequencies
Thanks Harmonie. As I've been reading this thread, I've been thinking that was the case. But I wasn't sure, so didn't chime in. But you've both corrected the misinformation, and confirmed my recollection.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 14:11   #48

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Working on communication methods at sea (mid Atantic, not close to shore). Do the starlink users have real experience mid-ocean or just coastal? Can't seem to find that detail through search.

How are the nets for HF (SSB)? Are there enough listening anymore?

I'll have Inreach and be up on AIS (which has seemed to only have my boat show up when coastal). Any other methods I should consider/add?
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 14:33   #49

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Re: starlink offshore. Nearly uninterrupted svc fall 2022; Maine to Bermuda and Bermuda to FL. Then 2023 Bahamas north to southern tip also excellent.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 14:40   #50

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Using the newer, larger antenna.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 15:21   #51

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs41escapade View Post
Working on communication methods at sea (mid Atantic, not close to shore). Do the starlink users have real experience mid-ocean or just coastal? Can't seem to find that detail through search.

How are the nets for HF (SSB)? Are there enough listening anymore?

I'll have Inreach and be up on AIS (which has seemed to only have my boat show up when coastal). Any other methods I should consider/add?
Yes, Starlink works worldwide, everywhere. Join the Starlink groups on Facebook for recent accounts. AIS is ship to ship. It will work mid ocean for other ships to see you. But Internet sites won't see you because their receivers are on land. (Unless you have Class A that can be received via Satellite)
Old 25-01-2024, 17:15   #52

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Good info. Thanks.

AIS Class B. Makes sense now.

There are a few Class A transponders under 2 boat bucks. Maybe later.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 18:13   #53

Keeping my 802...all the cool boats do. I rely on Starlink now though...I can watch sailing videos on tv while offshore...can't beat that.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 22:49   #54

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Yes, Starlink works worldwide, everywhere. Join the Starlink groups on Facebook for recent accounts. AIS is ship to ship. It will work mid ocean for other ships to see you. But Internet sites won't see you because their receivers are on land. (Unless you have Class A that can be received via Satellite)
Class B AIS signals are received by satellite (just take a look at Marine Traffic).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 22:57   #55

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Class B AIS signals are received by satellite (just take a look at Marine Traffic).
Not reliably. Having sailed 35,000 ocean miles with my family following me on Marine Traffic. I would pop up now and again, but they couldn't follow me unless I was coastal. Look at the islands in the South Pacific. There are hundreds of Class B vessels there. Not the few dozen that show up on Marine Traffic.

Class B+ SOTDMA is probably better than Class B, but I can't speak from experience on that.
Old 25-01-2024, 23:12   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Yep, I've followed various friends boats across the Atlantic who have had not the greatest class B transmit set ups. Would get a position maybe once a day minimum so plenty to keep an eye offshore. You get a week free to view one vessel satellite feed on marine traffic.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb