Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01   #1

Boat: Cal 43 Summer Wind
What's Up with SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger ?

Anybody know what's going on with the new version of SPOT (Satellite GPS Messenger - aka SPOT 2)?

We used a crewmember's SPOT 1 last summer with much success and bought our own SPOT 2. Went to www.findmespot.com to get it registered and found out that it's been recalled. (And we can't get the online exchange form to work.)
Cal 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
My first rule to myself is to never buy a piece of equipment the first year it is out. You might try to contact them at
Phone:
1 (866) OK1-SPOT
1 (866) 651-7768
From outside of North America:
+1 (408) 933-4518

WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 15:57   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
The still haven't started shipping the replacements, from the sounds of it. This has really tarnished SPOT, I think - first shipping them 3 months late, then immediately having to recall them all. I think it's interesting they call it a "voluntary" recall. If you haven't yet activated your SPOT2, you can't - that's not very voluntary...

As far as not buying anything new the first year - that's true, but since this is just an improvement on the original design that's been out for several years, it really shouldn't have had major faults!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 16:08   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post

As far as not buying anything new the first year - that's true, but since this is just an improvement on the original design that's been out for several years, it really shouldn't have had major faults!
Unfortunately, that is just not the case and as is clearly shown here, this is not just an improvement, but a design change and subject to the same issues as a newly released piece of equipment or software. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:52   #5

Yep, it's a disappointment. WG - agree with you & we don't usually get "new" gadgets. As Scotte said, the "improvements" to the "new" SPOT didn't seem to warrant the same caution.

The way this is going, it probably won't get it figured out by the time we want to use it in the spring. Wonder if we can get our money back.
Old 14-02-2010, 05:43   #6

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
dear friends I am trying to get some personal fews about the SPOT system and would love to hear from people that have actualy used it eith in an emergency or just to keep in touch with friends. We havent heard of this system in england
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 18:11   #7

Spot 2 Replacements

Well, I finally got through, received my return envelope and, maybe it will work out after all. Here's the email I received yesterday from SPOT:

Dear valued SPOT customer,

Great News! SPOT Satellite GPS Messengers are starting to ship. Shipments to customers will begin on Thursday, February 18th, 2010. We expect to have all customer returned product out our doors by the first week of March.

As you know, in December we discovered that the SPOT 2 unit failed to meet battery and messaging operating specifications. At that time we issued a “voluntary” product recall. Okay, in this instance “voluntary” meant that SPOT was choosing to recall the product because we weren’t happy with it. We understand that this may have caused some confusion. Let’s be clear now - we continue to urge you to return your SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or less than 0-8053925 to be returned for replacement. Please visit www.findmespot.com/exchange for more info.

As we mentioned in our last e-mail communication to you, we put
SPOT 2 under rigorous product testing. We know you have been waiting, and are impatient to use your SPOT. We hear you! We want to assure you though that SPOT LLC has taken the necessary extra steps to ensure this product meets all our rigorous tests. We pulled the product and retested. This meant environmental and user tests. We were thorough – we need to be.

The SPOT product has initiated over 550 rescues worldwide and has sent millions of “peace of mind” messages. There is no way we are going to let you hike into the woods, drive into the mountains, sail off into the ocean, or just enjoy your weekend getaways with a product we are not satisfied with. SPOT is an emergency messaging device. We take that seriously. We take our commitment to our customers seriously. Therefore, we apologize for the wait, but we can now tell you the product is ready for your hands.

Sincerely,

feelgood - We used SPOT 1 to keep family (somewhat anxious) & friends informed of our good health & location (had the Tracker that links to a map). Didn't need it for any emergencies (didn't have any) so not sure how well it works for that.
Old 19-02-2010, 06:43   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
What is dissapointing about SPOT is that it doesn't work south of Hawaii ,more than 800 miles west of Mexico,or most of the South Pacific.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 08:21   #9

Boat: Privilege 39
I also have heard they are finally shipping the replacement units. Will be curious to hear, after a few months, if the new units are living up to expectations. I do hope so...

Yes highseas, they do not have global coverage...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 04:07   #10

Boat: 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser
I just bought the Spot II and am getting used to it. I'm finding the website slow and not entirely intuitive. After trying to set up some shared pages, I kept getting a "no displayable messages" message, then finding them blank.

After using Google I visited some of the shared pages in this thread. These pages give the same message, so I guess they are having problems. This is far from reassuring.

As for support, Spot does not seem to have a user forum and few FAQs. I started filling in their form and it turned out that they insist on the ESN, which is under the batteries in the unit, which does not happen to be handy right at the moment.

I'm getting a bad feeling...
allendick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 04:33   #11
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
spot less

I bought one in key west, I noticed positioning was not correct it put me on the highway, In berry islands made a very expensive call to them, I know they use digital gps not marine, but the position was off. The tech was insistent that it was correct, tried to explain in middle of ocean a little off could mean death, I got it so they could find me, he told me they would find me, not very reassuring, he had no idea of ocean travel and need for correct gps. I used it going out to 66 degrees worked ok had no sat pics, or maps on some of them, then last day north of bvi it did not recieve my messages, do not know what was wrong. works in bvi fine. Overall a good concept but they have to work on reliability. It kind of messes up purpose of getting it, now im worried if people do not get ok message they will send cg, I'll try it again on trip to bermuda and north hopefully works better. Always have the e-pirb if stuff happens
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite