Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 09:24   #46

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: what free standing SSB antenna for catamaran?

12359 is pretty bad up here at the moment. 12356 and down?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old 21-07-2021, 09:26   #47

Boat: Lagoon 380

Ok. B right there. Coquina is my boat name
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 09:28   #48

Thanks, standing by on 12356 and down. GRIT is our boat's name.
Old 21-07-2021, 09:30   #49

Boat: Lagoon 380

350 isclear
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 09:33   #50

Trying...
Old 21-07-2021, 09:35   #51

12350, with KISS and rigging is a bust. Nothing heard.
Old 21-07-2021, 09:38   #52

Will change ground now.

Changed to through hulls. Will try again on 12350.
Old 21-07-2021, 10:24   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Have you tried tying both ground systems(counter poise) together..?
I have, with no luck.

It's my understanding that they represent two different types of counter poise and are not recommended to be joined. In any case, I did try, with no luck.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-07-2021, 10:32   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I'll try Panama in August, sounds good to me.

Just did Sailmail to Panama last night, using the un-insulated shroud (and, I suppose, the whole rig). Also had luck with Trinidad, and Texas. I seemed to have better luck with the KISS than the two through hulls.

It'll be nice to do back to back tests, using KISS, or Through hulls; and my longwire, or the uninsulated rig.

Cheers.

Paul.
Trinidad is a pretty good stretch (your profile shows N Atlantic).

You could try and reach Panama Connection net, but Im not sure how active they are in rainy season.

I assume you already know about DockSide's channel list? (below)

https://www.docksideradio.com/east_coast.htm
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 10:49   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
I have, with no luck.

It's my understanding that they represent two different types of counter poise and are not recommended to be joined. In any case, I did try, with no luck.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers.
Paul.
Those where my thoughts as well..just wanted to have someone to confirm it..
Tnx
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 10:52   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Trinidad is a pretty good stretch (your profile shows N Atlantic).

You could try and reach Panama Connection net, but Im not sure how active they are in rainy season.

I assume you already know about DockSide's channel list? (below)

https://www.docksideradio.com/east_coast.htm
Yes, I have that list too. But thank you.

Paul.
Old 21-07-2021, 13:43   #57

Belize sailor. We are presently in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Trinidad was a 2100 mile contact, though at just the right time, and using Pactor. I doubt I could have carried a conversation at that time, on that frequency.

I also checked email through contact with Corpus Christie Texas, and Panama.

Today, I had no luck contacting Team Karst in Florida, on 12 megs and 8 megs. Though I couldn't hear him either, so maybe the propagation was just bad.

I don't have the software to enable speech compression yet, which may help improve my success rate. I'll find someone in the USA to do that, when we're passing through this fall.

I've run an experimental antenna up the mast today. 100 ft of 10ga wire, going from just ahead of the upper shroud chainplate on one hull, up to the jib halyard exit, and down the other side to the other hull.

I'll switch the grounds back and forth and try talking to the DooDah net tonight, or tomorrow if I'm running late..

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-07-2021, 14:15   #58

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Belize sailor. We are presently in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Trinidad was a 2100 mile contact, though at just the right time, and using Pactor. I doubt I could have carried a conversation at that time, on that frequency.

I also checked email through contact with Corpus Christie Texas, and Panama.

Today, I had no luck contacting Team Karst in Florida, on 12 megs and 8 megs. Though I couldn't hear him either, so maybe the propagation was just bad.

I don't have the software to enable speech compression yet, which may help improve my success rate. I'll find someone in the USA to do that, when we're passing through this fall.

I've run an experimental antenna up the mast today. 100 ft of 10ga wire, going from just ahead of the upper shroud chainplate on one hull, up to the jib halyard exit, and down the other side to the other hull.

I'll switch the grounds back and forth and try talking to the DooDah net tonight, or tomorrow if I'm running late..

Cheers.
Paul.
That reads like pretty good performance to me. Are you at anchor or in a marina? (can make a big difference).

A friend of mine runs the SailMail stations in Panama. At 4,500' feet in the town of Volcan.

Did you notice error statistics during your pactor session? That could be a good practical measure or signal quality.

It would be interesting to compare performance vs the free standing antenna. Maybe you could set it up temporarily so that you could easily switch the leads to do a comparison with the same time/station.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 14:25   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm a little late on this thread, but on my first boat....a ketch....I rigged a pvc pipe on the corner of the stern rail, with the top around 8' of the deck. right under the deck was the autotuner. from there I ran a coated galvanized steel cable up thru' the pvc pipe to the top of the mizzen, keeping it about 12" shy of the mast, ended it with an insulator and a rope connection to a tang on top of the mizzen. The length of the wire was probably around 30'. The boat had a steel hull, so that was my ground.
It worked like a charm and I had no problems connecting to anyone anywhere.

In later years, I got newer boats, but always replicated, more or less, my original contraption.....pvc pipe and sleeved galvanized wire. As before, never had an issue either sending or receiving. As my later boats were fiberglass, they were fitted with bronze grounding plates.

As the antenna wire was angled a bit, the direction my boat was pointed at, did seem to make a small difference in signal quality, but so you'd notice.

Ham clubs are everywhere. I suggest you find a local one and join. Ham enthusiasts will be more than happy to help you out in any way they can.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 15:43   #60

Boat: Lancer 27PS

I might has a suggestion, and it is ONLY and suggestion so don't beat me up.

There are two Amateur Radio digital networks that are very popular. To listen does not require a Ham License. But what is needed is the software and a Ham Radio Maidenhead Grid Locator map. The map is static so any copy, either hard or soft, will work.

The purpose of this to help identify station locations that you hear. The Maidenhead Grid is comprised of two letter, two numbers, two letter. An example would be my Grid locator of DM13. This puts me in the SoCal area and part of Arizona. To get more detailed, it would be DM13if. That puts me squarely in the San Diego region.

The software is called WSJT-X. This software is what is used by hams to send and receive location and signal reports. Takes about 1 minute of four 15-second bursts to complete the communication. Again, the contact is just signal strength and location. What is most important to the listener is the Maidenhead Grid Locator. With this information, one can get a general understanding of where signals are coming from. Now, a caveat. Digital will get through when voice will not. So unless the signal is super strong, it may only be usable via digital, such as pactor.

Ham bands are very close to Marine band, usually. I use the WSPR (Weak Signal Propagation Report) part of the WSTJ-X to see if my path for WinLink is open to certain areas.

Again, this is just a suggestion, nothing more. You can read this and say, meh - not for me. That is all good. Or, you might check it out and see if there is anything worth trying. If you have a Ham License (General Class or higher) you can get on WSPR and see who hears you and how well they hear you. You will need an internet connection to view the report map. I find that more stations hear me than I can hear. This is related to my antenna, and local interference such as my home solar panels.

WSJT-X
WSPR
Maidenhead Grid Locator System

Again, just a suggestion, nothing more.

Good luck.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, catamaran, ssb