Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 18:36   #1

What type of N2K backbone?

Hi,
Have reluctantly got to the point where I need to set up a small N2K network, so spending several hundred dollars to do what used to cost just about nothing!

I have Raymarine i50 depth and speed displays along with a Simrad is20 wind mounted close together above the companion way and intend to fit an i50 Tridata at the nav station below. These are not currently networked but are all N2K. No MFD's, radars or AP involved.

So I need to connect 3 x i50 displays, the simrad is20 and the simnet windvane cable into a backbone (the is20 cannot have the vane AND the network connected directly to it).
The i50 depth and speed currently have their analog transducers connected directly to them: these transducers could also be connected onto the future i50 tridata.

Looking at all the cables, tees, multi-ports and adaptors etc available in Seatalk ng and devicenet; it seems that I would be better of with a devicenet network as it would be easier to connect the Seatalk ng i50's and the is20 instument and windvane to devicenet rather than try to connect simnet to a Seatalk ng network.

Any comments welcome.
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 19:18   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What type of N2K backbone?

I recommend to use the micro cabling from Maretron. Use adapter drop cables for SimNet, Seatalk-NG etc.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote