Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2022, 10:08   #1

what size nut

I have a sailboat with an antenna at the top of the mast. I believe it is a Shakspeare 4200 or 5214. The type with a round can with the cable attaching at the bottom, through an L bracket and then a 3' SS whip. We are in the North and have to haul our boats every winter and take the masts down. I always just removed the whip part and leave the rest on the mast. A friend decided to help me and took off the cabling and removed the can from the L bracket and promptly drop the nut from the bottom of the L bracket in the drink. Thanks for all your help.

Spring may come someday and I need to get a new jam nut. I looked at Shakespeare and other places for replacement parts,bur of course, they want to sell me the whole assembly for between $70 to $90. All I need is the nut. One place seemed to indicate this is a 1-14 thread but I am not sure. Yes, I could go to the boat and measure the OD and guess on the thread but I was hoping someone here knows the size and maybe a source for such a thin nut. It would have to be SS or at least brass.
bhstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 11:34   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: what size nut

The thin nut that holds the antenna to the L-bracket is the same fine thread as the sleeve on a PL-259 plug. In 50+ years in radio, I’ve never, ever, seen the nuts on sale separately. The easiest thing to do is buy an SO-239 bulkhead connector, maybe $5, strip the two nuts off and throw the rest away if you don’t need it. The postage to ship the nuts from the antenna people is likely more than the cost of the nuts.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 11:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Or get three of them for $9 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/wlaniot-Bulkh...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Super answer, Bycrick.
Old 13-02-2022, 11:57   #4

My time isn’t worth very much anymore, but I wouldn’t waste it trying to find those nuts separately. And I’ll bet the shipping for the connectors is more than the parts.
Old 13-02-2022, 12:18   #5

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_connector

"The coupling shell has a 5⁄8 inch 24 tpi UNEF standard thread.[4] The most popular cable plug and corresponding chassis-mount socket carry the old Signal Corps nomenclatures PL-259 (plug) and SO-239 (socket).[13] These are also known as Navy type 49190 and 49194 respectively.[14] A double-ended SO-239 connector is designated as an SO-238.[citation needed]"

Confirmed on my bench that 24 TPI is correct. Major diameter of an SO-238 adapter calipers to .610"

Might be a truck stop CB aisle find as well.
Old 13-02-2022, 12:18   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Take a good look at your antenna if it’s several years old. It may just be time for a replacement or upgrade.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 12:36   #7

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Take a good look at your antenna if it’s several years old. It may just be time for a replacement or upgrade.
Stupid question maybe but - What would we be looking for? I looked at mine recently while replacing the cable, but from my uncomfortable position it just looked ‘normal’, and in my case seems to behave normally.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 14:24   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhstech View Post
I have a sailboat with an antenna at the top of the mast. I believe it is a Shakspeare 4200 or 5214. The type with a round can with the cable attaching at the bottom, through an L bracket and then a 3' SS whip. We are in the North and have to haul our boats every winter and take the masts down. I always just removed the whip part and leave the rest on the mast. A friend decided to help me and took off the cabling and removed the can from the L bracket and promptly drop the nut from the bottom of the L bracket in the drink. Thanks for all your help.

Spring may come someday and I need to get a new jam nut. I looked at Shakespeare and other places for replacement parts,bur of course, they want to sell me the whole assembly for between $70 to $90. All I need is the nut. One place seemed to indicate this is a 1-14 thread but I am not sure. Yes, I could go to the boat and measure the OD and guess on the thread but I was hoping someone here knows the size and maybe a source for such a thin nut. It would have to be SS or at least brass.

I don't know how far North you are,but here is one source of many:
https://canada.newark.com/mcm/27-220...tor/dp/39C0605

or just Google RF SO239 connector. / Cheers/Len
Old 13-02-2022, 18:01   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

Why not call Shakspeare and ask if they would throw one in the mail to you. Many companies do things like that. It is cheaper to give it away than to invoice it. Good customer service keeps customers.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 20:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
I’ve never, ever, seen the nuts on sale separately.
Well today is your lucky day..

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/thread-size~5-8-24/
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 05:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

These nuts from data-alliance should work for you.

https://www.data-alliance.net/bulkhe...-plated-brass/
Old 14-02-2022, 05:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack4566 View Post
This made me laugh this morning, don't know why, but I needed a few, thanks.
JoetheCobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 05:37   #13

I love McMC, but if I read that web page correctly, they’ve priced the nuts a $9-15 each, since a "package" contains one item. The other suggested source is much more interesting with the nuts and washers being specified as "corrosion resistant." At $0.61, they’re priced right, depending on how much the shipping is. But it’s still probably easier(and probably cheaper) to go to some local source, buy a fitting that includes the nut and throw the rest away. That violates my personal distaste for wastefully disposing of useful stuff, but the economics are clear in this case.
Old 14-02-2022, 06:02   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm constantly amazed at the resourceful folk on this forum !!!!!!

Well done !!!!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 06:37   #15

Thanks for all of the quick replies and great answers. I guess not much for sailors to do but lurk about on sailing forums and dream about warmer weather. I was considering making a nut on my 3D printer but that 24 TPI thread would be a bit tricky. But if I did that I could emboss around the OD "DO NOT REMOVE".
bhstech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size