Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 03:15   #1
Nor

What Raymarine wind transmitter do I have - was used with Raymarine C120W

I bought a boat that used to have a Raymarine C120W chart plotter. The wind sensor and radar dome was connected to this. When the C120W failed, the previous owner removed it and didn't use the wind sensor or radar. I'm trying to find out the model of the wind sensor so I could buy a new instrument for it, new or 2nd hand if the new ones are not compatible. Any idea what model I might have or what instrument (besides the big C120W chartplotter) would work with it?
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 05:15   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: What Raymarine wind transmitter do I have - was used with Raymarine C120W

I’m pretty sure the sensors of that era used the ST60 displays. These then piped NMEA 0183 to the C120 over the older style four pin seatalk connectors.
Old 28-06-2023, 05:17   #3
Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’m pretty sure the sensors of that era used the ST60 displays. These then piped NMEA 0183 to the C120 over the older style four pin seatalk connectors.
Thanks. I think the c120 is quite different from c120w, does that make a difference to the st60?
Old 28-06-2023, 05:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor View Post
Thanks. I think the c120 is quite different from c120w, does that make a difference to the st60?
The Seatalk system has a 3 pin concave plug, but looking on line the 120W doesn't have a matching plug as the previous C120 an C80 did.

However, you do have a SeatalkNG (new generation) NMEA 2000 connector that could be used. To convert a ST60 wind vane instrument which is the earlier Seatalk system you need a widget from RM to convert the signal. This can also include depth and speed etc as I have done using this:

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...nverter-r52131 or this: https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...talk-ng-e70010

Also see this: https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=229

However, the latest instrument displays are i60 and i70 at a steep price though.

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...hort-ng-t70216

Cheaper option is just to buy a ST60 wind display perhaps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1522840549
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 06:02   #5
Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Seatalk system has a 3 pin concave plug, but looking on line the 120W doesn't have a matching plug as the previous C120 an C80 did.

However, you do have a SeatalkNG (new generation) NMEA 2000 connector that could be used. To convert a ST60 wind vane instrument which is the earlier Seatalk system you need a widget from RM to convert the signal. This can also include depth and speed etc as I have done using this:

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...nverter-r52131 or this: https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...talk-ng-e70010

Also see this: https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=229

However, the latest instrument displays are i60 and i70 at a steep price though.

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...hort-ng-t70216

Cheaper option is just to buy a ST60 wind display perhaps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1522840549
Thanks, I'm not sure if I understand correctly. I don't have the C120W, but I had one that was connected to a wind transducer. I still have that wind transducer and trying to figure out what model it is and what display would work with it. Are you saying that I could use the i60 with an adaptor, or use an older ST60 screen without an adaptor?
Or do you mean that I have the newer SeatalkNG that should work directly with a newer i60?
Old 28-06-2023, 06:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I will take a guess given the likely age that it's a ST60, so a single display unit from FB Marketplace or e bay likely the cheapest option.

Any chance of going up the mast and bringing it down. You probably want to check and clean the electrical socket at the top of the mast as the o ring seal isn't the best and see that the bearings inside are clean and run smoothly. I need to do mine again too.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 06:23   #7

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Motor boat or sail boat?. If a sailboat do you have a telephoto lense - take a photo of the wind transducer.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 13:46   #8

Quote:

I’ve got both the C120 and the C120W and they both operate the same way. A NMEA 0183 input from the display unit for the wind sensor and depth sensor. With these older systems you will generally find the sensors themselves do not “talk” NMEA 0183 and need an intermediary device to interpret the sensors
Old 28-06-2023, 14:14   #9
Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’ve got both the C120 and the C120W and they both operate the same way. A NMEA 0183 input from the display unit for the wind sensor and depth sensor. With these older systems you will generally find the sensors themselves do not “talk” NMEA 0183 and need an intermediary device to interpret the sensors
Do you think a the St60 would be a compatible intermediary device?
Old 28-06-2023, 18:58   #10

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Im confused...

If you previously had a wind sensor that connected directly to the C120 then it can't be an ST60 compatible sensor.

The ST60 wind transducer has 5 wires that connect to the ST60 instrument, the instrument converts the voltage signals of the sensor to the 3 wire Seatalk signal accepted by the C120.

Hiw many wires does the current wind transducer cable have?
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 02:16   #11

Quote:
Do you think a the St60 would be a compatible intermediary device?

Probably there are a few devices that will work. But markcouz has the right idea. ^^^^^
Old 29-06-2023, 05:41   #12
Nor

Thanks! I'll have to check the cable/connector when I'm back at the boat.
Old 29-06-2023, 06:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

It doesn’t have the concave plug but you can break out the required connections from the big 19 pin circular plug on the back.

The white/red, white/black and white/yellow correspond to the red, black and yellow of the seatalk bus.
Old 24-09-2023, 20:41   #14
Nor

Now I'm at the boat and can see in person what cables I have. I have a new Raymarine autopilot controller with 5 pins plugs, and there are cables for an older (Raymarine?) system with 6 pins. And the charplotter is a Simrad, with nothing connected to it.
As I don't know if the current wind sensor is working at all, I'll probably buy a new nmea2000 wind sensor. Can it plug in directly into simrad, or do I need a nmea2000 network?
If there was an easy to way to connect the old Raymarine plugs to either the new autopilot display, or the simrad, then I could check if I get any wind data. But I guess I'd need some adaptors or converters that I don't have.

Old 24-09-2023, 21:20   #15

Quote:
Now I'm at the boat and can see in person what cables I have. I have a new Raymarine autopilot controller with 5 pins plugs, and there are cables for an older (Raymarine?) system with 6 pins. And the charplotter is a Simrad, with nothing connected to it.

As I don't know if the current wind sensor is working at all, I'll probably buy a new nmea2000 wind sensor. Can it plug in directly into simrad, or do I need a nmea2000 network?

If there was an easy to way to connect the old Raymarine plugs to either the new autopilot display, or the simrad, then I could check if I get any wind data. But I guess I'd need some adaptors or converters that I don't have.

Not trying to be rude, and I rarely say this. but I think it’s time you got some professional help. I’ve watched people blow extraordinary amounts of money in situations like the one you describe, most of it wasted, as they followed various bits of well meaning advice.

Raymarine seem to take great joy in producing various custom connectors and converters for the communication between their devices. Head off on the wrong path and you could spend, quite literally, thousands of dollars trying to get all this stuff to work and end up with boxes full of expensive and useless connectors. I can point to half a dozen boats around my marina with just this problem.

Get a pro in to go over the system and give you a quote to get it all talking. Then get another quote from someone else.

Tags
marine, raymarine, wind