Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 07:06   #16

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: What does your Class B AIS transponder do for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Our antenna is on the pushpit with a long coax capable of reaching the fixed VFH in emergency. We received targets at 7 - 10 miles normally sailing in the busy waters of the English Channel.

Our antenna is on the arch, close to 10' above water. We routinely see commercial traffic at 10+ miles, and harbor control authorities can see us about 10-15 miles out. While a masthead antenna may go further, information outside of 10 miles is more a curiosity than anything useful/actionable.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:20   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49

At sea, radar with target tracking can also be used at distances where ais may not reach. Often, i’d track targets and cpa before the ais signal became available.
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:24   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32 View Post
The fact that it a digital transmission escaped me. Yes, I can see how this could significantly affect range. And, as has been implied, if they're calling you by name your transponder is doing a pretty good job. I guess I'm buying a transponder.
Very good decision.

Happy safer sailing.
capnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:42   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423

If you are financially constrained you might want to think about the Socotrans RS 109M fishing net transmitter. It transmits at 5w, can be taken in your liferaft and is pretty cheap.
That in combination witha Raspberry Pi receiver is the ultimate cheapskate solution.

ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:47   #20

Thumbs up Re: What does your Class B AIS transponder do for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
We have seen freighters divert for us at 10+ miles. Not to mention many, many cases where improved SA at shorter ranges was a benefit.
It's a no brainer IMO.
After encountering a big storm whilst exiting the med at night from Gibraltar and having to swannee about reducing sail etc. I was very pleased that a large cargo ship astern noticed our erratic behavior, radioed us to see if we were Ok and offered to stay behind to assist if required. As our nav lights had also gone, I was so pleased we had AIS.
As the quote above says, a NO brainer

By the way, we didn't need any help and fixed the nav lights the next day and happily continued across the pond.
Richbayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:19   #21

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Not a lot in the undeveloped third world countries. Many vessels that are supposed to have them, simply can't afford them. Don't rely on them, especially in known drug running or smuggling corridors or waters known to have piracy issues.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:20   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

I think AIS should be a requirement for all boats over 25feet.

It’s way more useful than radar and as other have said great be if it’s for course correction and collision avoidance

Got caught out in a storm of Cape Canaveral and could not see the front of the boat with the rain (40foot boat) radar was not seeing anything but AIS picked up 3 cruise ships heading for me less than mile out.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:24   #23

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post

It’s way more useful than radar and as other have said great be if it’s for course correction and collision avoidance

Got caught out in a storm of Cape Canaveral and could not see the front of the boat with the rain (40foot boat) radar was not seeing anything but AIS picked up 3 cruise ships heading for me less than mile out.

In my mind, AIS and radar go together nicely, but neither can replace the other. Depending on the situation, each one can potentially give you information the other one can't.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:49   #24

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Part of the equation is your aversion to collisions.

We are not blue water cruisers and the cruising we do is inshore rivers, lakes and canals we often encounter tows pushing numerous barges.

Radar can't see that only AIS can.

AIS is our standard to communicate with the tug captains for passing instructions and that makes for a more pleasant cruising day. Everyone is on the same page.

I went from a Class A to a Class B (we have Garmin, so it was a move from a 600 to an 800 unit). Yes, they are expensive but so is my boat.

We also have the AIS info displayed on our 8616xsv which puts everything into perspective.

A no brainer for us and wouldn't leave port without it.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post

Are to referring to making AIS receiver or AIR transponder a requirement? You could sell me on making a receiver a requirement (in some cases) - they're a very handy piece of kit and yet another tool to aid in safer navigation decisions. But I disagree with making a transponder a requirement.

I'm struggling right now with whether or not I should put a transceiver on our boat, and while I'm leaning towards yes, there are caveats. Unfortunately some enforcement agencies are choosing to use AIS information as a tool in their box, but are doing so in punitive ways. And sadly the trend for usage of this type is growing. This can translate anywhere from a "get off my lawn!" radio message to finding notice in the mail that you owe a large fine for accidentally having been somewhere someone with a big brother mentality
thought you should not have been, as defined by your AIS info. That reason, coupled with the fact that I go on my boat to get away and simply don't always want folks knowing where I am, continues to add fodder to the "no AIS transceiver on my boat" decision.

BUT.... most of my boating is in inside waters, much of it where there is no large commercial traffic at all. And any interaction I do have with larger commercial traffic is very (geographically) forecastable. In situations and locations where this interaction is probable to occur, I would definitely like to have my presence known to them. And if/when I'm off-shore, having an active transceiver is a no-brainer.

As of now I'm leaning towards installing a transceiver, but if/when I do, associated to the install will be a big, easy to reach on/off switch for my AIS broadcast - only ever to be turned on when I deem it advantageous to me, and not necessarily to others...
r.stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:20   #26

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.stokes View Post

Unfortunately some enforcement agencies are choosing to use AIS information as a tool in their box, but are doing so in punitive ways. And sadly the trend for usage of this type is growing. This can translate anywhere from a "get off my lawn!" radio message to finding notice in the mail that you owe a large fine for accidentally having been somewhere someone with a big brother mentality
I hadn't heard of this.

Are there any verified instances or is this just a fear?
Old 06-01-2023, 10:23   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I hadn't heard of this.

Here in British Columbia, I can see some reasonable/appropriate uses of AIS by authorities. For example, a boat inside an exclusion zone for protection of Orcas.

Although in this case I'd bet "authorities" would first use AIS info simply to contact and warn away rather any enforcement (similar to how Whiskey Golf naval zone works in Georgia Strait).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:48   #28

Boat: Morgan 382

I have been contacted by the USCG on a few occasions because of a report of a vessel in distress in my vicinity and they wanted to know if i saw anything. That is certainly an appropriate use.

As for other enforcement, i can see authorities hailing a vessel to inform them of a transgression and requesting they move. But that's it.

They have radar. Even without AIS, they can nab you if they are interested. AIS gives them an opportunity to hail you and resolve the issue without that.

Imho, there is not a single valid reason against AIS. Maybe where you are doesn't warrant it. That's fine. But any argument against it is nonsense.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I hadn't heard of this.

https://loosecannon.substack.com/p/a...y-said-now-ais
r.stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:55   #30

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Here in British Columbia, I can see some reasonable/appropriate uses of AIS by authorities. For example, a boat inside an exclusion zone for protection of Orcas.

Although in this case I'd bet "authorities" would first use AIS info simply to contact and warn away rather any enforcement (similar to how Whiskey Golf naval zone works in Georgia Strait).
That makes sense but I'm sceptical about any claims of fines coming in the mail. It sounds more like irrational fear of "big brother".

Tags
ais